PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag suggestions

Battis
01-27-2019, 06:38 PM
I've always wanted a .44 magnum handgun. Any suggestions - Ruger, S&W...
It won't be a carry or hunting gun.

Eagle59
01-27-2019, 06:49 PM
If you want to shoot hand loads buy Ruger. If shooting factory jacketed S&W is good. I like my hand loads a little warm and Ruger is much better for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmortell
01-27-2019, 06:59 PM
don't know how much you already know but rugers are good for pushing loads hot, but imo the mechanical feel isn't as nice as smith and wessons. then smiths are a bit the opposite. if you don't plan on heavy loads a lot id probably go smith for the feel of it, or ruger if you do, either super blackhawk or super redhawk. I like the 9.5" SRH cause I can get a lot of power with good accuracy and low recoil, the downside is its massive but if you don't carry it around much it don't matter. don't know much about other common store brands maybe Taurus but they never felt good from the bit ive seen them.

osteodoc08
01-27-2019, 07:38 PM
Get a 6.5” Smith 629 classic hunter model and don’t look back. They’re not as fragile as everyone makes them seem. This is coming from a Ruger lover. Second would be an older Redhawk Hunter so you can scope it if desired.

Tom W.
01-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Ruger Super Redhawk. It comes with rings, too and shoots quite well.

Rick R
01-27-2019, 08:44 PM
I have S&W and Ruger .44 Mags. They both are solid shooters. I’d suggest that you shop around and find several of each to see if something “speaks” to you.

RED BEAR
01-27-2019, 08:45 PM
Don't think you could go wrong with either. Had a one of five thousand sw's that i ran a heck ofa lot of very hot loads through with out a hitch.unfortunately it was stolen and i have missed it ever since. My ruger super black hawk is built like a tank but just doesn't feel as nice as the smith. Both shoot great or at least the sw used to.

lefty o
01-27-2019, 08:51 PM
my first question is, whats your budget?

nun2kute
01-27-2019, 08:54 PM
I got a 629 Classic 5" that's loads of fun to shoot. But I prefer the 629-6 with 4" tube much better for reasons I cant explain. I prefer the Pachmayr finger grips over factory grips also.

Mal Paso
01-27-2019, 09:03 PM
S&W has the trigger. I like the 6" half lug.

labradigger1
01-27-2019, 09:05 PM
Super redhawks here. They take what you give them.

Battis
01-27-2019, 09:11 PM
As far as budget - I'll probably look for a used gun. I see them online in the $600 range. There's a few shops around that I'll check out. I'm pretty limited to guns that are already in MA, unless I find one that can be shipped that's MA compliant. Friggin' communists.
I do have a Ruger Old Army that's a great gun, and I think it has a Blackhawk frame.

MOA
01-27-2019, 09:20 PM
This one's been working for me in all venues.

https://i.postimg.cc/jjK8pT4w/20180701-134722.jpg (https://postimg.cc/TK7qbZSf)

https://i.postimg.cc/5yxbyDJ6/20180701-134757.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xJFWFxc2)

Battis
01-27-2019, 10:28 PM
Is that the Dirty Harry gun? Nice.

Texas by God
01-27-2019, 10:37 PM
The regular Blackhawk in 4-5/8". Not the Super B for me. A 5" S&W m29 would also serve very nicely. I would shoot .44 Special loads in them mostly.

Earlwb
01-27-2019, 10:48 PM
I am pretty happy with my Taurus .44 M44 Mag revolver. it has a 8 and 3/8 inch barrel. it is also factory ported too. I mounted a scope on my example.

Duster340
01-27-2019, 11:04 PM
I own a shoot both Ruger and S&W 44 mags. My go to is the 4" 629. One really can't go wrong with either brand.

samari46
01-28-2019, 12:04 AM
I've a Ruger Redhawk and after the first shooting session replaced the factory grips with Pachmayer De accelerators. The trigger guard would smack the living daylights out my finger. Rugers are heavy which goes a long way towards migitating some of the recoil. I as a rule don't go faster than factory ammo. The newer S&W's have the endurance package which means that they won't shake loose as fast as they used to. Used to watch the steel shooters smacking down the targets at 200 yds with both Rugers and S&W's. From what I remember they were about evenly split between the brands. Frank

am44mag
01-28-2019, 01:16 AM
My 629 handles hot loads just fine (just don't try to turn your 44 mag into a 444 Marlin), and has one of the best triggers of any gun I've ever fired. It's stupidly accurate and is an absolute joy to shoot.

MOA
01-28-2019, 06:00 AM

No, the dirty harry gun did not have the full length lug under barrel, and also came with wood grips. This baby is dead on at one hundred yards.

