PDA

View Full Version : Unertl lens caps

roysha
01-20-2019, 01:02 PM
Recently I purchased a Unertl 1 1/4" Target scope for my WIN M-75. I got the scope for a very low price since it was somewhat cosmetically challenged and missing the screw in lens caps. The light rust and staining cleaned up very nicely and I made the scope caps. They turned out quite well and fit as they should. Colored them with Brownell's Oxpho Blue.

Made the ocular cap from some leaded stock and it went easily. The objective cap I made from a piece of old farm machinery shafting, I can't remember what I took it off/out of, I had laying around in the barn. It machined quite a bit tougher. 48 TPI and my old eyes made for some interesting times.

country gent
01-20-2019, 02:08 PM
48 tpi aren't very deep. Takes a sharp point on the threading tool. Nice looking job on them.

Jeff Michel
01-20-2019, 02:11 PM
Nice job, After I turned fifty, I went to wearing an opti-visor for most of my single point threading. Makes a huge difference.

GBertolet
01-20-2019, 02:16 PM
I made caps like those for a Fecker scope for a 513T Rem, I purchased without lens caps. It was quite tedious, but worthwhile in the end.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Having used that type of scope for over forty years and shooting with others who did the same, I was amazed at how many men just threw the caps away. I have no idea why. You did a great job on the caps. A friend once made me the locking ring for the Lyman STS
front lens adjustment. When I showed it to him years later he asked, "did I make that"?

Reverend Al
01-20-2019, 03:58 PM
I wish I had your skills and equipment ... I have a 3/4" Unertl small game scope that is missing it's objective cover. The ocular cover is still there, but the front cover is MIA ...

:(

Good Cheer
01-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Does anyone make or have springs for the 3/4"?

KCSO
01-30-2019, 12:58 PM
I usually thread backwards on this kind of stuff. Lots easier when you don't have to make a sudden stop. Lookin Good!

Reverend Al
01-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Does anyone make or have springs for the 3/4"?

Try Champion Shooters Supply ...

http://www.championshooters.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=953&virtuemart_category_id=101&Itemid=111