PDA

View Full Version : Making first batch of charcoal....

psychicrhino
01-20-2019, 05:55 PM

Finally got myself a BP gun a while back. Decided to try my hand at making a small batch of charcoal in a cookie tin today (with a hole punched in the lid) in an old outside fireplace. Looks like I made smoke and the wood gas lit so maybe it will make. I always like to try something new. Should know afterwhile.

Hossfly
01-20-2019, 06:09 PM
What type of wood you making it out of, or does it matter?

psychicrhino
01-20-2019, 06:19 PM
I have always read that traditionally willow was best. But everything was so flooded here right now It would hard to get some. I had also read that some folks have had varying success with lots of different kinds of wood - that some just works better than other. This first small trial batch is just from untreated pine, sliced up some small pieces from my scrap lumber pile.

Hossfly
01-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Just wondering, i have some hickory that I use for smoking wood cut up. There is also Button willow recon that would work? I might try some of that, sounds like a fun project, keep in practice in case things go south.

psychicrhino
01-20-2019, 06:58 PM
I imagine either would likely work. I think some wood just is supposed to work better than others. Only one way to find out though :)

psychicrhino
01-20-2019, 07:18 PM
Success. Popped it open long enuff to see it had worked. But not yet cold case a cope of eggs started to glow. So back on with the lid to let it cool for the night.

Hossfly
01-20-2019, 09:03 PM
Let us know how it goes. Very interested in the home made ways.

swamp
01-20-2019, 11:53 PM
You might want to read the home made black powder thread. I have used Willow, Alder and Tree of heaven with good results. You need to get everything as fine as you can. Then mix.

Every thing you need to know is on the above thread.

Enjoy.
swamp

Hossfly
01-21-2019, 12:36 AM
Started reading that thread got thru 7 pages, very interesting, total about 107 pages, good read. Located some willow on a guys place, said i could have all i wanted, glad to get rid of it.

psychicrhino
01-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Thanks Swamp, yes that is a great
Thread. Have read it a couple of times over the years and was an inspiration.

JimB..
01-21-2019, 11:06 AM
I’ve made charcoal in an old ammo can. To prep just remove the gasket and burn the can and lid once to remove anything bad. For use fill it up, close it, and place it with the lid down. Gasses escape from around the lid, no oxygen enters.

mazo kid
01-21-2019, 12:59 PM
If you're going to make black powder, the softer the wood the better. I have read that Basswood is also good. Hard wood charcoal is for BBQ charcoal.

psychicrhino
01-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Found a $4 food processor at Goodwill. Took a while doing the small batches but after sifting through an ultrafine drink screen it is all now converted to airflow charcoal. Used damp paper towels wrapped around the lid to keep the dust down.

psychicrhino
01-22-2019, 07:09 PM
First batch of Holy Black has been milled, corned and is drying. Had it on my mind for years to try this. Looking forward to trying it out.

brass410
01-22-2019, 08:22 PM
how come in the back of my mind I'm hearing " hold my drink and watch this"? this is something I would like to try but keep getting chickened out by imagined disasters. Waiting to see your outcome then maybe I'll get a set and try it.

psychicrhino
01-22-2019, 08:28 PM
First batch of Holy Black has been milled, corned and is drying. Had it on my mind for years to try this. Looking forward to trying it out.

OverMax
01-22-2019, 11:33 PM
Found over time most who try making? use willow. Although there is a preference between Weeping & Black willow? Bark-less black willow is the better of the two woods to cook in a charcoal tort.

Balsa wood is one of the quickest burning charcoals for B/p use. But the tree doesn't grow here in North America.

Next summer my plan is to make charcoal from wild rice straw.

Huvius
01-23-2019, 12:55 AM
You need to get everything as fine as you can. Then mix.
swamp

I’ve found that an electric coffee grinder will make charcoal exceptionally fine - about like black corn starch or cake flour.
Quite messy though.

swamp
01-23-2019, 01:11 AM
I use a dual drum Harbor Freight tumbler as a ball mill. Gets every thing very fine. Then mix and back into the ball mill to get it all combined.

swamp

Good Cheer
01-29-2019, 05:36 PM
how come in the back of my mind I'm hearing " hold my drink and watch this"? this is something I would like to try but keep getting chickened out by imagined disasters. Waiting to see your outcome then maybe I'll get a set and try it.

