PDA

View Full Version : New Martini Coming to 2019 S.H.O.T.

pietro
01-22-2019, 09:20 PM

DK Precision Outdoors (DAMCO) will be introducing several versions of a newly-made Martini at the 2019 S.H.O.T. show.

https://www.damko-usa.com/damko-martini-rifle-c-54_56/damko-martini-rifle-peep-sight-p-36.html

https://www.damko-usa.com/images/large/DAMKO-Martini-Rifle-Peep-Sight-1-Sm_LRG.jpg

GhostHawk
01-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Now that would be an interesting single shot to have.

.25-35 I think seems interesting.

richhodg66
01-22-2019, 09:33 PM
I like it! Didn't see an MSRP, any idea what those will cost?

AZ Pete
01-22-2019, 09:35 PM
I would like to see the price too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

labradigger1
01-22-2019, 09:46 PM
Looks like they got rid of the exposed split block pin and made disassembly/reassembly easier. I always have a hard time getting the block back in.
Calibers shown look like they still max out around Krag and 44 mag pressures same as originals.

Looking forward to some martinis not made over a century ago but I do love my old ones too.

Wonder if they will offer a cadet style?

TNsailorman
01-22-2019, 11:55 PM
Man I am watching this. I too would like to know what kind of price they will put on them. .30-40 or .30-30 will be ideal for me.

Gtek
01-23-2019, 12:00 AM
It's just gun money, 30 W.C.F. OH MY!

Bigslug
01-23-2019, 12:24 AM

You're going to start making these in .357 Magnum.

That's just the chambering you're looking for.

You can go about your business.

Move along.

wgr
01-23-2019, 12:36 AM
357max

Fernando
01-23-2019, 06:46 AM
Oh my - I'll think long and hard on this one.
Hope the trigger can be worked down a little.
Wish it was a 1-12" but 10 will work I guess.
I'm bookmarkin this one.
Better start lookin for some 30-40 brass??

richhodg66
01-23-2019, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking .30-40 Krag would be great, but .30-30 or .25-35 would be great too.

Boz330
01-23-2019, 10:06 AM
25-35 for me.

TNsailorman
01-23-2019, 11:20 AM
First thing is to cut that monsterous fore end down. Way too long.

LIMPINGJ
01-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Would have to do something with that forend.

RustyReel
01-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Neat, but my interest is fading fast................

pertnear
01-23-2019, 03:03 PM
Neat, but my interest is fading fast................

+1...

country gent
01-23-2019, 03:24 PM
Its a nice looking rifle but Id be more interested in a 22 lr version along the lines of those fine old small bore target rifles.

richhodg66
01-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Is this action the size of the big military Martini actions? Will there be a cadet size or similar in the future?

Also kind of wondering if perhaps the actions themselves might someday be available to those wanting to do a custom build?

merlin101
01-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Hello everyone!
We will be offering these starting at $1699.00 for the standard version. !
Ouch!! A bit outa my range.

swamp
01-23-2019, 05:26 PM
I think 32 mag, 44 mag and 357 mag would be nice.

elmacgyver0
01-23-2019, 05:43 PM
Perhaps I could afford the action.

richhodg66
01-23-2019, 06:00 PM
I would think .32-40 and .38-55 would be sellers in a rifle like this.

Walks
01-23-2019, 06:18 PM
I'd like to see better detail on the peep sight.

Outpost75
01-23-2019, 08:00 PM
I don't see the pricing at all out of line for a modern, Made in USA rifle. I really like the idea of a 6-pound single-shot walking gun in an assortment of mild, woods-walking calbers suitable for cast bullets. Agree that a .357 Magnum with 24" barrel would be good to add to the mix. With factory .38 wadcutters you would get about 900 fps from a 24" barrel, producing a mild, low report small game and varmint gun, little louder than a .22 LR. If loaded down further using a flush-seated 148-grain lead HBWC and about 2 grains of Bullseye or Titegroup it would be almost silent, about 700 fps from a 24" barrel but would not needing a "can."