This model which is the "29 Classic" was I think only made and offered for a very short time back in the early 1990's. The rear sight is removable if a scope is wanted. It is tapped and drilled for a factory scope base.

smkummer
01-28-2019, 06:19 AM
The best part of most magnums is its (44) special counterpart.

Static line
01-28-2019, 06:31 AM
My first 44 mag was a Virginia Dragoon,awesome revolver and wish I still had it.Then I bought a S&W 629 Classic with 8-3/8" barrel because somebody told me they get 1-1/2" groups at 80 yards with it,scoped out with a red dot.They weren't lying.I have actually got some 4 inch groups at a hundred yards with mine.I still have it but my Ruger Super Black Hawk sees more action.I've shot some pretty healthy handloads in the 629 but I wouldn't want to feed it a steady diet of the hot loads.The Ruger is a tank.My bad wrists with the Carpal Tunnel doesn't allow me to shoot hot anymore and even some light loads in a 44 mag are stout.I have since moved more to my 44 special BlackHawk and my 45 Colt.BH.wich are more fun by the way so give that some thought too.You did say it wasn't going to be for carry or hunting so why punish yourself.I know plenty guys that just had to have a 44 mag,only to be sorry after they shot it for a short time or only one time,when they couldn't hit the broad side of the barn because of the punishing recoil.It takes a lot of shooting to master it.

Paul105
01-28-2019, 10:34 AM
See if you can find someplace you can try the various models/configurations. Only you will know which gun is for you.

Paul

Shuz
01-28-2019, 11:55 AM
See if you can find someplace you can try the various models/configurations. Only you will know which gun is for you.

Paul

For my money, Paul105's is the best suggestion offered. In Spokane, we have a place called Sharp Shooting range where you can try all kinds of handguns before you buy. Perhaps there is a similar outfit in the northeast?

Battis
01-28-2019, 01:41 PM
There is a place within 5 miles that used to offer guns to try before buying, but I'm not sure they still do that after the 3 or so suicides in the past few years. I will give them a call.
I'm sort of an impulse buyer when it comes to guns but this one I'm going to take some time and do some research. I've looked around on local websites and there are a few 44 mags available. It's funny but gunshops around here are like barber shops - they're closed on Mondays.

Let me throw this out - I have several semiautos in various calibers but I do not have a 1911 in .45, though I do have a .45 S&W revolver (1917). What would be the better to have - 1911 .45 or 44 mag?
Again, not a carry gun.

Static line
01-28-2019, 01:58 PM
"What would be the better to have - 1911 .45 or 44 mag?"
Two entirely different animals.I shot 1911's in informal competitions and own about 5 of them now,even one from 1942.All Colts by the way.I had to use a Dillon 650 to pump out the cartridges because of all the shooting I did with a Les Bare I used to have for comp.You really should be a handloader cause you can burn through a box of cartridges in a hurry and that can get expensive but the 1911 is fun to shoot.It does require a good bit of time to be able to handle one well though.The 44 mag.? Well you already know pretty much about that.It can bite.Fun to me is something kind to my carpal tunnel now.Most of my shooting was at 50 feet with my 1911's but if you want to shoot at and hit a steel gong at 100 yards,then get the 44 mag.,44 special or 45 Colt.

reddog81
01-28-2019, 01:59 PM
Let me throw this out - I have several semiautos in various calibers but I do not have a 1911 in .45, though I do have a .45 S&W revolver (1917). What would be the better to have - 1911 .45 or 44 mag?
Again, not a carry gun.

Now you've gone and opened a huge can of worms… A 1911 or a 44 Mag? The only correct answer is both!

The .44 Mag is definitely the more versatile gun with the option to shoot Magnum or the lighter .44 Special loads. However the 45 ACP 1911 is probably going to be much easier to find in your price range and the ammo is going to be much cheaper and easier to find.

A $700 to $800 price range would really open the options for both the .45 or the .44 however you should be able to find something with a little searching in the $600 range. For the revolver are you looking at single action or double action?

Battis
01-28-2019, 02:09 PM
I have many single action antique revolvers, and I find that I mostly shoot my Ruger Speed Six and S&W Airweight in single action, so I'm thinking single action in .44 mag. As far as deciding between a 1911 or 44 mag...they're both on my "to get" list, but ****, I'm running out of time (that's my latest excuse to get another gun. I've worn out the "it's an investment" line).

murf205
01-28-2019, 10:59 PM
234848Battis, are you going to cast for this gun and what level are you going to load it to? The Ruger SRH is as accurate as any revolver I've ever owned and it is strong as a tank. I coated mine to kill the glare for hunting. The Smith & Wesson is no slouch either. I have both but when I head to the range I take the SRH because it's so rewarding to shoot. The weight keeps it from pounding you and it has a pretty good trigger to boot-not S&W good- but good none the less. I shoot 250 gr cast at 1000 fps very comfortably.

