PDA

View Full Version : Help with these Proof hulls

Hogtamer
01-27-2019, 07:44 PM
Bikerbeans gifted me some 20 ga FB slugs and these "proof" hulls that I want to be sure about before I load. The hulls are clearly marked Danger, High Pressure Proof Loads. Apparently these are what ammo manufacturers use to identify their loads in development and I'm trying to identify who made the hull, thus what primer it contains. They are 3" straight wall, .031 thickness, hard smooth plastic like AA or Rem. STS. There is a red cup basewad that appears to be pressed some way into the hull with a cavity for the primer. The removed primer is copper colored but with a red substance over the flash hole. BB had a guess as to these hulls and I have my own, just thought maybe someone here would have a definitive answer. Maybe pics will help.
234774 234775

W.R.Buchanan
01-28-2019, 03:15 PM
I think those are regular AA Hulls that were loaded with "Proof Loads" for testing. As long as they are not visibly damaged they should be fine.

Proof Loads are fired under controlled conditions to test either guns or ammunition.

That said,, I would not load those hulls to the upper limits, use them for low recoil practice loads or smaller game hunting loads. Those pigs you are shooting would not know the difference between a 1200 fps load and a 1600 fps load, and I'm sure you already know that.

Randy.

Hogtamer
01-28-2019, 04:14 PM
they are new unfired hulls.

W.R.Buchanan
01-28-2019, 11:07 PM
Then there should be no problem at all.

Randy

bikerbeans
01-29-2019, 04:06 PM
HT,

Deprime a hull and see if a fed or win 209 will sest tight. Might tell you which side of the "pond" they were made.

BB