With full charge .357 Magnum 158-grain ammo you would get about 1800-1850 fps from a 24" barrel, which makes an effective woods deer load within 100 yards.

john.k
01-23-2019, 08:34 PM
The gun has the Francotte action ,but not the reduced grip.........still with all the faults for modern use that Martinis have always had.........I dont see them taking off........Just my 2c.

sghart3578
01-23-2019, 08:59 PM
Pretty pricey.

What happened to the post stating the price? It's gone.

Oh well, too pricey.

rking22
01-23-2019, 09:30 PM
Very nice to see someone bring back a classic. The price is about what I would expect from a quality reproduction, think Sharps and Hi Walls. I wish them the best, but what would part me from my money would be a small frame in 327Federal at about 5 lbs. My No1s satisfy the calibers currently offered.

john.k
01-23-2019, 09:35 PM
Yeah,who d want to make guns.....everyone wants something different............price was quoted as 1699.00+....and the ghost is still there.............action is claimed to be midsize,not large enough for 45/70.

richhodg66
01-24-2019, 08:02 AM
What happened to all the posts from the guy who is making these and seeking feedback?

500Linebaughbuck
01-24-2019, 08:33 AM
Ouch!! A bit outa my range.

mine too!!!

Jedman
01-24-2019, 09:09 AM
The martini is a favorite of mine but they would have to be priced below what a Ruger no.1 or Win. 1885 to be attractive and successful. The martini action is a marvel in that it has so few parts, seems as though it would cost less to make than the ones I mentioned.
I would like to see how they attach the floating forend.

Jedman

cub45
01-24-2019, 09:20 AM
price is $1699.00

gpidaho
01-24-2019, 09:28 AM
I really like my single shots but at $1,700 I'm going to pass. If one comes up on a "discontinued" sale I'd be in for $800. MAYBE. Gp

barrabruce
01-24-2019, 09:34 AM
At first blush I thought ohhh yeahhh

Now I’m thinking
Scope when mounted looks to be good for a decent chin weld.
Looks a long way to the trigger from the wrist.
Does it have a hole for cleaning from the breach
What rifling form.
Hope it’s not a Sammi specked chamber for the 30-30.
They could do soo much better
$1699 us =$2400 aus for a 30-30.
I would think a crisp 3# factory trigger would be more apt.
Forearm I feel would be better short and thinner more English flowing style than the fat long thing.
Cost me more than a new decent bolt action.
The little lovely would want to shoot bug holes at 100 yards for that money with castbullets.
At about 6 pounds it would be a nice weight to recoil.
Wonder how it would balance in the hand to carry and shoot

Be lighter and friendlier to clean than a Ruger #1 which I think is way over complicated with small parts.

Guess I’m not feeling it at the moment.

Bigslug
01-24-2019, 09:48 AM
price is $1699.00

In the real world, that MSRP will probably mean something like $1300-$1400 on the shelf. On the scale of "getting what you pay for", this is probably not out of line - it's an all-steel rifle that somebody actually took the time to polish and blue (not a rust-when-you-look-at-it-sideways 870 Express), put in real walnut, and provide with the really nice side benefit of an easily removable lockwork.

I am pretty darn sick of the new gun market being driven solely by price point, as it has given us a race to see who can sell something that - on paper - does a job for as little as possible. Those that ask for this get what they deserve - plastic, aluminum, stampings, castings, roll-pins, and solid-state sub-assemblies that you can't service at the owner level or only do so with great difficulty.

I've been having too much fun with several examples of the real thing, and will need to give this a serious look. Unfortunately, I feel that the aforementioned market that wants it for $399 with a detachable 30 round mag will be the death of them.[smilie=b:

pertnear
01-24-2019, 10:06 AM
The martini is a favorite of mine but they would have to be priced below what a Ruger no.1 or Win. 1885 to be attractive and successful. The martini action is a marvel in that it has so few parts, seems as though it would cost less to make than the ones I mentioned.
I would like to see how they attach the floating forend.