MT Chambers
01-28-2019, 11:02 PM
As far as budget - I'll probably look for a used gun. I see them online in the $600 range. There's a few shops around that I'll check out. I'm pretty limited to guns that are already in MA, unless I find one that can be shipped that's MA compliant. Friggin' communists.
I do have a Ruger Old Army that's a great gun, and I think it has a Blackhawk frame.

Well that rules out my fav. the Freedom Arms '83.

megasupermagnum
01-28-2019, 11:18 PM
A 44 magnum handgun, but not for hunting or carry? So only a range toy? Might as well get a desert eagle, plenty of fun. Heavy as can be, plus semi auto. If you go single action revolver, realize it is a whole different ball game from double action revolvers or light recoiling single actions. Maybe you will find it a fun challenge, maybe not. My choice is Ruger Redhawk if going revolver. The super redhawk is also good, if you like the models they have. I like the shorter barrel, blued model myself. Don't even consider a new Smith and Wesson. If you have to have a model 29 or variant, buy an old one. I've come to the unqualified opinion that S&W N-frames never could handle a lifetime of full power 44 magnum ammo. If you keep it to current factory loads or lighter, you will be better off. A Ruger lasts a lot longer, and you would have to be a silhouette shooter to wear one out. Dan Wesson is a very good option too, and would be the next best option after a Ruger Redhawk or super redhawk. A Dan Wesson might even be better for a range gun with the interchangeable barrels and larger size.

I would like to add that I just paid $704 for my Ruger Redhawk 5.5" blued model 5014, brand new. A good option, close to your budget.

Battis
01-29-2019, 12:04 AM
Don't hunt, don't need any more carry guns. I'll load my own at moderate levels.
Check out these local listings for Desert Eagles. The store is in MA.
Magnum Research Desert Eagle (NOT for sale to MA residents) 44 mag $1,599.99
Magnum Research Desert Eagle (NOT for sale to MA residents) 44 mag $1,899.99

Bookworm
01-30-2019, 08:46 AM
I am pretty happy with my Taurus .44 M44 Mag revolver. it has a 8 and 3/8 inch barrel. it is also factory ported too. I mounted a scope on my example.

I have one of these among my 44 Mag revolvers. Mine was made in the early 90s. I've had it for almost 20 years, and purchased it from the original owner (a friend of mine).

I've shot many hundreds of rounds through it, with zero problems. It is an easy shooter, I think the grip design works very well. I've not mounted a scope on mine, but have considered a reddot of some sort.

I load up 44 special equivalent for my 115lb wife to shoot, she loves it.

Bigslug
01-31-2019, 12:29 AM
Again, not a carry gun.

Well. . .in my book, owning a 1911 is a moral imperative. Comparing it to a .44 Mag. . .? Ok, I'll try.

The thing I've learned with casting bullets is that you can generate A LOT MORE penetration than you'd expect by simply manipulating shape and alloy. A typical expanding police duty load will stop in three, sometimes four, gallon milk jugs. I've gotten NINE out of a hard alloy 230 grain LBT LFN launched at standard military hardball speed of 830 fps. Figure you can get roughly equivalent performance out of any of the cowboy-era handgun cartridges that start with the number 4. These were rounds that were considered adequate to "**** both you AND the horse you rode in on".

The .44 Magnum can obviously be loaded to do exactly this, with the option of considerably more. The question is, "Do we NEED any more?" If you need long range, then yes. If you're trying to lethally anchor any critter from an elk down from a solid cardiovascular hit inside of 20 yards, probably not. . .at least so long as you put the right bullet in it.

A 1911 as JMB designed it to be made is a SERIOUS go-to-war accessory in that it is bomb-proof and readily field-serviceable, using nothing but its own parts as disassembly tools. My one and only handgun (if forced) would be a 1911 on those attributes alone. Diving into revolver guts is not for the faint-hearted, and I still marvel at all the consecutive mechanical miracles that have to occur to properly rotate and align multiple chambers in sequence.

That said, if you spend real time on one, a DA revolver with sensible loads in it may be the best handgun marksmanship training tool you can own, and the fundmentals you burn in with one translate over to correcting trigger-slap habits I've seen develop with single action guns like - guess what? - a 1911.

Truthfully, my revolver preferences of late are creeping more in the direction of the .357 Magnum. Given the penetration capabilities of cast that I outlined above, I'd rather have the lighter recoil and the lighter gun. That said, big heavies launched at 1000 fps or less are FUN!

