PDA

View Full Version : REAL mold problems

army_doc
01-25-2019, 08:27 AM
I have a Savage ml2 that when I shoot (or attempt to) the 240 grain real bullets the powder does not ignite completely causing it to sound like a cap gun and the bullet comes out of the barrel like a cork gun but when I shoot the same powder and primer combo with a factory Sabot it shoots great. Does any one have any idea what is going on. I am thinking that the bullet is under sized and not sealing the barrel causing the incomplete ignition if powder. But with pyrodex and the real bullets it shoots great

Larry Gibson
01-25-2019, 10:32 AM
I shoot the same powder and primer combo with a factory Sabot it shoots great.

Pyrodex?
If not then what powder?
Charge?
Alloy of the REALs?
Does the bottom band of the REAL fit the bore?
Does the top drive band of the REAL fit to groove diameter when seated?

Your assumption is probably correct. If using 240 gr bullets in the sabots the bullet mass is close to the same but the sabots are sealing the bore as ignition begins. And the REALs are not. Also the sabots have more frictional resistance than the REALs.

army_doc
01-25-2019, 10:49 AM
I am using 44 grains of IMR 4227

kungfustyle
01-25-2019, 11:55 AM
I am using 44 grains of IMR 4227

Sounds like your making a bomb. Are you using a black powder gun. Brass cases in a black powder cartridge gun????? Pyrodex or black powder substitute?
If you are using a Muzzle loader don't use 4227 use a black powder or bp substitute.

dondiego
01-25-2019, 12:32 PM
He is using a muzzle loader designed to shoot smokeless. Sounds like you need to stick with sabots.

FrontierMuzzleloading
01-25-2019, 12:50 PM
wow! Its not a bullet mould problem, its a user error problem.

#1 you are using smokeless powder and a projectile savage does not recommend in this rifle. Why? loose fit, short, stubby, no good for that rifles bore size.

If you want to use the real bullets, you need to stick with pyrodex, triple 7, etc, NOT smokeless powder.

I suggest either reading your owners manual or calling savage for some help on understanding why this is happening with that projectile.

Wayne Smith
01-25-2019, 03:00 PM
The Savage ML2 was Savage's mistake, those loading it as intended are not making a mistake.

All smokeless powders rely on pressure to fully ignite. I'm guessing that your REAL loaded naked probably does not present enough resistance to fully develop the pressure needed to burn the powder.

Buzzard II
01-25-2019, 10:52 PM
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Bphunter
01-25-2019, 11:37 PM
Only a few smokeless powders are recommended for the 10ML-II and they all require a sabot to get a tight seal. As you have already discovered conicals work fine with holy black or pyrodex. BH209 is another powder that requires a tight seal and should not be used with conical bullets in this gun. Mine does best with 5477 and Hornady SST sabot loads.

army_doc
01-26-2019, 03:38 PM
Only a few smokeless powders are recommended for the 10ML-II and they all require a sabot to get a tight seal. As you have already discovered conicals work fine with holy black or pyrodex. BH209 is another powder that requires a tight seal and should not be used with conical bullets in this gun. Mine does best with 5477 and Hornady SST sabot loads.

Thank you for the information. I will stick with sabots