Jedman

+1

These are my sentiments exactly. You gotta really want a Martini at that MSRP. Maybe for the novelty of it, but to each his own(?)

You can buy a used Ruger #1 or #3 & have it re-chambered, re-barreled or re-bored in just about any caliber you like for that kind of $cratch.

JIMHO

dverna
01-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Quality is expensive and short runs are expensive.

I never thought I would ever buy a rifle like a T/C Compass but I did last year. It is just garbage compared to my M70 and M700's. But that $225 rifle shoots just as well if not better. The new reality is that very accurate rifles are now well under $500. Spending double that, or more, will not net any greater hunting accuracy. I am motivated by pride of ownership so I like nice guns. If you can afford it...go for it...I get it. But there are far less expensive ways to hunt and shoot for fun, IF the cool factor is not playing into it.

BTW, shot a BSA Martini in small bore competition at college and it had a great trigger. Not sure why the negative comments. I shot that gun very well....better than the Model 52.

Anyway, I find it humorous that no matter what a manufacturer comes to market with, so many think the calibers are wrong, barrel length is wrong, twist is wrong, or the styling is wrong etc. The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. Every manufacturer wants to succeed so they try to produce the guns that appeal to the widest market segment they are targeting.

RustyReel
01-24-2019, 12:32 PM
I was trying to be nice when I indicated in an earlier post that I was losing interest after seeing the $1700 price tag, and the pic of the rifle. If I was going to spend that much on a Martini I would get and original, or two, or maybe a well done Martini sporter. Just my unsolicited opinion, of which I have many!

Nueces
01-24-2019, 01:23 PM
I have an old Aussie Martini that is begging to be upgraded, but I can't get past the lack of a functional safety. A carry rifle needs a safety other than carrying with the action partly open. If this new one has such a safety, I'll spring for one, or at least an action.

Rich/WIS
01-24-2019, 02:35 PM
Has a safety according to specs in the link. Issue for me is $$$ and stock design. Have arthritis and can't bend my wrist to grip a straight stock without a lot of pain. $$$ is an issue, can buy a No 1 for less or buy a Henry 30/30 and keep it as is or send it to JES for rebore to 30/40 for about half the cost. To each his own but I do not find it an attractive rifle.

Reverend Al
01-24-2019, 05:08 PM
The cost seems fairly high for a basic blued rifle with very basic (almost austere) stock design that appear to be about "2x4" grade in regards to figure? It would be more interesting if it was offered as just an action or as a barreled action in the white so that the buyer could build a custom rifle with upgraded wood and probably get the receiver and related parts colour case hardened as well. Just my 2 cents worth ...

This is my large action Martini which was re-barreled with a Douglas barrel blank and then chambered into .38-55 Winchester and then it was re-stocked with some moderately figured walnut stocks. I bought it used and paid $600 Canadian for it (without the scope which I added after). The last large action Martini I bought in .303 British with cut down / sporterized military stocks cost me $400 and it had a very nice "Sutherland" windage and elevation adjustable rear sight on it. Just sayin' ...

https://i.imgur.com/1mYpAmw.jpg

john.k
01-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Rev Al is spot on...........the reason (one ,anyway) why the Italians have never considered producing a replica is that there are too many cheap Martinis floating about.........I built a cheap sporter from my spares box with a new 303 H barrel and a Martini Enfield carbine bought as a collection of bits after the barrel was used to restore a LE carbine......net cost under $100.....and I could build another one if I wanted to with more worn bits for very little......I admit the Francotte action is an improvement ,but how much is problematic................another point ,is they have not included the reduced grip /humped back typical of the Francotte............if a hole is drilled through the hump in line with the bore ,you can poke a cleaning rod straight thru.......a common mod with the Cadets and standard on BSA s.

pietro
01-24-2019, 07:36 PM
What am I missing ? Oh yeah a weak action, difficult to load, poor trigger and cannot be cleaned from the breech -----

IMO, those statements lead me to believe that you've never owned a Martini, as the ones I had could be cleaned through the breech via a cleaning rod hole in the back wall of the receiver; and are plenty strong as long as they're not converted to a cartridge more powerful than their design parameters (i.e., large diameter cartridges that result in a thin chamber wall, etc, etc).