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-31-2019, 01:15 AM
I really like the S&W and is MY first choice. But they aren't for people on a budget...add to the high price, the new ones can have some issues right out of the box and the nice used ones cost more than new ones, just because most everyone knows the new ones have some issues.

Ruger's are very good as well...would be my second choice. They are more affordable, but ususally have rough/heavy triggers, but they can be fixed. I like the Redhawk. I think the super redhawk is a tank, which is OK if you like heavy guns. The Black hawk is excellent if you are OK with single action.

Dan Wesson's are great guns, but are scarce in my area...but they would be my 3rd choice.

Rossi's can be good (pre-Taurus ownership), but they will have the larger SAAMI rifle specs.

Taurus...Only if you can find a used, known, well built (to spec)...new ones are a 50-50, meaning you got a 50% chance to get a lemon. Also, Taurus don't hold their value.

DougGuy
01-31-2019, 02:56 AM
I've always wanted a .44 magnum handgun. Any suggestions - Ruger, S&W...
It won't be a carry or hunting gun.

Here's an alternative to think about too.. Ruger recent production in the medium framed New Vaquero and New Model Blackhawk Flattop revolvers, especially some of the Lipsey's runs, have been the best fit and finished revolvers that Ruger has turned out, consistenty, in a LONG time. I was very impressed with the fine workmanship built into these THREE DIGIT PREFIX revolvers.

So.. How about a 44 Special in the medium framed Ruger that is safe to handload to 25,000psi which is basically a 250gr boolit at 1200fps, this is stepping right inside the bottom two steps of 44 magnum performance. Lighter gun, smaller and quick handling, less recoil, less powder required, accurate, more fun to shoot than the full size models with a full snort of H110.

Just something to think about.

Static line
01-31-2019, 07:42 AM
Here's an alternative to think about too.. Ruger recent production in the medium framed New Vaquero and New Model Blackhawk Flattop revolvers, especially some of the Lipsey's runs, have been the best fit and finished revolvers that Ruger has turned out, consistenty, in a LONG time. I was very impressed with the fine workmanship built into these THREE DIGIT PREFIX revolvers.

So.. How about a 44 Special in the medium framed Ruger that is safe to handload to 25,000psi which is basically a 250gr boolit at 1200fps, this is stepping right inside the bottom two steps of 44 magnum performance. Lighter gun, smaller and quick handling, less recoil, less powder required, accurate, more fun to shoot than the full size models with a full snort of H110.

Just something to think about.

Without a doubt.Plus#1

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2019, 07:50 AM
if I could have only one it would be my 4 5/8s Blackhawk but who could have just one 44 mag!

MOA
01-31-2019, 09:38 AM
That's just what I love about this forum, it is such a big room with so many knowledgeable folks with a total experience unmatched by any small group of friends one might have at a local level. If one is wanting to think outside the box on anything doing with casting, shooting, or loading, this is the place to be.

fatelk
01-31-2019, 01:15 PM
Not to take anything away from any other posts, as there are a lot of excellent ideas here, but this is just my opinion based on my experience.

Personally I’m a fan of S&W revolvers. I have mostly older guns, a couple 29s, a 629, a 66 and a 686. They’re what I’m comfortable with and used to. I like the balance, feel, and triggers. I’ve tried to like Ruger double action revolvers but they’re not my favorite. I’m sure I could learn to like them if I had to, but I’m good with my S&Ws.

I don’t hot-rod my loads. Factory ballistics are fine for me (or lighter sometimes). If I did push them hard I’d have to learn to love the Ruger. I’ve never worn a gun out, but don’t want to either. Too many people say a steady diet of heavy loads is bad for a model 29, I have to listen. I don’t baby my S&Ws but I don’t want to abuse them either.

All that said, if I had to choose one handgun I think it would be a good .357 mag or a 1911. One of my favorite guns is an old S&W model 66, 4” stainless police gun from 1972. I picked it up used a few years ago at a local shop for $350. Pretty hard to beat.

osteodoc08
01-31-2019, 02:04 PM

Well, considering they reportedly used a model 57 as a stand in, which was a 6” half lug, probably not, but a good revolver in its own right.

Jtarm
02-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Ruger Bisley.

Gunz569
02-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Anyone eVer load super Blackhawk 44 mag with 265interlock. Just bought the gun . I have a 29 smith. Didn't feel it was safe for that gun ?

atr
02-01-2019, 09:25 PM
I have a ruger and a S&W....I prefer the S&W because of the way it loads with its swing-out cylinder.
I suggest you get one with at least a 6" barrel
make sure whichever you buy fits your hand because with heavy loads having a good firm comfortable grip is essential.

what I dislike about BOTH the Ruger and the S&W is how small the trigger guard is. I would prefer if it were 20% larger, that way shooting with gloves would be more do-able. With the trigger guards as they are and wearing gloves its a tight fit and the chance of lighting off a round before you are ready (trust me I know) is great.

