PDA

View Full Version : Does GOEX leave a crud ring

corvette8n
10-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I am getting such a thick crud ring with pyrodex powder and pellets and T7 pellets
that I bought a pound of Goex FF
Do I use normal strength 209 primers in my inline or those lowpower inline primers. I have tried Win T7 primers,Rem cleanbore, Federal muzzleloading primers and get a ring with pyro or T7. The ring is so thick after the first shot I broke my range rod trying to get a patch down the bore. I hope to get to the range in the next couple of days to try the Goex.

oldhickory
10-11-2008, 08:10 PM
I've gone through several hundred pounds of Goex 2&3f powder over the years in .45/70, flintlocks, and rifle-muskets and never had any problems with it using a proper lube to help soften the fouling. You can make your own from bees wax and Crisco, or use one of the commercial brands out there like SPG, Moose Milk, or that minty smelling stuff that comes in a tube. You shouldn't have any problems using GEN-U-INE black powder, (as long as you use a good lube to soften the fouling).:drinks:

Bigjohn
10-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I have not yet had the experience of use the substitute BPowders but mainly 'Curtis & Harvey' and GOEX powders.

Only in one or two rifles did I ever find anything like a 'Crud ring'. For me, it was never consistent or extreme.

Now and again one would appear and require some effort to seat the RB but once you were through it, it was clear bore to the top of the powder column.

Also, it did not appear to affect the accuracy not that it mattered as I was probably not that good a shot at that time.

I've had no issues lately with the .40 or .75 cal Flinters.

John

10-11-2008, 11:42 PM
You have discovered why I experimented with and quickly abandoned Pyrodex some 30 years ago! Super hard fouling. Regular BP of most any variety with large quantity of soft lube and frequent cleaning... no more problem. Some swear by Pyrodex which is OK but regular black works so well I haven't looked back. I know.... better velocity (and higher pressure!), "self cleaning & lubricating", non-corrosive, safer, 1, 2 or 3 pellets- oh so handy, and so on. I've heard all the claims.

Geraldo
10-12-2008, 12:28 PM
You broke your rod after one shot? Had you shot this rifle previously and not cleaned it afterward?

corvette8n
10-12-2008, 06:41 PM
I have shot this rifle about 30 times. And I get a tremendus crud ring after one shot. That is why I am trying different primers, powders, etc. I hope to come upon a combination that will allow a followup shot without cleaning. This is my 3rd muzzleloader, First was a caplock that i gave to my son. The second one I sold, after I bought the current CVA.

Baron von Trollwhack
10-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I do not shoot an inline nor use pyrodex. I have seen a similar problem to what you describe with my traditional side hammer guns and BP under limited circumstances. Those were low humidity when shooting, thin, lightly greased patching with large charges, or mixing a variety of modern, petro/synthetic components in the patch lube as in testing.

I stick with a beeswax/tallow mixture now typically at 45% BW the remainder home rendered tallow for patches or GG bullets, except when I substitute coon oil for tallow. The lube must stay soft on firing if it is to be useful with BP.

BvT

Old Ironsights
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
The CrudRing is much more prominent from 777 than Pyrodex.

777 is Ascorbic Acid based, and one of the byproducts of combustion is essentially... hard/burnt sugar caramel.

Whatever Pyrodex uses reacts with Sulfur more than KNO3 in BP does, so you can get somewhat of a ring from that, but not as bad as the 777 Sugar Ring.