As many as I've had in the past, today new Ruger #1's are almost as expensive.

Jedman
01-25-2019, 12:33 AM
I wish this company a lot of luck. I remember just a year or two ago there was a US company that was going to make a version of the rolling block rifle. I have yet to see one ?
I would think someone could make a new and improved version of the Hepburn rifle with a coil spring for the mainspring and a stock that bolted up with a thru bolt and no receiver tangs but the market probably is not there to make it a profitable. I hope somehow this company can make this work and become a name that will be known for there single shot rifle.
History has proved most designs have a limited life and I don't see Martini rifles becoming a great seller even though I love them and so do a lot of others but not enough to make them a great seller.

Jedman

am44mag
01-25-2019, 04:04 AM
For $1600, that thing better be able to shoot 1" groups at 300 yards and have a trigger that breaks like a glass rod.

I'm really not seeing how companies can justify charging that much for a single shot when much more complex designs (repeating rifles) that generally offer similar if not better accuracy can be bough at a 3rd of the price. I'd love to see the rolling block make a comeback, but only if it can be had for under $500.

BigEyeBob
01-25-2019, 06:31 AM
Building a martini in that caliber at the moment ,on a small frame (cadet) . Almost finished , just need to bush the firing pin and reduce the pin diameter.

BigEyeBob
01-25-2019, 06:35 AM
IMO, those statements lead me to believe that you've never owned a Martini, as the ones I had could be cleaned through the breech via a cleaning rod hole in the back wall of the receiver; and are plenty strong as long as they're not converted to a cartridge more powerful than their design parameters (i.e., large diameter cartridges that result in a thin chamber wall, etc, etc).

As many as I've had in the past, today new Ruger #1's are almost as expensive.

Yeah wonder where he got the idea the martini is a weak action ? The small frame was tested by White laborioriesbto 60,000 psi many years ago .Many big game single shots have been built on the large frame action ,500Nitro express , 577Nitro express . In fact a friend of mine has just finished his 577Nitro on a large frame martini action.

Boz330
01-25-2019, 10:47 AM
I love Martinis and might consider buying one in the future. The first one is a 357 that Vic Samuels did for me. I did the browning and the stock work myself and had $1000+ in it not counting my labor. The second is a 7MM Waters that I gathered the parts for and Vic did the chambering, safety conversion, and scope and mount for a hunting rifle. I did the stock work and while I don't remember all the costs involved it was at least a grand. Both of these rifles were built 14 years ago. Both were also built on Small frame Martini actions which were built for the 22LR cartridge. That says a lot for the strength of the action. I would venture to say that a shot out small frame for donor partrs would probably cost you north of 500 bucks. You guys in Australia and Canada live where this stuff is easier to come by so you can build something reasonable.:bigsmyl2:
Sharps rifles were $17 new but even the Italian imports now are near $2000 and get an American made rifle and it will run you more than that and close to $3000 if you put any upgrades on it.
As someone pointed out, limited production guns cost money to produce and these have actual steel and wood in them. Don't get me wrong I wish they were $900 and I would be all over one but quality costs money.

Bob

Gunlaker
01-27-2019, 12:20 PM
I'm happy when anyone brings back a nice copy of an old single shot rifle. I'd want mine to be in .303 British.

Chris.

skeettx
01-27-2019, 02:51 PM
watching

blackbahart
01-29-2019, 03:38 AM
its nice to see the improvements but 1700 for the base model might seem steep in canadian dollars is 2130 But its blue and wood too so it will really be how it feels in the hand to be a final decision

JoeJames
01-29-2019, 10:11 AM
Very nice to see someone bring back a classic. The price is about what I would expect from a quality reproduction, think Sharps and Hi Walls. I wish them the best, but what would part me from my money would be a small frame in 327Federal at about 5 lbs. My No1s satisfy the calibers currently offered.Agreed, but 32-20 would be mighty cool too.

pertnear
01-29-2019, 10:22 AM
I feel like a lot of these new products with high MSRP are part of a fishing expedition. Put a product out there & see if there is any interest. Depending on how things go, the Mfg can then sell through various outlets for 20% off & the buyer revels in his bargain.