Forrest r
02-02-2019, 08:37 AM
I'd start with what distance would most of your shooting be?. Then accuracy expectations & lastly how much bullet/load experimentation will you plan on doing with your 44mag/1911?.

I tend to like firearms with adjustable sights but I do a lot of shooting from 50ft to 50yds.

W.R.Buchanan
02-02-2019, 05:40 PM
The problem with the Smiths is that they hit the web of your hand really hard. The new X Frame grips help out alot but the Ruger Bisley Grip is by far the easiest on your hands.

My first 44 was a S&W M29 with 8-3/8" bbl in 1978 That gun beat the snot out of my hands so I sold it around 1983. Didn't get another .44 until 2006 when I got my SBH Bisley. I had the barrel cut to 5" and the gun is a joy to shoot.

Also look at getting either a Ruger 77/44 Bolt Action Carbine or a Marlin 1894 CB in.44 spec/mag.

Then you'll have the whole package to enjoy forever.

As far as "Commies?" I think we all need to realize that Liberal = Progressive = Socialist = Democrat = Communist, and states like yours and mine are at the fore front of that movement. The one thing they need to tip the scales is Serious Gun Control, and the next time they get control of this govt they will pass confiscation laws and come to get to the guns. You need to take this seriously as it is at a tipping point right now in CA and MA and NY where Democrats control the entire state. Just look at the insanity they are spewing, this is not coming from America, it is coming from Russia and China. Nothing they are pushing benefits this country in any way, and all of it benefits the Commies in every way. Beware the Useful Idiots.

Randy

daniel lawecki
02-03-2019, 04:31 PM
I have a 629 SW and a Ruger Super Blackhawk and like them both

Tom W.
02-03-2019, 09:43 PM
The Smiths sure are pretty, but I can shoot the SRH better and more accurately than any SA revolver.... And I've had a few Rugers in my time. The first was a SBH with a 10 inch barrel that I sold as soon as I could and bought a stainless steel SBH with the fluted cylinder. I kept it for several years and traded it for a SRH in .44 mag, and then got the bug for a SRH in .480. I scoped that one, but as it had the 9" barrel it was cumbersome, even with a custom bandoliero holster I had made. But even with the 400 gr boolits I was shooting from it there was less felt recoil, probably due to the massive size and the added weight of the scope.

I'm starting to ramble, so I'll stop now......[smilie=s:

murf205
02-03-2019, 09:55 PM
Anyone eVer load super Blackhawk 44 mag with 265interlock. Just bought the gun . I have a 29 smith. Didn't feel it was safe for that gun ?
That is the very reason that my favorite is the Ruger SRH, and this is coming from a devout S&W guy. You can load an RPG(well almost) in the big Ruger and it will stay alive. As far as the model 29, you can always back off the throttle but cast boolits at 1000 to 1200 fps will shoot through a T-rex and not hurt the gun. I'm with TomW on the Blackhawks. They are super guns but I just shoot the DA Ruger and S&W's better. After all, ya' got to hit 'em or it don't count!

osteodoc08
02-04-2019, 02:58 AM
The Smiths sure are pretty, but I can shoot the SRH better and more accurately than any SA revolver.... And I've had a few Rugers in my time. The first was a SBH with a 10 inch barrel that I sold as soon as I could and bought a stainless steel SBH with the fluted cylinder. I kept it for several years and traded it for a SRH in .44 mag, and then got the bug for a SRH in .480. I scoped that one, but as it had the 9" barrel it was cumbersome, even with a custom bandoliero holster I had made. But even with the 400 gr boolits I was shooting from it there was less felt recoil, probably due to the massive size and the added weight of the scope.

I'm starting to ramble, so I'll stop now......[smilie=s:

Completely agree with you on the 480R recoil, even in my 6-1/2” SBH and scoped 7-1/2” SRH.

375supermag
02-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Hi...
My experience with the .44Mag is limited to exactly foyr revolvers.
A S&W 29 Classic, a Dan Wesson, a Virginian Dragoon and a Ruger Super BlackHawk.
All are well made, quite accurate and capable of handling very powerful handloads.
My favorite is probably the Dan Wesson, but the 29 has a somewhat better trigger.
All are heavy and the Dan Wesson is the best balance of weight, accuracy and controllability of recoil.
I think I enjoy shooting the Virginian Dragoon more, but that is probably the result of my affinity for single action revolvers.
The Super BlackHawk is a great revolver and while it isn't going anywhere, it is probably my least favorite .44Mag to shoot because the squared off trigger guard. It raps my knuckles pretty hard if I don't wear shooting gloves.

