PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Sabot Moulds from Mihec.

W.R.Buchanan
01-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Mihec currently has the Lyman Slug moulds in stock ready to ship. I just got an email from them today.

These are Brass 2 cavity and look like typical Mihec moulds IE pure jewelry!

Thought I'd put it out there as we on this forum are most likely to benefit from these moulds.

Go here. https://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?option=com_eshop&view=product&id=95&catid=32&Itemid=142

Randy

rancher1913
01-26-2019, 11:25 PM
I have that one and it drops nice slugs but I really want it in 20 guage and 410 gauge

Hogtamer
01-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Best mold I own. Gets heavy after a while but dumping 2 at the time great slugs pile up quickly.

longbow
01-27-2019, 10:08 PM
I still don't have one of these and in all honesty I would like the Mihec version if I get one.

How do they shoot from:

- smoothbore: 50 yards? 100 yards?
- rifled choke tube: 50 yards? 100 yards?
- fully rifled barrel: 50 yards? 100 yards?

I read many contradictory posts about this slug. What sort of accuracy do you get with what components in smoothbore and/or rifled barrel?

Pics of targets would help.

I'd also like to get some info from someone who bought the Mihec bore diameter version. I figured that would be the slug to get ~ eliminate the variability of shotcups!

Like I need another slug mould! But I want one!! I'm just not sure I will see any benefit from it.

Longbow

Hogtamer
01-27-2019, 11:21 PM
rifled barrel last year in a full value crosswind left to right around 10 - 12 mph. the orange dot is 1 1/2 " 234801 this one shot group was 103 ranged yds to the heart leaning against a tree. 234802
Kent, I shot some at 140 yds a couple of weeks ago, no pic but about 7" group and about 12" drop. Same day had a couple left and shot out of smoothbore w/red dot, 50 yds, 3 - 4" apart. You won't go wrong with that mold.

W.R.Buchanan
01-28-2019, 03:07 PM
LB: I look at it this way when I buy gun stuff . If it doesn't work out I can always sell it.

Selling that Lyman slug mould

I already have a buyer for my latest shotgun mistake.

Do consider that option?

If you think you want one of those moulds, I would not wait very long as they are selling fast.

Randy

longbow
01-28-2019, 08:49 PM
Nice shooting Hal! Those are certainly what I would call more than acceptable groups.

Randy: No. I do not really consider reselling as an option though I should. We don't have the market you do in the States but I am sure moulds would sell... and I can sell to Americans so really that market is open for non guns or gun parts. Moulds and other reloading gear are okay.

Money has been a bit of a concern as my work was pretty sparse through the fall and I have more stuff than I use anyway so I have a hard time justifying buying stuff I may not need or use. But having said that I do wish I had jumped on that rifled barrel for the Slugster. At $150 CDN it was a good buy. I figured I'd have my slow twist rifled choke tube done by now but... not yet! Still having cutter issues. I went to a single hook cutter but it bit too much so I changed it to a scrape cutter and that seems to work fairly well except the choke tube is so short I get tipping with the single point cutter. I think I will have to go with at least two teeth or maybe three. I know three teeth will not all contact and cut but at each end of the stroke if only one tooth leaves the bore the other two will help keep the cutter from tipping.

Even though I see mixed reviews on the Lyman sabot slug or clones I'd like to try some. There is a local guy here (Ginsing) who has some of the Russian moulds and the Lyman clone is one of them so he is casting me some to try. By the time I shoot them the NOE and Mihec moulds will likely be gone but such is life. I have lots of slug moulds and the Lyman single cavity mould will still be available if I really want that slug and NOE, Mihec and the Russian moulds are not.

Longbow

Moonie
02-03-2019, 11:34 AM
I have one of these as well, casts great.

Petander
02-04-2019, 05:00 AM
This is tempting.

I made 500 slugs with the Lyman single cavity mold one day during Christmas holidays. Double would be ... double. More is more.

Moonie
02-06-2019, 10:01 PM
This is tempting.

I made 500 slugs with the Lyman single cavity mold one day during Christmas holidays. Double would be ... double. More is more.

It isnt just double, it is also using a cramer style base plug, much faster than using the Lyman style removable pin.

Petander
02-07-2019, 06:25 PM
I decided to buy this but all this forced "register a new account and wait for your code" -yoga is not my piece of cake. I do not want to "register" anywhere to buy one mould. Or buy anything really,already got enough usernames and passwords and spam mail for this life.

Places like Titan make shopping simple with a working guest account.

Gamsek
02-07-2019, 06:40 PM
I decided to buy this but all this forced "register a new account and wait for your code" -yoga is not my piece of cake. I do not want to "register" anywhere to buy one mould. Or buy anything really,already got enough usernames and passwords and spam mail for this life.

Places like Titan make shopping simple with a working guest account.

