PDA

View Full Version : Browning BL-22

sandog
01-17-2019, 08:58 AM
I had one of these in my youth, and recently had a hankering for another .22 Lever.
With the price of Marlin 39's and Winchester 9422's going through the roof, I set my sights on the BL-22.
I have no interest in a Henry. A friend has one, and every time we take our .22's to the range I shoot his some.
While it's smooth and accurate, it's just not my cup of tea. It reminds me of a 9422, albeit a "budget version".

For a bit more $$, a used BL-22 is a step up in quality. The BL-22 is about as compact and light as you can get in a .22 repeater. And it has some cool features.

Bolt locks up to breech, not just held forward by the lever like other .22 levers.

Controlled round feeding, feeds well in any position, even upside down. Never, ever heard of a feeding issue with them. Feeds short, long, and long rifle, in any combination. (can you even buy longs anymore ???)

Mag tube latch will snap in at any position, doesn't have to be lined up with a notch.

Super short 33 degree lever throw. You don't have to take your hand off the lever to work the action.
Keep your thumb on the upper tang, and just flex your fingers open and closed.
The fastest, least aim disturbing, manually operated repeater going.

I had to chuckle when I read a couple of reviews about the BL-22. Both guys said the short lever throw allows you to keep the carbine up to your shoulder when firing.
Heck, any lever allows you to do that. For that matter, with any shoulder fired rifle or shotgun ever made, you can keep it up to your shoulder when you cycle the action.
The whole "don't have to take your hand off the grip" thing was lost on them.

These have your typical Miroku quality. New BL-22's are just as nice and well made as ones made back in the 70's. How many other brands can you think of that are made as well today as things were back then ?

I had just seen a new Grade I at the LGS, priced at $550. I went to a gunshow the next day, and saw this Grade II in very nice shape, priced at $350. I plunked down the cash without delay, and when I got home checked the serial number, and it was made in 1976.
It appeared to have been fired very little, if at all.

Some guys have said they shot one with a very heavy trigger pull, but all I've shot have been in the 5 pound range. Mine was 5 1/4 lbs. when I got it, after a few hundred rounds, it is at 4 3/4, and very crisp.
Anyone else have one of these cool little lever .22's ?
https://i.imgur.com/zdqol09h.jpg

lefty o
01-17-2019, 10:47 AM
i agree with you, the BLR is a quality rifle. comparing it to a henry is like comparing a yugo to a caddy. in a henry 22, everything but the barrel is pot metal, but it dont sell for pot metal prices.

pworley1
01-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Had mine since 71. I have never had an issue with mine even with the cheapest ammo. My brother and I bought two with consecutive serial numbers. I think his is long gone.

rking22
01-17-2019, 11:33 AM
A good friend had one in high school, we shot it A LOT! Great little rifle, and yes still the same quality is an unusual thing. Good find, if I saw one like that for that money it would be mine mine mine..

Texas by God
01-17-2019, 01:34 PM
I may get flamed but IMO the BL-22 is the best .22 lever action ever. My brother got one for his first gun in 1970 and his son has it now. The only issue it ever had was an over pressure CCI Stinger round that ruptured and popped the extractor out. It was an easy fix. Yes, I'm including the Marlin 39 and the Win 94-22 and the Erma/Ithaca/Henry for comparison. I have owned and used those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sparky45
01-17-2019, 02:37 PM
I really like the short throw of the lever on the BL-22; fantastic rifle.

hc18flyer
01-17-2019, 02:59 PM
I had to put mine on layaway at JC Penney in 1982, I was really married with a daughter, just couldn't live without it! My 12 year old Grandson is coveting it! He better plan on taking good care of Grandpa, if he wants it! Nice shooting 22, hc18flyer

Thundarstick
01-17-2019, 06:09 PM
I've had a couple of them, but the one I plan on having in the safe when I die is the BL-22 FLD Octagon version. Man it's sweet! I'm real partial to the T-Bolts as well.

