PDA

View Full Version : What to do, with old shotgun shells.

Kuffar
01-30-2019, 07:30 PM
I started off, by making several, .40 cal. boolit flags. I made one for my grandson, when he graduated from the police academy, and one for Whitehall Ohio, Division of Police. I retired from the "Other side of the street". ��
They both had a Thin Blue Line, just below the field.
So, I had a whole bunch of empty 12 gauge hulls around, and thought I'd try a larger flag. This one has 2 blues, and a red line. I think I may put it in a firehose, frame.
This one contains:
793- 12 gauge bases
186- .40 cal.'s
52- 9 mm's
&. 1- .22

Kuffar
01-30-2019, 07:43 PM
Grandson's flag.

NoZombies
01-30-2019, 07:47 PM
If there was a like button, I'd use it.

Kuffar
01-30-2019, 08:15 PM
Thanks! BTW, I have 3 old .32 revolvers.

labradigger1
01-30-2019, 08:40 PM
Nice. There is a man in Morgantown WVa that makes those also. Makes crosses from them too. He sells every one too.

NoZombies
01-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks! BTW, I have 3 old .32 revolvers.

If you get the inclination, post some photos and tell us about them!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?123712-Please-show-off-you-re-32-s

JBinMN
01-30-2019, 09:09 PM
I like the idea & very cool!
:)

Something else I have seen before is when folks take the shotgun hulls & they drill out the primer cups big enough for clear Christmas light bulbs on strings & hot glue the bulb sockets into the primer pocket & make shotgun hull light strings.

I have seen them around patios, campers, & even as a few taverns & bars. I have seen them used on a Christmas tree yet, but I bet they would work.

Anyway, I just thought I would mention it if you want to do some more crafty things with your extra shotgun hulls.
;)

Have Fun! & Thanks for sharing your works!
:)

Conditor22
01-30-2019, 09:17 PM
Some people turn them into Christmas lights

Drm50
01-30-2019, 10:46 PM
We use to take a 12g & 16g empty and cut off the crimp for match boxes for light anywhere matches. They were know as West Virginia Zippos. Some guys got fancy and roughed up the bottom of one brass with a file to use as
a striker.

RP
01-30-2019, 11:16 PM
Its different its American and its hand made by a family member how much better of a gift could one want. I have things that were gave to me that may not be worth much to anyone else are the best gift because they took time to make something for me. I have pictures my son drew when he was little still pinned up out in my shop faded and stained and they will stay there where I can see them when ever I walk by.
And I am sure when someone ask your grandson about the flag he will proudly tell them you made it for him.

Kuffar
01-31-2019, 02:50 AM
Thanks guys! I've made the Christmas lights, some years back, but only made the one string. Red hulls are easy to come by, but I have had a harder time getting Remington greens. I had a couple of blue, and some 20 gauge yellows. Got a lot of "Make me a set"s, but no paying customers. Couldn't even get 'em to spring for the light string.
If any of you decide to try the flag route, you can separate the plastic hulls, from the bases, by putting them on an upturned iron. Takes about 2-3 minutes to come loose. Wear gloves! I used two sets of pliers.
And, you'll need lots of glue sticks, to hold the bases to the board.
On the idea of making gifts, I made the same grandson, a knife. I have learned not to show my wife anything. That Christmas, I was still making knife sheaths, for all of the other grandson's, and son-in-law's, on Christmas Eve. I haven't wanted to make a knife since.

Kuffar
01-31-2019, 03:03 AM
Ok, took me a second read, but I figured out the W.Va Zippos. The 16 goes into the 12. Roger! Put a small rubber band around the 16, and it'd be pretty water resistant too.

Kuffar
01-31-2019, 03:06 AM
Roger that RP. Got a few of those stuck up around here, too.

BigEyeBob
01-31-2019, 11:48 PM
I started off, by making several, .40 cal. boolit flags. I made one for my grandson, when he graduated from the police academy, and one for Whitehall Ohio, Division of Police. I retired from the "Other side of the street". ��
They both had a Thin Blue Line, just below the field.
So, I had a whole bunch of empty 12 gauge hulls around, and thought I'd try a larger flag. This one has 2 blues, and a red line. I think I may put it in a firehose, frame.
This one contains:
793- 12 gauge bases
186- .40 cal.'s
52- 9 mm's
&. 1- .22

Pretty nice . Ive cut the brass bases of and used them for draw pull handles on my camping gear boxes ,after depriming and screwing them onto the drawer fronts .

Winger Ed.
02-02-2019, 05:39 PM
I've seen them used to decorate a Christmas wreath. It looked pretty good.

Kuffar
02-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Those sound like great ideas! It's too bad, that the modern shot shell bases are usually brass plated steel. I had a few of these that were too rusty to use.If you happen across a treasure trove of old ones, those were actually all brass. I guess it's not too bad for the environment. Steel rusts away to nothing, in a few years. Of course, the plastic hulls will be with us forever.

enfield
02-02-2019, 11:38 PM
235138 believe it or not, this is how I found a dead mouse in my basement.

baileyboy
02-03-2019, 12:32 AM
They make good fire starters.

Baltimoreed
02-03-2019, 11:51 AM
I’ve made a string of Christmas lights out of assorted colored hulls that I bought from Boy Scouts at End of Trail. Pretty.

John Boy
02-03-2019, 02:50 PM
Kuffar - One Word ... WOW :drinks:

fiberoptik
02-04-2019, 03:37 AM
I use a 12 gauge brass head minus primer& plastic inside my Swiss K-31 receiver as bore protector for cleaning rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuffar
02-07-2019, 03:48 AM
Thanks guys for the ideas, and comments. Hey Enfield! What did you bait that 20 gauge shell with?
I just got done with another .40 cal flag, for my other grandson. He's due to graduate from the police academy in April. I have one more I have started, for my son-in-law. He just got hired on a PD near Dayton. He retired from the Army, and went back to LE.
All these family members, decided to be "blues" brothers. Ya'd a thought, one of 'em, would have been a dragon tamer.
Some day, I might have to make one to, actually, get some $ for. Boolits don't grow on trees!