Just write him what you want and in few days he will get back to you and he will ask for your PayPal address. I am not registered and I do get most of his molds this way. Have this mould also, you will not regret buying it, but you could regret not buying it because there are not many 2cav slug moulds that casts so effortlessly and mostly they are not in stock.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190207/0534404faade4aa89109fc6fb2203932.jpg

longbow
02-07-2019, 07:37 PM
Now that is a beautiful piece of work! Mihecs moulds are often referred to as jewellery and rightly so!

Petander
02-07-2019, 08:15 PM
Beautiful!

I know the reputation,lots of happy people with Mihec moulds. I'd like to be one,life is too short for bad tools.

EDIT: Ok I bit the slug,went on and registered. And ordered. The original Lyman slug is such a good drop-in for my "economy-traploads", I want this mold for many reasons,one being brass.

Petander
02-14-2019, 04:56 PM
I'm completely spoiled now. Thank you all very much for the heads up,casting with this is pure magic.

Smoke4320
02-14-2019, 05:07 PM
His molds are as good as anyones ..IMHO

longbow
02-14-2019, 10:45 PM
Mihec makes a mould second to none! Mine are all terrific.

If I had more toy money I'd have more Mihec moulds!

W.R.Buchanan
02-14-2019, 11:19 PM
Mine was supposed to be here today but maybe tomorrow.

Randy

longbow
02-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Now there you go confusing me again!

I thought you didn't like the Lyman sabot slug? Didn't you just get rid of a mould?

jdfoxinc
02-15-2019, 09:25 PM
Lost the base plug for my Lyman in the fire. I would like one of these but can't get into my account. Tried the forgot my password but I keep " failing the spam check". I haven't forgotten how to do arithmetic.

W.R.Buchanan
02-15-2019, 10:00 PM
NO the idiot DHL driver left my package in the "A"garage where my wife's car is parked and the the Seat Riser assembly table is. (I have A, B, and C garages.) I wouldn't have found it for a few more days as it has been raining like hell and we wouldn't have driven her car as it is relatively clean and mine is dirty. I had to go thru that garage to get to the B garage where my car is parked so I didn't get rained on. (C garage is my shop.)

I hate DHL and would never consider using the to ship Squat just because of many instances like this one.

Randy

Petander
02-16-2019, 06:05 AM
This time DHL was excellent,I got an email reminder every day.

And the driver actually called me before coming,I was in town so we met and I picked up my package there.

W.R.Buchanan
02-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Obviously people in Finland care a little more about their jobs than the people we get here in California. Our guy couldn't even walk 30 feet more to the Front Door.

Miha does nice work. I showed it to my wife and she even said it looked nice.

Randy

Petander
02-17-2019, 02:16 PM
35 yards,standing,open sights. Not a proper grouping test,I wanted to try function first.

Lots of wad petals on the snow - again this is a re-filled 1 oz factory trap shell.

W.R.Buchanan
02-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Petander: is there any choke in your barrel? Looks like it functions OK.

Randy

Petander
02-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Petander: is there any choke in your barrel? Looks like it functions OK.

Randy

No choke,a fixed cylinder 18".

longbow
02-17-2019, 09:19 PM
Did you cast them from soft lead? I ask because very one of those I have seen cast from soft lead "squishes" down and the skirt flares out I believe which may cut petals. Filling the base with hot melt glue or equivalent will help support the slug or casting from harder alloy.

Then again it could just be the fit with wad and bore. Have you pulled a wad and measure petal thickness?

Longbow

Petander
02-18-2019, 08:03 AM
These are about 14 BHN. I cast pretty hard but my alloy is getting softer with all this trap lead shot I'm getting here.

I think the cheap trap wads are just too weak anyway. These may also be a little tight, the fun part with these "econony slugs" is finding ammo with approppriate wads. This Bornaghi here fits nice,the slugs "snap" in the cup. But of course I can't find more Bornaghi now, trying Nobel which doesn't fit as nice. The Nobel hulls also feel thinner and harder,sort of cheaper. Bornaghi could be reloaded,I wouldn't bother with Nobel.

I might try a stronger,proper wad next,changing them is easy.

Petander
02-18-2019, 12:32 PM
Well I had to go... the road is plown open... Man's gotta go when man can go.

The Nobel brand / Mihec- version of my "Economy Slug" is better than I thought. 35 yds,still no bags or support or scope. I should mount a rail for a red dot... This is a smoothbore M3.

Wads do get toasted but the bases look ok.

TonyfromItaly
02-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Ciao Petander, you might think of using Nobel Sport GT wads. Depending on the powder you use, either the 24 or the 27 (I use the 27, works great on hogs with that slug)

Petander
02-21-2019, 01:03 PM
Ciao Petander, you might think of using Nobel Sport GT wads. Depending on the powder you use, either the 24 or the 27 (I use the 27, works great on hogs with that slug)

Oh yes,proper loading is different. My "Economy slugs" use a factory trap round, I cut the crimp with a a drill press, pour out the shot,insert slug and roll crimp. Done. :)

I use those for short range practise. Up here,powder alone costs more than a complete,loaded factory round.