I'll second the opinion that these BL-22 it the best of all the lever actions in my book as well.

sandog
01-17-2019, 07:45 PM
The one drawback is that the BL is almost TOO light for steady holding. I want to add a sling to help steady off hand shots, but hate to drill into the stock. So I might get one of those butt cuffs that the sling attaches to, and do the magazine band up front.
I have heard the BL-22 isn't the easiest to get back together, because of the ejector that has to stay in that hole while connecting the two halves back.
It's probably easier to take down than the 9422 or Henry, but not quite as easy as the Marlin.

But, the BL-22 is very durable and maintenance free, not likely to need taking apart. And the action stays pretty clean, compared to say, an autoloader like the 10-22.

Plate plinker
01-17-2019, 08:32 PM
The BL-22 is a great lever gun.

Gewehr-Guy
01-18-2019, 12:27 AM
I've had mine since '72, and shot many 100's of jacks and gophers with it , and I agree it is a wonderfully built rifle. I think the 9422 Win is heavier built gun, and will last about 3 lifetimes of heavy use, but I still prefer using the Browning. Wish I would have ordered one in 17 Mach 2? caliber when they were about giving them away a few years ago!

jmorris
01-18-2019, 09:04 AM
I have a grade II as well, I haven’t seen it in 10 years, I need to dig it out and go shoot it.

NSB
01-18-2019, 10:21 AM
Huge mistake......reading this thread. Now I want one. Nice.

Gewehr-Guy
01-18-2019, 12:37 PM
I just noticed that reciever sight, I want one. Williams?

Drm50
01-18-2019, 01:21 PM
I rate lever 22s as : #1 Marlin 39, #2 Brn BL-22, #3 Win 9422, Henry is a novelty gun. The Brn & Win are really not traditional but both fine 22 rifles. All I've owned were smooth function and good accurate rifles. My first rifle
was a Marlin 1897 when I was a kid and I've accumulated a few 39s over the years. The last one I bought new
in early 70s. To me the 39 is the 22 lever action. It had a long run and was only dropped because of expense to
produce it. My dad wanted a Win 73 in 22. Over the years he never found one to his liking. The shape was bad or the price to high. I won't be buying 39s for $600 and up, I got mine before they became collectors items.

boommer
01-19-2019, 09:53 PM
BL-22 hands down! Winchester 9422 is pricey but you can pick them up for 800 but if take care of it you will always get your money back.

osteodoc08
01-20-2019, 04:45 PM
I love my BL-22. Picked it up used years ago. Frequent companion to the range. I find the short throw lever is "easier" for the kids to "learn" on. Has dovetail slot so there is no need for any bases. I love mine for sure.

Thin Man
01-22-2019, 09:15 AM
SWMBO and I married in 1970. As a wedding gift I bought her a BL-22 Grade II, new in the box. Was hoping she would take an interest in shooting and hunting with me. Never happened, and worse than that she has never fired the rifle in the 48 years and change since we married. I have taken it out 1 or 2 times, so it has been fired a total of less than 100 rounds in it's lifetime. I'm impressed by the lifter assembly in this rifle. Once I was told it is a clone from the Winchester 61 lifter, and that would explain why these are so reliable. Maybe some day she will agree to go to the range with me.

sparky45
01-22-2019, 10:37 AM
I accidentally shot my wife to be 40+ years ago; she not only still married me, she still likes to shoot with me at times. Luckily she hasn't YET tried to get even.

boommer
01-24-2019, 01:18 AM
NOW if they came out with the BL in 22 mag that would be a hot little seller or what! FOR ME AT LEAST would you buy one ?

FergusonTO35
01-24-2019, 09:41 PM
i agree with you, the BLR is a quality rifle. comparing it to a henry is like comparing a yugo to a caddy. in a henry 22, everything but the barrel is pot metal, but it dont sell for pot metal prices.