The old horse trader adage, "The more you pay, the more it's worth."

Jack Stanley
01-29-2019, 08:57 PM
I'm thinking the 30-30 would be fun to try out .

Jack

Jedman
02-03-2019, 10:34 AM
235158One thing that would be kinda nice is on smaller calibers is to have one side of the receiver cut down so a cartridge could be loaded more easily if you have a scope mounted.
Frank De Haas mentioned that he made a 22 rimfire rifle for target competition with the right sidewall cut down for that reason. The breech thrust on a martini is mainly transferred to the rear pivot so as long as the sides of the receiver were not weakened a lot it would be plenty strong for many cartridges. Not having a easy way of mounting a scope on a martini is the main complaint I have with them. This is a cadet action rebarreled to 357 max and scoped with a old steel tube Weaver K 2.5.

Jedman

historicfirearms
02-04-2019, 02:20 PM
In the real world, that MSRP will probably mean something like $1300-$1400 on the shelf. On the scale of "getting what you pay for", this is probably not out of line - it's an all-steel rifle that somebody actually took the time to polish and blue (not a rust-when-you-look-at-it-sideways 870 Express), put in real walnut, and provide with the really nice side benefit of an easily removable lockwork.

I am pretty darn sick of the new gun market being driven solely by price point, as it has given us a race to see who can sell something that - on paper - does a job for as little as possible. Those that ask for this get what they deserve - plastic, aluminum, stampings, castings, roll-pins, and solid-state sub-assemblies that you can't service at the owner level or only do so with great difficulty.

I've been having too much fun with several examples of the real thing, and will need to give this a serious look. Unfortunately, I feel that the aforementioned market that wants it for $399 with a detachable 30 round mag will be the death of them.[smilie=b:

Spot on post. Just look at all the comments here with probably the highest percentage of gun buyers that might be interested in a new martini. See what a new Ruger #1 coats and this is priced similarly. It wouldn't be hard to beat the Ruger in quality if they had the mind to.

Bigslug
02-12-2019, 12:31 AM
Looks like they're in the process of adding .357 Mag and .303 Brit.[smilie=w:

Jedman
05-09-2019, 08:24 AM
I have been waiting to hear about or see one of these for sale. Has anybody heard about or seen one listed anywhere ?
Martinis are still just about my favorite single shot.
I know it will not happen but would like to see someone make a reproduction of a miniature Comblain action, It too is a very simple design that has few parts and does everything efficiently.
Trying to find a original in good condition is near impossible and prices are whatever the seller wants to ask as they are rare and desirable.

Jedman

nekshot
05-09-2019, 09:16 AM
for the money I would rather buy one of those Brown single actions, in some neat cartridges to boot! I feel 650 to 750 bucks would entice me to start selling some stale stock.

BigEyeBob
05-11-2019, 09:59 PM
Agreed, but 32-20 would be mighty cool too.

Ive a BSA Martini (commercial sporter,not a converted cadet) original factory chambered in 32-20 , The bore was trashed from lack of care .I had it relined as I wanted to keep the original barrel with its factory marks .Been loading up some Berrys cast 115gn and my own 115gn cast boolits from a CBE mould . Next is to take it out bush and shoot it . I have shot it with some 90gn jwords and it is goodly accurate with those .Prefer castboolits t
hough as I can have fun making them.

M.A.D
05-13-2019, 04:57 AM
Hmmmm $1600 USD ( $2300 Aus) I could buy two small and two large frame Martinis and four barrel blanks for that price... And make more Bullpup Martinis ... So thats a big NO from me...

M.A.D
05-13-2019, 04:58 AM
I think 32 mag, 44 mag and 357 mag would be nice.

"There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives." That should be on a T Shirt...