PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Baltimoreed
01-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Was given this press? swage? to sell for a friend and am wondering what it is. There are no markings. Looks factory made. 234924 Thx
[The adapter shellholder on it will accept standard rcbs shellholders.]

ReloaderFred
01-30-2019, 10:53 AM
It looks like a Hollywood Junior press, made in the 1950's, or so.

Hope this helps.

Fred

No offers to sell, or buy may be made outside of S&S.

Baltimoreed
01-30-2019, 11:34 AM
That’s what it is Fred. Thanks. The hole on top is standard die thread. I think that I have some mystery shell holders in my shop that might work on this monster. Would it work as a swage press?

ReloaderFred
01-30-2019, 01:04 PM
It probably doesn't have enough leverage to act as a swage press, and I believe the Juniors were made of cast aluminum. Hit the base with a magnet and see if it's magnetic. If not, then it's aluminum and won't stand up to the stresses of bullet swaging.

I have two Hollywood Senior presses, and those were made for bullet swaging, especially my tall Senior.

https://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m606/ReloaderFred/BulletSwaging003-1.jpg (https://s1134.photobucket.com/user/ReloaderFred/media/BulletSwaging003-1.jpg.html)

ReloaderFred
01-30-2019, 01:08 PM
The Hollywood shellholders have a threaded shank that goes through the base, and is held in place by a threaded nut. If your mystery shellholders are like this, they may fit. Those style were made by Hollywood, CH and a couple of other makers back when this press was in production.

Pressman
01-30-2019, 06:15 PM
The Junior has an aluminum base and top. It was sold as a reloading and swaging press. The design looks weak but swaging is possible, though I would not recommend it. Finding swaging dies that will work is another problem.

Shellholders, if there is not one installed then you will have a heck of a time getting one to work. The thickness of the carrier requires a special nut. Any of the "H" type shellholders will work, just tightening the nut is an issue.

It's a nice press for handgun reloading.
Ken