PDA

View Full Version : Anyone NOT held the Sig P365?

Idaho45guy
01-27-2019, 12:22 AM
I had read all about these supposed wonder pistols for nearly a year and every gun shop in the area said the same thing when I asked to see one; "we sell them as soon as we get them..."

Today, I had a match down in Lewiston, ID and while waiting to pay the match fees, looked over at the gun display and low and behold, they had a P365 in stock.

I immediately asked to see it.

I was simply blown away by the size and capacity. It must involve magic to get ten rounds of 9mm in that little thing.

I gripped it and it felt good, but my pinky hung off the end. The dealer then handed me a 12-round magazine for it and it felt perfect. Then dry-fired it and again was impressed. Wonderful trigger! Almost too light for a carry gun with no safety. But, I heard Sig was releasing a version with a safety, soon.

I looked at it and couldn't stop grinning. Very, very impressed. Compared it to the Glock 43 he had and it was embarrassing that Glock made such a large 9mm "sub-compact" that only holds 6 rounds. Then compared it to the new 10-round capacity 43X and it was really embarrassing. Like comparing a 1911 full-size to a Commander.

My girlfriend is interested in buying a 9mm carry pistol and fell in love with the P365; fit her perfectly.

I think I will buy one as soon as the safety version is available. My current carry guns are either a G19, M&P40c, or an XDS 40. The Sig is substantially smaller than all of them and with the 12-round magazine, only gives up 3 rounds to the "giant" G19.

jdfoxinc
01-27-2019, 12:36 AM
I have not. And probably will not.

Uncle Grinch
01-27-2019, 09:49 AM
Interesting... wonder what the difference is between the 365 and the 320 subcompact.

winelover
01-27-2019, 10:08 AM
I have not, as yet. Supposedly, selling at MSRP of $600, although I have seen them going for just under $500 0n GB. I love my P320RX compact............but a compact it is not. I'm sure I would like the 365 but it is pricy for a carry piece and once you add a full magazine of bullets (10-12), it will become a burden to carry, all day long. Don't see much advantage over the Kahr CM-9 or Beretta Nano, I carry..............both of which are about $200 less and a few ounces lighter.

FWIW, I wouldn't have a safety on a carry piece...........unless it was a grip safety.

Winelover

Bigslug
01-27-2019, 10:49 AM
FULL DISCLOSURE: Not a Sig fan.

But Sig is not the only company that has gotten into the business of selling cookie dough before it's fully baked, so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one.

Bias aside, I worry that the P365 may be getting into the realm of "extreme sports" with regards to its engineering. You need to also fit a SPRING into these tiny magazines as well as the rounds, which means less wire doing the job; and you need to make a FRAME that holds them that still remains tiny, which means thinner material. What is going to be the long term durability of either? One of the issues of the .40S&W has been that it's too much power stuffed into guns that were intended for a less-intense round which necessitates greater attention to renewal of both recoil springs (to prevent battering) and mag springs (to maintain proper timing of feed). Is this super down-scaling of 9mm's going to cause the same problems in miniature?

Magazine capacity - yeah, I'm jaded - is one of those selling points that's guaranteed to get shoppers to march, drooling and zombie-like, in the direction of the shiny new bauble. If a 250 round linked belt is good, a 252 round one MUST be better. I've actually got to applaud Glock retroactively for their conservatism on the .380 G42 and the 9mm G43. They are not as small as they could be; the Ruger LCP and S&W Bodyguard came out before the 42, but the 42 is far more "shootable" than either and not appreciably less concealable for it. The 43 is a flat, packable piece that serves for what a CCW SHOULD serve for - getting the user out of an unexpected jam. Need more ammo? Carry another mag. Actually expecting trouble? Carry a real fighting handgun, or better still a long gun and bring all your friends who have long guns, or even better yet, just don't be there.

The P365 IS a good thing in that it pushes the developmental edge. Is it pushing that edge in a direction we actually need to go? Time will tell - I have my doubts.

str8wal
01-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Nope, and not in the market.

Rick R
01-27-2019, 01:15 PM
One of the guys from my old agency was showing me his P365 this week. He’s singing its praises for accuracy, split times and reliability. To me it’s too small for my XL paws, my XDs 9mm is perfect.
It brought to mind the scene from the movie The 13th Warrior where Ibn Faladin grinds a Viking sword down to a size he likes. One Viking tries it and says “when you die can I give it to my daughter?”

tinsnips
01-27-2019, 04:35 PM
I have a Sig 320x carry. I love the way it fits my hand but I think the 365 would be to small. The 320 is the smallest gun I own all the rest are 1911s and S&W revolvers. My good friend has a few Sigs an loves them all.

FergusonTO35
01-28-2019, 03:53 PM
Having examined it at the fun store, the P365 sure is a neat piece. That being said, the only real advantage it would have over my current Glock 26 is being thinner. I shoot the 26 really well and it carries just fine in an OWB holster, so I see no reason to change over.

