PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a new press last night....

cwlongshot
01-30-2019, 06:39 AM
I have had many presses. I have 6-8 under one of my benches. I havent found “the one” yet. But liked most of them I have had. My Ammo master probably stayed bolted up longest. Not counting the Rock Chucker I started with. Probably the Coax lasted least and was sold off. The Lyman T-Mag was also short lived. I liked the little Summit press allot and have delegated that to mobile use. Small very strong and works perfectly in my hitch loading press setup!
But I have liked and wanted a turret again. The T7 seems to be THE PRESS FOR this. Its elevated cost is whats kept me from just buying.

Well last year Lyman brought out the 8 and at a cost of less than half. I waited for some reviews and all seem very favoriable sans the primjng issues and I dont prime on my single stage presses anyhow so this is meaningless to me.

Im currently running a Redding Ultramag. Its side bars make fitting my hands in very frustrating. The press is very strong and works perfectly otherwise. It should be here next week.

Anyone have one?

CW

pressonregardless
01-30-2019, 03:19 PM
I don't have one but hope you'll let us know how you like it when you
have a chance to check it out.

Conditor22
01-30-2019, 03:45 PM
Redding Ultramag is confusing. they design a solid open front press then put the bars in the way --- why? basically, it's no different than and O press turned sideways :( -- OK got that off my chest

I'm also interested in your results, I'm looking for a nice turret press that doesn't break the bank

Shawlerbrook
01-30-2019, 03:59 PM
I have bought and traded for many over the years, but my Rockchucker is still my go to tool.

dverna
01-30-2019, 09:29 PM
Many times it is cheaper in the long run to buy what you really want and not compromise.

W.R.Buchanan
01-31-2019, 05:55 PM
Lots of times it is also best to just buy a Buchanan Precision Machine Hand Press and be done with bolting presses to a bench.

I have been using mine for the last 2 years and no longer have a need for a bolt down single stage press. Everything single stage gets loaded at the dinning room table except bulk ammo like .40 S&W .45 ACP and .223 which gets loaded on the D550B..

I recently loaded 200 .30 cal carbine from start to finish in 2 hours and 10 minutes. That would be hard to do on any bolt down single stage press. I might add that I was watching Fox News in the living/dining room during all this while sitting down and was quite comfortable doing it. Definitely better than standing in front of a bench on a cement floor in a cold or hot garage.

Everything you need to load several calibers fits neatly in this nice bag from LAPG with plenty of room to spare.

Things to ponder during your quest for the perfect Reloading Press.

Randy.

3GRacing
01-31-2019, 06:17 PM
I have an old Model 25 that has a permanent home on my bench. If theres no more room under your bench for the Ultramag... ...send me a PM.

flashhole
02-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Let us know your opinion of the Lyman Turret. My favorite press is the Ultramag. I don't find the side bars to be an issue. The press design requires the side bars that adds significant strength to th C design.

Interesting comment you made about the Co-Ax. I had one, did not like it at all, I thought the ergonomics sucked, sold it in favor of the Ultramag and have two on the bench. Lots think the Co-Ax is the epitome of presses. It takes out the trash, walks the dog, changes the oil on your car and does grocery shopping among its many features. If it could dispose of a mother-in-law I would buy another one.

Keep us posted.