PDA

View Full Version : Broken 310 decap pin with kudos

bbogue1
01-16-2019, 10:36 PM
I was loading 9mm on my Tru Line Jr. when the handle dropped and the case raised. At the same time I was rotating the turret. As soon as I heard the "tink" I just knew I'd broken the decap pin. Dang!!! I don't know how many decades have passed since the die had been completely taken apart and cleaned because it barely turned in the turret and sure was stiff getting it apart. I wire brushed the threads of the die and the decap pin shaft and applied alot of muscle to getting the pin holder unscrewed from the pin shaft. Now it is cleaned and put back together. I learned a lesson and disassembled and cleaned the rest of the dies so they all work like new. Regular cleaning should be something I should do, wouldn't you agree?

Kidos ..... I called the 310 Shop and new pins are on the way. Great guy to talk to about the early days of reloading, particularly the use of 310 dies and the handles that were used by the buffalo hunters back in the day. I learned a bit about black powder, too. My compliments to the 310 Shop for fantastic customer service.

3006guns
01-20-2019, 07:25 AM
I've ALWAYS had good service from The 310 Shop. I make it a practice to order several new decapping pins whenever I place an order for something else. They go into a small envelope as spares.

A lot of 310 (not Tru Line)tool owners aren't aware that the decapping pin should protrude as little as possible, just enough to push the primer out. Unlike inline tools, the 310 works on an arc and that pin will only take so many cycles of bending back and forth before it lets go.

44magLeo
12-03-2019, 03:40 PM
At the price of a 10 pack it's almost insane not to keep some around. These pins work in some other dies too.
Leo

Green Frog
12-03-2019, 05:22 PM
I keep a little tube of decapping pins in my range box... if a pin is going to break it is most likely to break when at the range and far from home. Ask Mr Murphy! :roll:

Froggie