PDA

View Full Version : New .32-170-FP RCBS Mold

Leadforbrains
10-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Well I finally got back home to find my packages from MidSouth and Midway waiting on me. I got my new RCBS mold that I ordered to feed my .32 Win Special out and noticed that it appears to be some sort of metal other than cast iron. The finish or color of the mold seems to be like antique brass???
Any how it casts some beeootiful boolits. the Lyman gaschecks snap right onto the bases. I am very happy with the way everything is turning out so far.[smilie=w:

Bret4207
10-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Probably just a finish they applied. I had a Lyman that was very, very yellow that I bought off Ebay. Looked like tarnished brass. It was steel alright and the finish remains although less than it was. No clue what it is.

NHlever
10-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Molds from Lyman, and RCBS are heat cured, or heat treated, and the coloring is a result of that process. There is a complicated explanation about the transformation of the makeup of the steel, but sufice it to say that the process makes the steel more stable, and less likely to warp, etc. with repeated heating, and cooling cycles. It also adds a very nice look! Depending on the amount of heat they use that color can range from "straw" ( perhaps what you are seeing" to "blue". If you heat a thin piece of steel carefully with a propane torch, you will see it transition through those color ranges.

Leadforbrains
10-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just got done loading 20 rnds to try at the range hopefully on Sunday. I am planning to slip down to my Dad's place this Thanksgiving and take a deer with my 94 using these boolits that I have just cast and loaded

Calamity Jake
10-10-2008, 03:06 PM
That heat treat process is called "stress releaving" and without it, it would be real hard to make a good boolet in an iron mould.

GrizzLeeBear
10-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Hey Leadforbrains, what size do those boolits drop out at? Was wondering if that mold would cast fat enough for an 8mm (.323 bore) for a hunting boolit?

Leadforbrains
10-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Hey Leadforbrains, what size do those boolits drop out at? Was wondering if that mold would cast fat enough for an 8mm (.323 bore) for a hunting boolit?

You know I haven't even checked that (still a newbie at this). I just ran them through my RCBS .321 sizer loaded them up and shot them Sunday. I did noticed that when I sized them it took some effort on my part and that the driving bands were noticeably sqeezed down.
They shot really well Sunday. The 50 yard groups were under an inch in my Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special. There was no leading to be found after 17 rounds. The bore was still bright and shiny.

GrizzLeeBear
10-13-2008, 10:41 AM
.... I did noticed that when I sized them it took some effort on my part and that the driving bands were noticeably sqeezed down..

Sounds like they might be fat enough for a 8mm. When you get a chance, measure some and post what you find out.

My father-in-law has a really nice Win. 94 in .32 with the half octagon half round 24" barrel. He might enjoy some cast boolit loads for it. If that mold drops them fat enough it would make a nice hunting boolit for both the 8mm mauser and the .32 spl.

stocker
10-13-2008, 11:23 AM
My same mould drops them at almost .325. I size to .323 as that is the largest die I have on hand. Contemplating honing it out to near .325. .323 shoots pretty darn good in my M64 but a bit larger might be better and I think it would be a lot better in my 8mm Brno 21H which has a .323 bore.