PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 32WCF

High Desert Hunter
12-04-2005, 05:44 PM
:Fire: I just aquired a new sizing die to reduce the size of my 32 cal bullets. I am using a .310 sizing die, and can fianlly nudge a bullet through the cylinder. This is for a custom 32WCF/32H&R that my wife bought me for my birthday this time last year. I hear rumour that Ruger 32 calibers use .308 barrels, the same ones used for the 30 Carbine, I am hoping that this will cut down on the leading in the cylinder, and barrel, which is the worst I have seen in any Ruger. A little birdy tells me I may be getting the 98gr RCBS SWC mould for this gun, and the 405gr FNGC RCBS mould for the trusty 1895GS. One of these days I will pick up another 32WCF pistol, and a companion leveraction, although from looking around, the long guns are way out of my price range on my income. It is a fun little round to shoot, should work nicely on the jackrabbits and coyotes we have around here, once I find a good load combo for it, thinking it needs a taller front sight, it shoots 115gr bullets about 6" over point of aim at 25 yards.

Dave Beeman

Bman
12-04-2005, 07:27 PM
When I bought my Ruger in .45 I had trouble with undersized cylinder throats. I think I read an article on Gun Blast.com about this and that article mentioned that some of the .32s were the same way. If your bullet gets sized too small leaving the cylinder it will lead like crazy when it hits the barrel. Worth checking out.

D.Mack
12-04-2005, 08:14 PM
AKBman, although I've heard the same rumor about 32 Rugers being .308, (and I may have even repeated it) mine measures .312 , it likes the 32-98 rcbs bullet, but the 32-90's are what my sights are regulated for. Its an older fixed sight Bisley so I usually hold low with the 32-98, or dead on with the 32-90's. D.M.

Bman
12-04-2005, 09:11 PM
I believe that would do it a .310 or smaller bullet in a .312 bore.

StanDahl
12-04-2005, 10:28 PM
I've got the Ruger Buckeye 32 H&R/32-20, which is what I assume you have, and its bore is .312". If you size to .310 you're going to lead it up quick. I had a similar problem with undersized bullets (.311")...lubed with Lee liquid alox they leaded badly, but with Felix lube they did okay. When cast to at least .313" or better, liquid alox was all I needed. Deputy Al set me straight on that, and now I shoot the RCBS 32-098 SWC as cast (.314") and it does very well, at least with the 32 H&R. (I can't remember if I've used those with 32-20 yet.) I've made up a bunch of 313293 86 gr WC's that should do pretty well also.

You can get some interesting info from Paco Kelly on this peestol, check here:http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm. They are built to withstand just about anything you can put through them, unfortunately, the twist rate doesn't support higher speed with accuracy. Get yourself one of these in 30 Carbine so that sizer die expenditure doesn't go to waste. Stan

High Desert Hunter
12-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I haven't slugged my bore, but it leads like crazy with bullets sized to .314, .313, and I haven't tried . 312 or .311. I will see how these smaller ones shoot, I do know that the bullets still will not slide into the throat of the barrel, I am not sure if this has the original barrel. It started life as a Buckeye Special, but it is now a 4 3/4" Fixed sight revolver with color case finish. It is I would guess set up for the 32 Mag cylinder, as it shoots so high with the 115gr bullets. I am looking forward to casting some bullets from the new mould.

Dave Beeman

9.3X62AL
12-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Check throat diameters--I'll bet they are smaller than groove diameter to set up leading to the degree you are describing. Once a Ruger S/A revolver gets its dimensional poetry rhyming, it stops creating tubular lead mines. If the groove is .312", the throats need to be AT LEAST that diameter, and .0005"-.001" larger is even better

High Desert Hunter
12-05-2005, 01:29 AM
I agree wholeheartedly, I can deal with the lead in the barrel, it comes out, but it is a rotten bugger to get the leading out of the cylinder itself, it leaves a ring of flattened out lead right at the step, and I have yet to find a brush that will clean it out, I had to imprivise a scraping tool to get it out.

Dave

High Desert Hunter
12-05-2005, 08:52 PM
So, just for my own knowledge, if my bore is .312-.314, how small would a bullet have to be to slide down the bore? Would a .270 bullet slide throught there? I will have to slug my bore, and if it is that big, I will have to have the throats opened up some. I appreciate the replies, can't wait to use the new moulds.

Dave Beeman