ThomR
01-28-2019, 04:51 PM
I have looked at one. I thought the grip was too small for my hands.
If I were in the market for a 10 round 9mm pistol of the subcompact variety I'd be getting a Glock 26 or an M&P 2.0C. Both have been on the market for a while and have a proven track record.

RU shooter
01-28-2019, 06:58 PM
First time I've ever heard of it so I went and looked on the net or some pics. I neither love or hate it ,But I gotta ask why the accessory rail on a subcompact ? Stick a flashlight or anything on it and it's not so sub compact anymore not just this sig but the whole subcompact breed . Just don't get it ?full size pistol yeah ok ,

Idaho45guy
01-28-2019, 07:23 PM
I have looked at one. I thought the grip was too small for my hands.
If I were in the market for a 10 round 9mm pistol of the subcompact variety I'd be getting a Glock 26 or an M&P 2.0C. Both have been on the market for a while and have a proven track record.

With the 10-round magazine, it is too small. With the available 12-round magazine, it is perfect for me. Huge difference! And still way thinner and smaller than the G26, and even the G43. The M&P 2.0 is a G19-sized tank and not even in the same class.

But I've noticed now that Glock came out with the ridiculously large 43X, people are now claiming that CCW isn't about having the smallest and most concealable pistol with the most capacity, but is now about carrying a gun that you shoot very well, which means a larger grip.

Which I mostly agree with and why I usually have either a G19 or an M&P40c. Having a pistol with you is meaningless if you can't hit anything with it quickly and effectively.

The Sig is indeed a game changer and I think the Glock fanboys resent the fact that the 43X is a joke compared to the P365.

RichardB
01-28-2019, 07:24 PM
nope never even touched one

jmort
01-28-2019, 07:27 PM
It is good to have options. I have no need for it. But for some it will be "perfection."
The grip fits my hand well. I will stick with what I am using now. It is no game changer for me. Why do people care so much about what other people like and choose?

Idaho45guy
01-28-2019, 07:32 PM
Interesting... wonder what the difference is between the 365 and the 320 subcompact.

Quite a bit of size...

Idaho45guy
01-28-2019, 07:36 PM
Why do people care so much about what other people like and choose?

Edited to not sound snarky.

dragon813gt
01-28-2019, 07:47 PM
I will stick w/ the CZ 2075 RAMI if I want to carry a sub compact. I’m already invested in spare parts for CZs in general. And I don’t trust Sig. They have a rabid following and I will leave it at that. I personally won’t pay the premium for the name. But if the gun fits someone’s hands well, shoots we’ll and it’s comfortable enough to carry so they won’t leave it at home then I’m all for it. It’s just not for me.

Petrol & Powder
01-28-2019, 07:57 PM
The "magic" needed to get 10 rounds in such a small grip frame involves a magazine that tapers significantly near the top and is almost a double stack at the base.

It reminds me a little of the magazines used in the H&K P7 M13 pistols .

tazman
01-28-2019, 08:15 PM
I have never seen or handled one so I can't really have an opinion on it.

Idaho45guy
01-28-2019, 08:36 PM
I will stick w/ the CZ 2075 RAMI if I want to carry a sub compact. I’m already invested in spare parts for CZs in general. And I don’t trust Sig. They have a rabid following and I will leave it at that. I personally won’t pay the premium for the name. But if the gun fits someone’s hands well, shoots we’ll and it’s comfortable enough to carry so they won’t leave it at home then I’m all for it. It’s just not for me.

Yeah, Sig does not have a very good track record as of late. Especially with this pistol. Lots of issues in earlier versions. Supposedly they are worked out.

winelover
01-29-2019, 03:08 PM
Well the Sig had a good enough track record to land the Government contract to replace the Beretta 92..........as well as the Glock and S&W offering.

Winelover

jmort
01-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Love my 320

jmort
01-29-2019, 03:50 PM
Edited to not sound snarky.

Say what you will. Don't hold back. Why so serious???
"A 365 in every pot" my 2020 campaign slogan.
Actually, "what you want in every pot."
You don't buy a 365, off to the re-education camp.

35remington
01-29-2019, 04:31 PM
I am waiting to see if the considerable problems with the 365 repeatedly breaking have been resolved. This will take time and wear on multiple user’s guns before anyone can be sure.

In the meantime the pokes at Glock seem rather unfounded, especially given the G43 has a far better reputation for not breaking.

FergusonTO35
01-29-2019, 05:42 PM
I think Glock's biggest advantage is that they have been refining the same gun and creating new variants of it for almost 40 years, instead of starting over from scratch every 10-20 years.

Idaho45guy
01-29-2019, 06:17 PM
Say what you will. Don't hold back. Why so serious???
"A 365 in every pot" my 2020 campaign slogan.
Actually, "what you want in every pot."
You don't buy a 365, off to the re-education camp.
Oh, I'm not serious. The original comment was speaking to the tendency of people to lash out at others with the response that you did about caring what other's choose. Not saying your response was in the same vein of the typical response and it came off as dismissive or snarky so I deleted it. Didn't want to appear that I was attacking you specifically.

jmort
01-29-2019, 07:45 PM
Fair enough
I wrongly assumed that my comment that no one should care what other people picked to buy and shoot was offensive.
It is all good.

