PDA

View Full Version : Monolithic Bullets for the 35R

northmn
01-26-2019, 11:27 AM
This is probably sacrilege on a cast bullets site but I like to deer hunt with the copper based monolithic bullets. My exception is the relatively low velocity 38-55. The 35 is border line and may not benefit that much but just for curiosity I want to try the Barnes 180 grain TSX in the 35 Remington. It has a pointed profile and a plastic tip which is likely not the same as the Hornady LE's. Still there were reviews that said the bullet will work in the 35R. I would either have to load it with 2 cartridges, one in the magazine and one in the chamber or load one and fill the chamber with LE's.

These monolithic bullets when they perform, are deadly and do not leave any fragmentation damage to the meat. In soft tissue I doubt if the 35 fragments much if at all but if bone is hit it can. Just curious about this bullet. Barnes makes a 30-30 bullet but none specifically for the 35R.

DEP

cwtebay
01-26-2019, 12:14 PM
This is probably sacrilege on a cast bullets site but I like to deer hunt with the copper based monolithic bullets. My exception is the relatively low velocity 38-55. The 35 is border line and may not benefit that much but just for curiosity I want to try the Barnes 180 grain TSX in the 35 Remington. It has a pointed profile and a plastic tip which is likely not the same as the Hornady LE's. Still there were reviews that said the bullet will work in the 35R. I would either have to load it with 2 cartridges, one in the magazine and one in the chamber or load one and fill the chamber with LE's.

These monolithic bullets when they perform, are deadly and do not leave any fragmentation damage to the meat. In soft tissue I doubt if the 35 fragments much if at all but if bone is hit it can. Just curious about this bullet. Barnes makes a 30-30 bullet but none specifically for the 35R.

DEPI do see your point, but shot placement has to be near perfect. Woodleigh makes their hydrostatic solid (massive tissue disruption though), Grand Slam makes a true monolithic solid, as does Northfork I believe. Also, several of the turned bullet producers will also make them. My own experience with this would be hunting with a buddy who was shooting a 358 Norma. His 250 grain Oryx bullet was fired through a raghorn bull at <10 yards through the top of his heart. The bullet (driven around 3100 fps) behaved as a solid - drilling a 35 caliber hole straight through him. Found the bull in a canyon the next day, stiff but not dead.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

357Mag
01-26-2019, 11:12 PM
Northmn -

Howdy !

I have seen some promising range results using Cutting Egde' turned brass 150gr "Extended Range Raptor" bullet in my Marlin M-336XLR
.35 Remington.

The bullet is long enough to require pretty much a full power load to keep it stable through 100yd. The XLR has 1-16 12-groove rifling.
Low load density loads can get me to 50 yd w/ this excellent bullet. So, load work for 100yd+ use is on-going.
I don't want to end up w/ a load that generates excessive recoil when target shooting, but I still want all the range capability practical.

The turned brass 150gr SPBT does encroach on the .35Rem's powder space a bit, so I have adjusted powder choice to one w/ faster burn rate than IMR3031. I also want to use a temp stable powder. H4198 looks very promising, thus far.

I like the accuracy obtainable w/ the Cutting Egde 150 Raptor, which for me came easier than when I tried the Barnes 180's.
( my gun, my loads ).

I DK if that helps any ?

With regards,
357Mag