I have a Henry H001T. The only pot metal on mine is the receiver casting, which cowboy action shooters have shown will go tens of thousands of rounds just fine. Other than the aluminum receiver cover and plastic buttplate everything else is wood or steel. I paid $300.00 for it. No way are you going to buy a lever action .22 with an octagonal barrel from any other make for even twice that price, if you can even find one at all.

Back on topic, the BL-22 was a close second choice, the octagonal barrel sold me on the Henry. Wouldnt mind having a BL-22 also someday.

dverna
01-25-2019, 12:33 AM
I have a Grade II. Thinking about selling it. Too pretty for me to use. Have a NIB 9422 as well.

Heck, I have not shot a .22 rifle in over 6 months and I have six of them. Need to change that.

boommer
01-25-2019, 03:27 AM
nothing wrong with the henrys at all ! the brownies BL's are just a great little rifle.

sandog
01-26-2019, 10:53 PM
Got out with the BL-22 again today. The Williams GRS sight is still too far down, partway off the base, but man is she sighted in !
I went through about 200 rounds, shooting at empty shotshell hulls, breaking small rocks into dust, and popping some golf balls I had thrown down range.

I don't think I can, or want to go much higher with the front sight, so will break down and buy a Skinner, or else go red dot with another FastFire. But what a fun little plinker.
https://i.imgur.com/uegO9cPh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fjJIGnih.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vagZwpNh.jpg
Shot my JM Marlin ..45 Cowboy too:
https://i.imgur.com/pokf3Tah.jpg

FergusonTO35
01-27-2019, 11:32 AM
I like your taste in rifles and sights! How tall is the front on your BL-22? The WGRS receiver sight you have on it probably requires something like .550. I had one on my Henry for awhile. Replaced it with an FP-GR which is just awesome.

sandog
01-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Ferguson. Nice levers are a joy yo own and shoot.
That front sight is a .470". I think it already looks too tall, so I'll probably get the FP-GR or a Skinner.
I just used the WGRS because I already had it, and didn't have to put out more money.
I have the FP on my Marlin 1894 and they are great.

FergusonTO35
01-27-2019, 02:07 PM
FP-GR with target knobs is on my Henry H001T. It works great and gets the aperture a lot lower than the WGRS does.

sandog
01-27-2019, 02:26 PM
FP-GR with target knobs is on my Henry H001T. It works great and gets the aperture a lot lower than the WGRS does.
The FP I have on my 1894 .45 Colt was originally made for my Marlin 39M. It seemed way to wide for that thin receiver, and hung over both sides a lot.
I ground down the thick base (which Williams puts on to help center the sight better on slim receivered .22's.
Once I did that, it fit the 1894 much better than it ever did the 39M.

Some reviews I read on the FP-GR said that they liked the sight, but thought it was too big (wide) looking for a little .22.
The Skinner is $30-$40 more, but I think I'd like how it looks on the BL-22.
http://www.skinnersights.com/rimfire_groove_sights_25.html

sharps4590
01-27-2019, 07:01 PM
I had one for years and killed a truck load of squirrels and rabbits with it. It had been my Dad's and somewhere in the dim, distant past we worked a trade and I ended up with it. He didn't like lever rifles and I do so I expect he was pretty generous with me. He liked his Marlin Mod. 60 better than the Browning!!! I gave it to my oldest son....goodness, 20 years ago? It's the only Browning I ever wanted and only one I've ever owned. Were I to get a lever 22 today it would probably be a Marlin '91 or '39. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Browning, I just prefer the Marlin's. Henry's don't interest me in the least and I never warmed to the Winchester although I'm generally a Winchester guy. Go figger? I wouldn't part with my Mod. 74 Winchester but it was Dad's. Other than that I'd have no interest in it.

Patrick L
02-06-2019, 03:48 PM
You know, a Marlin 39 is one of my bucket list guns, but darned if this hasn't got me thinking!!!!