I probably will never acquire another .44Mag revolver because I think I have all of the bases covered with the four revolvers I own.

Tripplebeards
02-04-2019, 02:31 PM
I have a 8 3/4" colt andaconda and S&W 329 nite guard with a 2" barrel. The andaconda gets my vote but I wouldn't pay the rediculous inflated market price for one. I could shoot fist size groups back in the day free handed with a mounted red dot installed when I was into pistol shooting. Next 44 mag pistol will be a Ruger to try. Built like tanks I'm told. Ruger has a lot of quality control issues but I'm sure the bisley or red hawk would fit my bill. I'm a red dot shooter so what ever one I get will have an optic on it. I also own a 77/44 and a first gen Ruger 44 mag carbine. 30 plus years ago you couldn't hunt in Wisconsin with a barrel under I believe 5.5". The next one I will buy for hunting will be between the 5.5"-6.5" range.

I blew out a few tasco PDP3's back in the early 90's with my other andaconda that was stollen. I could hit bowling ball pins with it consistently at a 100 yards when I did my part.

http://i.imgur.com/rIx3mp8.jpg

9.3X62AL
02-04-2019, 02:37 PM
For me, using the "standard" 240 grain bullet weight as a point of departure.....the S&W Model 29 variants do good work for me and are reasonable in recoil accommodation for most people until you get to about 1200 FPS. Lyman #429421 at 1100 FPS can do a lot of things very well in the field. Past 1200 FPS, I like the Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk and Bisley Blackhawk for their weight and grip forms that better manage recoil of the heavier loads often used in their calibers. In these heavier platforms, the 1100 FPS #429421s are tamed and civilized into all-day excursions.

bpatterson84
02-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Every man should at one point own an S&W model 29 or 629 in a 6" variant. If you like it, get a 4", or better yet, a model 69.

You already probably reload, so there's really no limit what can be shot with the .44. Mousefart loads out of either 44 special cases or 44 Russian cases using 200gr projectiles are no worse than shooting a 22lr handgun. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you can get bone crushing deep penetrating power for hunting. Your imagination is your limitation with 44.

Tripplebeards
02-04-2019, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking my next will be a Ruger Bisley super Blackhawk hunter. I never shoot my andaconda double action when I hunt to keep my accuracy pin point.

Tom W.
02-05-2019, 09:47 PM
https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/OldeFarte/Picture020.jpg (https://s10.photobucket.com/user/OldeFarte/media/Picture020.jpg.html)

This is a younger me and my .480. I could hit clay pigeons @ a measured 100 yards easily offhand.

Pete44mag
02-06-2019, 05:54 PM
I have the S&W Model 629 and really enjoy the smooth trigger. Can hand load down to very mild .44 specials or up to barn burner magnums. The gun is much more accurate than I am. Two weeks ago I purchased a S&W Model 57 in .41 magnum. Now I have to bring twice as much ammo to the range because I can't figure which one I enjoy more. Love shooting the big bore magnums. Can't go wrong with the Smith's. Pick what feels best for you. They make Cheys and Ford's can't say which is best, ask 100 people get 100 different answers. I hope you enjoy whichever .44 mag you buy as much as I enjoy mine.

Tripplebeards
02-07-2019, 04:42 PM
I just ordered a Wolff spring kit for my andaconda for $13 shipped. My pull feels good the way it is but figured I’d try it. Should have bought one for the nite guard or vaquero instead. Anyone tried the spring kits?

Rodfac
02-11-2019, 11:49 PM
I've owned both S&W and Ruger .44 Mag's over the years, and liked them all. With full house loads and 240 gr bullets, they're about all I can handle, recoil wise, and not that many rounds at that. A half box of 50 is about as much fun as I can stand any more. But...and it's a big But...you can buy or load your own to suit your mood! For day in, day out, night in, night out, a .44 loaded to 1000 fps is a very useful load.

Currently, I shoot a trio of .44 Mags. A Ruger Flat Top with 6.5" bbl., a S&W M629 with a full lug 5" bbl., and a Smith M69 with that new 4.25" bbl. Weighing right at 38 oz. unloaded, that M69 is easily an all day carry gun for me, especially loaded down with Skelton's famous 7.5 gr Unique/240 gr LSWC load. With full house loads, that same gun'll punish you til the cows come home. But with the Skeeter load, it's a hip hanger with authority for most any chore inside 50 yds.