I made some around 67-68 without knowing anything except the percentages called out in the school library encyclopedia.
Had salt peter from the drug store, sulfur from the gardening supplies and brickettes. Boy howdy was I excited!

indian joe
01-30-2019, 05:28 AM

Handling blackpowder is handling black powder - a pound in a can is a pound in a can - no more dangerous pouring a pound of meal out of the mill drum than decanting from a pound can IN THE LOADING ROOM INTO YOUR POWDER MEASURE - proly LESS dangerous because I bet the homemaker is way more cautious around his powder that most shooters with boughten powder are. Bulk quantities make black powder more dangerous and stupidity seals the deal.

Eddie2002
01-30-2019, 03:59 PM
I've always made my black powder over a lot of layers of newpaper on the work bench and anything that gets spilled is rolled up and disposed of as I go along. I've found out that keeping the work area clean is really important. Just burned up my five dollar thrift store blender running a batch of willow charcoal. It got hot, let that magic smoke out, made a weird noise, smelt funny and stopped running. Ended up still having enough CC for my next batch so it's not all that bad.

indian joe
01-30-2019, 05:33 PM
I've always made my black powder over a lot of layers of newpaper on the work bench and anything that gets spilled is rolled up and disposed of as I go along. I've found out that keeping the work area clean is really important. Just burned up my five dollar thrift store blender running a batch of willow charcoal. It got hot, let that magic smoke out, made a weird noise, smelt funny and stopped running. Ended up still having enough CC for my next batch so it's not all that bad.

Eddie I got an old hand crank meat mincer I put my charcoal chunks through (it grinds up pretty fine) then I store it in sealed can, put the CC through the mill right before I use it.

swamp
01-30-2019, 06:43 PM
I do the same as Indian Joe. Use a hand grinder with the fine cutter. It gets it pretty fine. The milling does the rest.

swamp

Markopolo
01-30-2019, 06:58 PM
I use a Kitchen Aide spice grinder. Everything but the cup is stainless. Easy to clean up and control. A word of advise, DONT USE YOUR WIFE’s STUFF FOR ANY OF THIS HOBBY... that all I am gunna say about that.

Marko

PS.. Clean up after yourself. leave NO TRACE. More free advice.

Eddie2002
01-30-2019, 07:38 PM
I'm on my fourth pound of stump remover which will give me about five pounds of screened home grown which is plenty for what I shoot right now. Just wanted to get a formula and procedure together that is repeatable and check it off my bucket list. All my other components are already ground up fine and the final milling will take care of the rest with this batch. Picked up about a pound chunk of pure sulfur over at a rendezvous last week which I'm saving for my next big batch. Need to replace the blender with another thrift store unit so if I get the bug I can run with it. Making it is almost as fun as shooting it ;)

indian joe
01-31-2019, 06:36 AM
I use a Kitchen Aide spice grinder. Everything but the cup is stainless. Easy to clean up and control.

A word of advise, DONT USE YOUR WIFE’s STUFF FOR ANY OF THIS HOBBY... that all I am gunna say about that.

Marko

PS.. Clean up after yourself. leave NO TRACE. More free advice.

Good advice !!! REALLY, REALLY, GOOD ADVICE!!!!

Markopolo
02-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Lol... just trying to spare some poor man some of my pain.. lol

truckjohn
02-07-2019, 03:55 PM
I love it. My wife looked at me funny when I made my own pine tar by cooking down heart pine lumps I found in the woods... Imagine her looks when I grind up home made charcoal in the food processor ;) ;).

markX
03-25-2020, 10:04 AM
Apolgies for reviving an old post...

Psychicrhino clear your pm box. It’s full and can’t pm.

Thx