PDA

View Full Version : Lyman T Mag - what's a good price?

Conditor22
01-25-2019, 02:20 PM
I have an option to buy this "Lyman t mag turret press with an extra turret head"

Is it a good press? What's a good price for it and are parts still available

https://i.imgur.com/bIExQmJ.png

Thanx

leadhead
01-25-2019, 04:00 PM
I don't know what the current price on them is, but I had three of them set up on my loading bench
years ago when I was shooting handgun silhouette (one for each caliber) and they didn't work worth
a ****. The turret heads always tilted when sizing brass. Tried to tighten the head and then it wouldn't
turn. Used them for awhile, and then sold them (cheap) Used the money to buy a Forester Co Ax
press and never looked back. Best investment I ever made. Hope this helps.
Denny

KenT7021
01-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Parts are probably the same as the T Mag II.I have a T Mag II.It has no tilt or flex in the turret.I also have a RCBS turret press.It has flex in the turret.RCBS customer service sent me a thicker washer to correct the problem.It helped but didn't cure the problem.I use both of the turret presses to load pistol ammo so they work OK.
$100.00 to $120.00 should be an OK price on the press with the extra turret.

Rich/WIS
01-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Have the T-Mag and there is a LOT of flex in the turret. I only load 45 ACP on it and it is not an issue, but would not want to load rifle with it. A trick I found was to use use a feeler gauge between the turret and the support arm to reduce/eliminate movement. Since the flex wasn't and issue with 45 I don't bother when loading pistol. The Mag II has a nut in the support which can be adjusted to do this. Rifle I load on a RCBS RC. I got the T-Mag cheap as it had a cracked frame where the support rods hit the press frame, actually a small chip caused by the arms not hitting the frame evenly. I screwed a piece of structural nylon to my bench front to stop the arms just before they bottomed out to stop the cracking and it has been in heavy use for over 5 years.

Think I paid $50 for mine, don't recall if that included shipping. Low price because of the crack.

Conditor22
01-26-2019, 01:59 PM
I already have a lyman ST I was given and the slop it terrible.

I really like the concept

jimkim
01-26-2019, 04:06 PM
What I did to get rid of the slop was turn the turret to the desired station, and tighten the nut, until it was rigid. I think some models come with an adjustment bolt in the back to minimize movement. I never looked, but there might be enough meat back there on an S-T and that one to drill and tap a hole, so you can add one yourself. If it's a small bolt I go with grade eight.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

leadhead
01-27-2019, 06:11 PM
I drilled and taped the back of mine for a small bolt to adjust the "slop" from
the turret. It didn't work to well as the head of the bolt would catch on the
turret and bind. You can tighten the center nut down but then you lose the
reason the turret was put on to start with....
Denny

Warhawk
01-27-2019, 07:38 PM
No idea of current value, but I have loaded rifle ammo on the T-Mag that shot 10 rounds groups in the 2’s at 100 yards. That’s 10 rounds in groups under .300 inches, in both .223 and .243. If there is any flex, it makes no difference in performance of ammo loaded on it.