For long range sessions, the 5" M629 with full lug is an easy choice, but feels about the same as a 50# anvil after an hour or so on the gunbelt. In that regards, the Ruger Flat Top, with its all steel frame holds as well, but seems to be a little more forgiving in the belt sag region. I like 'em both, but the trigger on the Smith and its DA capability, make it an easy choice if you can find a "tanker" type cross chest holster that fits, and you're packing out elk quarters in the twilight of Colorado's high country.

Given the choice, and it was one gun or none, I'd probably take the 5" M629 Smith, for it's ease of shooting, pack-ability, the extra round over the M69, and the shorter bbl. that makes toting it for its real hunting purpose easier.

HTH's Rod

Tripplebeards
02-12-2019, 07:50 PM
My 329PD nite guard is fun but a real wrist breaker. After a cylinder full or two I’m done. I loaded up some boolits with trail boss and it recoils like 357 or less. It turns it into a manageable plinker.

Hickory
02-12-2019, 08:04 PM
Don't limit yourself to one 44, get several from each manufactures.

megasupermagnum
02-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Don't limit yourself to one 44, get several from each manufactures.

They're only $800-$1500 each, might as well get one of every brand.[smilie=1:

Signed: Guy who daily drives a truck I couldn't get $700 bucks for.:kidding:

Kimber1911
02-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Ruger sbh is the only one I own, a set of Houge grips went a long way to making it fun to shoot!

Drm50
02-12-2019, 11:24 PM
I am a S&W shooter. I have a couple m29-2s and don't shoot magnum loads in them. I've got at least 2 of each
N frame in older models. If you are going to shoot magnum loads get a Ruger SA or DA. I deer hunt with old 3screw SBH. I don't care who says what, the 29/629 will not take a steady diet of magnum loads. It's just common sense derived from the design. Ruger Redhawk is a tank and will take a lot more mag loads. I've shot loose more than I revolver in my life when I was young & dumb.

Arkansas Paul
02-12-2019, 11:50 PM
I'm pretty fond of this one.

https://i.imgur.com/69PEzIL.jpg?2

Warhawk
02-13-2019, 03:35 PM
The 44 Magnum is my favorite caliber, and I own more guns in 44 Mag than any other caliber.

Currently I have 10 Smith & Wesson 44 Magnums, and 3 Rugers. Two of the Rugers are birth year Guns, my main reason for keeping them.

Hickok45 says he’s got 70,000 rounds thru a model 29 that he bought in the early 70s. Good enough for me.

Warhawk
02-13-2019, 03:36 PM

Howdy Neighbor, I’ve got the 3 screw flat top version of that one.

Warhawk
02-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Well, considering they reportedly used a model 57 as a stand in, which was a 6” half lug, probably not, but a good revolver in its own right.

Not true, at least not in the final scene. I recorded DIRTY HARRY on my DVR and was able to watch it in slow motion and stop it when I wanted to. In the final scene you can plainly see the pinned barrel and the words 44 MAGNUM on the barrel.

osteodoc08
02-13-2019, 04:22 PM
Not true, at least not in the final scene. I recorded DIRTY HARRY on my DVR and was able to watch it in slow motion and stop it when I wanted to. In the final scene you can plainly see the pinned barrel and the words 44 MAGNUM on the barrel.

Perhaps it was more urban legend. My apologies.

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2017/5/history-in-a-handgun-dirty-harrys-44-magnum-smith-and-wesson/

Tripplebeards
02-13-2019, 05:40 PM
I just tried the $13 Wolff spring kit. Save your money. My unaltered factory trigger brakes at 42 oz. and the Wolff spring bumped it to 58oz. The updated double action Wolff spring pulls almost 2 lbs heavier than my factory spring as well. The good part...guess I can say it’s good, during install the long faceplate screw is missing! I bought the pistol new back in the day. It’s never been apart and the grip never off. I think colt never installed one. Needless to say colt dosent stock parts for them anymore and I was lucky enough to find a new, old stock stainless factory screw on eBay for $12 shipped. Numeric and the other parts houses were blued and another third mark up.

I also found that the red dot slid back on me. I just sprayed some 3M adhesive on the inside of my rings like I did on the 450BM and will lock tite the screws back in.

Warhawk
02-13-2019, 08:43 PM
Perhaps it was more urban legend. My apologies.

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2017/5/history-in-a-handgun-dirty-harrys-44-magnum-smith-and-wesson/

No problem, I'd heard the same thing for years. Had to prove it to myself.

