PDA

View Full Version : lee factory crimp die modification help

loiner1965
01-24-2019, 03:10 PM
hi
how can you remove the crimp collect part from the die body ?

DougGuy
01-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Find a solid metal rod or a socket that fits very tightly through the die body, put the die in a vise loosely using the hex nut to keep it from falling, drive the collet out with a hammer.

Using too small of a pin or socket to drive the collet out will severely damage the fingers. You want to use the largest diameter pin or socket that will fit through the die body.

BigAlofPa.
01-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Why do you want to remove it? I have just started loading rifle just wondering if there is something i have to watch for.

Guesser
01-24-2019, 04:31 PM
The rifle die does not have a carbide ring in it like the straight wall pistol die does, there is nothing in the rifle die to drive out.

Shawlerbrook
01-24-2019, 04:43 PM
I was wondering the same thing. The Lee fcd works great for my levergun loads.

Moonie
01-24-2019, 05:19 PM
The rifle die does not have a carbide ring in it like the straight wall pistol die does, there is nothing in the rifle die to drive out.

The Rifle FCD does have a collet, there are modifications that have been done to change the crimp by removing some of the collet fingers. I believe DougGuy has done this and there is a post or sticky about it.

AntiqueSledMan
01-26-2019, 07:23 AM
Hello Guys,

I removed the collet by placing it upside down in my single stage press & pushed a 3/8 socket head bolt through it with the head up. They seam to be easier to remove after the first time.

hope this helps, AntiqueSledMan.

mdi
01-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Two completely different dies. The FCD for handgun cartridges is a carbide, post crimp sizing die. The FCD for rifle cartridges is a collet crimp die (a collet squeezes the case neck), an excellent tool...

The collet in a rifle cartridge crimp die is removable.

44magLeo
01-26-2019, 01:39 PM
After some problems with my first Collet Neck size die. The collet would stick in the up position. Crumpled a few cases.
Took out the collet and a bit of Super Lube from Harbor Freight, it no longer sticks.
I then did this to all my Lee dies with collets. Don't like the sticking.
I think the die bodies and collets could use a bit more polishing, I found the lube easier.
Leo

loiner1965
01-27-2019, 01:51 AM
sorry gentlemen.
its info for a friend who wants to shorten it to use on a heeled bullet.

Moleman-
01-27-2019, 04:06 AM
http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=685 Recently saw this and am going to give it a try on a 357 Herrett die shortening it to 357AR (357Max-rimless). Lee will also make you a collet crimp die but for me it was quicker to just order one that is close and chuck it up in the lathe. A used die will be easier to take the collett out of, but a new one will be harder.

Wayne Smith
01-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Bernie at Old West Molds has this already. Have him give Bernie a call if he is a machinist, he might get some advice.

loiner1965
01-27-2019, 11:38 AM
we are in the uk lol so we will diy it

EDG
01-28-2019, 09:27 PM
The collet is held in place by a compressed wire ring. Wipe the oil off the bottom of the collet and pull it out with your fingers.
If you can't pull it our use a dowel or rod to push on the top and push it out the bottom. Will probably take 10 to 15 lbs force to make the ring slide.

DougGuy
01-28-2019, 09:58 PM
Two completely different dies. The FCD for handgun cartridges is a carbide, post crimp sizing die. The FCD for rifle cartridges is a collet crimp die (a collet squeezes the case neck), an excellent tool...

The collet in a rifle cartridge crimp die is removable.

Actually, there are THREE Lee Factory crimp Dies. One is a collet style for rifle cartridges, another is the carbide ring style for handgun cartridges, but there is also a COLLET style FCD just for handgun cartridges.

44magLeo
01-30-2019, 12:18 PM
I'm not so sure about that statement.
The collet FCD for rifles and the collet FCD are the same.
The hand gun FCD with the carbide insert is different, it has no collet.
So only two types of FCD's.
Leo

Sig556r
01-30-2019, 12:27 PM
Haven't seen pistol LFCD with 2 choices when ordering...always thought they're all have collets.
Pistol carbide seating dies usually have integrated roll or taper crimp that is adjusted when you move the seater up or down. Haven't use them in any of my pistol dies (Lee or otherwise), thus, I use LFCD.

44magLeo
01-30-2019, 12:59 PM
I have Lee's 2017 catalog. On page 8 it shows the Carbide FCD. It has a short cartridge list to show which crimp die each cartridge should use.
On page 9 it describes three other styles of crimp dies for handgun cartridges. A Taper crimp die, A collet crimp die and a short bottle neck collet crimp die.
Each type has a cut away picture showing just how each works. There is a short description of them by each pic.
I assume you could find these pics and descriptions on their website.
Leo

Wayne Smith
02-01-2019, 08:42 AM
we are in the uk lol so we will diy it

I'd still contact Bernie by e-mail if nothing else. He's been doing this for years.