Divil
01-29-2019, 11:15 PM
No interest at this time, but who knows if my opinion will change in the future ?

Bigslug
01-29-2019, 11:21 PM
I think Glock's biggest advantage is that they have been refining the same gun and creating new variants of it for almost 40 years, instead of starting over from scratch every 10-20 years.

DING!DING!DING! The trees have stayed pretty much the same - we don't need to drastically re-invent the axe. The peddlers of axes, however, seem to have a need to periodically convince us that the axe has been drastically re-invented.

Bazoo
01-30-2019, 02:10 AM
I ain't looked at one, never even heard of it. It does look like a nice little gun. If I were to get a small 9mm I think I'd get a khar. Cw9 I think is the model but I ain't sure. I seen one in the store used and it felt good and was just the right size for me.

tazman
01-30-2019, 05:31 AM
Handguns are such a personal decision. So many different hand sizes and shapes, it is impossible to make one grip fit everyone.
You just have to find one that fits your hand well.

Wayne Smith
01-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Not interested - so no, I haven't held one. Haven't even looked - I carry a 1911 or a 38 Special, not interested in a 9.

FergusonTO35
01-30-2019, 11:21 AM
DING!DING!DING! The trees have stayed pretty much the same - we don't need to drastically re-invent the axe. The peddlers of axes, however, seem to have a need to periodically convince us that the axe has been drastically re-invented.

Thanks. That is why I gave up on Ruger bottom feeders. As soon as they get all the bugs out of a gun and everybody is happy with it, they make it walk the plank and start over with something completely new. P series, SR series, and now the wide as an ocean liner American Pistol series.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-03-2019, 01:14 PM
Say what you want but love my Ruger sr1911 no issues with them at all

EMC45
02-03-2019, 03:41 PM
I shot a 365 yesterday. It was great.

dkf
02-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Well the Sig had a good enough track record to land the Government contract to replace the Beretta 92..........as well as the Glock and S&W offering.

Winelover

Track record had nothing to do with that. The SIG was chosen because it was dirt cheap. The required second round of testing was not even done before the contract was given to sig. It was a real **** show to put it lightly. Small Arms Solutions did a very good video and write up on the whole deal.

The P365 does not have a very good track record thus far. Lots of reports of failures including bad failures like broken strikers. Military Arms Channel bought 3 P265s for his personal use. First one lasted 800 rounds until it broke, second one went 400 rounds until it broke and he just bought a third one which has 30 rounds through thus far. I don't trust the P365 nor SIG. SIG has been using their customers as beta testers for a while now.

35remington
02-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Vids like this from a guy who has no clear ax to grind and the MAC channel are not giving the gun a clean bill of health. Note in this vid the gun used is quite recently produced, so whatever bugs are present have not been worked out yet, which is too bad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RCgX2MsoKi8&t=1427s

bluelund79
02-03-2019, 05:32 PM
I haven’t, and won’t. I have a 2.0 9c that fits the 9mm, otherwise it’s a 686+ 3”, Colt Combat Commander, Shield 45 PC, or 442 I’m carrying. I’m starting to save for suppressors and tax stamps instead now, as well as getting ahead with components before the next election. I have a sneaking suspicion that it’ll be uglier than 08 and 12.

bpatterson84
02-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Yes, the 365 is some sort of trickle down space magic. Capacity and handfeel are simply off the charts.

BD
02-05-2019, 09:19 PM
I bought one. $525. Fits my hand, sights align when I point it, shoots well, easier to shoot than a j-frame, but prints worse in a pocket. I've shot a few blocks, some sigs, and the Beretta's. It's no 1911, but it's the first 9mm I've ever found that offered a good enough reason to own a 9mm.

MTtimberline
02-06-2019, 03:53 PM
I hold one almost everyday.

I love the P365 despite all the bad publicity from Sig haters. So far I have only about 300 rounds through it without a single hiccup yet. Shooting it is a pleasure even though it is a snappy little pistol. It is pretty accurate for its size and makes hits easy for most everyone that has shot it. The ten round carries easy and the twelve makes it a better fit in the hand. The sights are great. The price didn’t bother me since I purchased it by using gift cards from a CC. The only thing in my opinion that would make it better is a trigger guard magazine release like Walther has used. This has replaced my PPS for carry, and I loved that PPS. This is what I like and what works for me.

35remington
02-06-2019, 07:50 PM
I will note the bad publicity for the 365 comes from people who are not Sig haters, but rather are known for honestly reporting their experiences with the guns they are reviewing no matter who makes them. Some have had multiple 365s fail.

Lagamor
02-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Yep. Almost as good as holding ti++^€$.

Traffer
02-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Is that a pistol? The only pistol I have ever fired is my Norinco 213. I guess when you start with the ultimate in engineering there is no need to try anything else.

AnthonyB
02-06-2019, 10:20 PM
Bought one. Loved it for several hundred failure free rounds. Let my wife shoot it. Now looking for another.
Tony