Tripplebeards
02-13-2019, 09:24 PM
I can tell you what not to buy...a desert eagle. Had one I bought years ago in brushed nickel with both 50 ae and 44 mag barrels along with a coulple of leupold Gilmore dots Mounted with three rings. I could out shoot it all day long with my $489 colt andaconda so I sold my $2600 investment and bought a arctic cat 400 with a plow with the funds. Best thing I ever did...get rid of that boat anchor. I would pull the trigger on the 50 ae and the recoil would lift my pistol over my head. One shot and your game is dead or gone because your not getting another shot. The 44 mag barrel’s rifling was so shallow that you couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn if locked in it. Poor machining for a lot of money. It had a big pit in the frame from the factory with an orange rust spot bleeding through. I sent it in. They just replaced over the dimple and never filled it in. The only thing it was good for was to impress friends...till they shoot it. I would have taken a cheap Taurus raging bull over it. Better quality and would outshoot it.

Texas by God
02-13-2019, 10:10 PM

That's the one I'd want - I prefer the .41 that length also. The most handgun recoil I can accurately control in a portable size.

Wis Tom
02-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Ruger Super Redhawk fan here. Reload with 9 grains of Unique, and you can shoot all day.

murf205
02-17-2019, 10:16 PM

I can see why you are.
That's what a six gun ought to look like, Elmer would be proud!

Gray Fox
02-17-2019, 10:37 PM
I have the twin to that 4 5/8 SBH with similar grips. I also have a 5" and 6.5" 629, both with full lug barrels. I have a red dot on the 6.5 and an Uncle Mikes chest rig for it. If I recall right, it was in Magnum Force where Harry Callahan explained to the 2 cycle cops that he shot .44 specials in his gun for more manageable recoil. Anyone else recall that? GF

Tripplebeards
02-18-2019, 10:45 PM
I just put up 2, 303 British and a 1917 enfield for sale. This thread has me fired up to buy a Ruger Bisley super black hawk hunter 44 mag. Might go with a 41 mag special run if I can find one.

Here’s my 329ng with some trail boss plinkers. There’s no way your not going to think it’s loaded when its pointed at you.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-18-2019, 10:58 PM

https://i.imgur.com/69PEzIL.jpg?2at first i thought i was looking at my 41 magnum 236330

Cast_outlaw
02-18-2019, 11:25 PM
I’m biased to the single action ones, and Ruger Super Blackhawk. I was at the range yesterday shooting some powerful 240gr loads, and it was not unbearable, the thing is a tank of a hand cannon

Laguna Freak
05-22-2021, 12:19 AM
I have one of these among my 44 Mag revolvers. Mine was made in the early 90s. I've had it for almost 20 years, and purchased it from the original owner (a friend of mine).

I've shot many hundreds of rounds through it, with zero problems. It is an easy shooter, I think the grip design works very well. I've not mounted a scope on mine, but have considered a reddot of some sort.

I load up 44 special equivalent for my 115lb wife to shoot, she loves it.

I own a Taurus Model 444 that I bought in 1999. It is a great revolver. Locks up tight with ~ 0.002” clearance between cylinder and bore. It also sports double cylinder locks. Shoots ~ 3” groups at 50 yards from a rest. Like many mfrs, Taurus tends to machine cylinder throats smaller than bore. Which is a leading problem with cast boolits or the old style jacketed hollow points. It is an easy fix with reamer rental after slugging the bore and cylinder throat to get accurate cal measurements. My Taurus 444 sports 5 substantial grooves and a tight twist. It is well suited to heavy for caliber bullets.

Drm50
05-22-2021, 12:17 PM
I just got this S&W 29-8 4” Mountain Gun a few days ago. Am going to shoot it tomorrow, I doubt I’ll keep it. Was looking for nice 29-2/ 6.5” when I ran into it. I wish they made 29s with the barrel contour of 24s. 283320

kingrj
05-22-2021, 12:51 PM
I have both S&W's and Rugers...My 40 year old 629 has the best trigger I have ever experienced on any handgun...it is very accurate but it is NOT for shooting max loads as it will get out of time quickly...I reserve it for woods walking with 1100 fps 250 grain SWC's...My Super Redhawk is a tank of an handgun it will eat any and every load I have ever fired in it. I hate to say this but I am not sure you can seat a bullet over enough WW296 to damage this gun....But the trigger will never be as good as the Smith...but after a little work on it, it is fine for hunting...

Bookworm
05-26-2021, 08:57 PM
...My Super Redhawk is a tank of an handgun it will eat any and every load I have ever fired in it. I hate to say this but I am not sure you can seat a bullet over enough WW296 to damage this gun...

I too have a Ruger SRH in 44 Mag, a 9.5" barrel version. It is indeed a tank, and a heavy one at that.
The good thing is that all the weight absorbs recoil on the heavy loads.

The bad thing is that all that weight is...well...heavy to carry around. I use it as a range gun, out to 100 yds.