PDA

View Full Version : Most Boolits Cast in One Session

GregLaROCHE
01-15-2019, 02:32 PM
What is the maximum number of boolits you have cast in one session? One person only, no help.

My maximum was right at a thousand by weight with culls removed during casting. Two boolit mold. 140gr 6.5mm. My wrist hurt afterwards.

John McCorkle
01-15-2019, 02:35 PM
1200 ish after culls removed...but it was a Lee 6 gang mold (120 tc)...I'm sure others have gone gang busters on a mold in a day though... interested to see the numbers on this!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Hossfly
01-15-2019, 03:10 PM
Most was about 500. After inspection.

JBinMN
01-15-2019, 03:12 PM
Since I do not usually count boolits when casting, and I do multiple calibers using different cavity moulds I usually go by the amount of ingots used for guesstimate of how many cast in a session. I also set a certain amount of time I will cast before I am going to get tired of it, and that is another limitation.
So, I would have to say the most I have ever done is, guessing 75 lbs of lead in a session. I remember the very last session was that amount anyway. Others may have been less than that, but not more. I do a bunch of boolits in the Fall before the cold of Winter comes since I work with lead outside.

Converting to numbers, for one sample session( the last most recent one)

If I use 20 lbs for 230 SWC or RN that would be a little over 600 boolits
If I do 10 lbs for each(20 lbs) 120 TC or 124 TC that would be a little over 580/560
If I do 10 lbs for 124gr RN that ends up being a bit over 560
If I do 5 lbs for 102 RN it comes to a little over 340
If I do 10 lbs 158gr SWC the total would run over 440
and if I do 10 lbs of 148gr DEWC it turns out about approx. 470

Equals 75 lbs. and somewhere close to the amount of 3450 or so boolits in that session, before culling. I don't inspect "every" boolit while casting. The obvious bad ones go into the pot & then I cull almost every step of the way up to & including as I raise the press to seat them. Obvious culls when first starting out if the mold is not hot enough or something like that, would not be in the counts above. The amounts above are solely by the amounts of lead & what each pound will produce +/- of good boolits.

That is an honest & as far as I can say, accurate amount cast. I would guess that I get somewhere in the range of 90-95% make it into a case, so if that was part of the figuring then around 3100 get used to completed rounds.

I hope ya find that info interesting, as I did, since I had not figured it out before. I think I average prolly 40-50 lbs each session the rest of the time. Like I said, the last time for before Winter & cold set in. I would have to do the math to get an "average" for boolits each session & it would depend on what caliber & weight boolits I needed as well.
One can cast a lot of 102 gr. boolits out of just 5-10 lbs of lead, and obviously less for 230 gr. boolits out of 5-10 lbs, so the amount of "boolits" might not be so important as the amount of lead cast.

Anyway, I hope I helped out in what ya wanted to know.
:)

ETA - BTW, If I got the right pic, I "think" this is around 600 - 230 SWC & RN in just those 2 piles ( 300 each or so). :

Here is another pic with more types, both on the shirt & in the cup behind and that was not all in that particular session as I still had more to cast, IIRC.

Tazza
01-15-2019, 03:34 PM
I have an automated master caster, so my production is far less taxing than people using hand held moulds, i stop when it gets dark, or when things just aren't running right.

I have done 8-9,000 9mm 125 conicals in one session before. I was running the mould really hot, very short cycle times with a mould that didn't want to play unless it was super hot. It did the job, i have since replaced that fussy mould. It ran so hot that there were multiple culls due to the fact the projectiles were still soft when being dropped.

dverna
01-15-2019, 03:45 PM
About 2000 by weight using a 10 cavity H&G 50B.

reddog81
01-15-2019, 04:44 PM
I enjoy casting but, after 15 to 20 pounds out of a Lee 20 lbs pot I get bored. I know I've done 25 lbs before, of course 350 grain bullets drain a pot much quicker than 115 grain bullets. I've probably done 700 to 800 bullets in a single session. After that I'm ready to check out.

Loudy13
01-15-2019, 04:50 PM
1800ish, using a 8 gang 9mm mold probably wont do that much of a marathon again in the future, I'm usually good for about a solid hour maybe hour and a half then my feet get cold. (winter casting)

jsizemore
01-15-2019, 05:43 PM
2500 cast, sized and lubed. 125gr 9mm and 230gr 45acp ball. It was a long day and evening. 4 cavity molds.

RU shooter
01-15-2019, 05:48 PM
You guys are making my wrists and hands hurt just reading . I get about a cool whip tub filled with a 2 cav.mould ladle pouring and that's about all I got in me for one day .

bmortell
01-15-2019, 05:50 PM
I only have 2 cavity molds so about 350 keepers. any more than that I just REALLY want to move on to the next step.

Mitch
01-15-2019, 06:02 PM
I don't rely count bulets I go by pounds.the nost I ever cast in one day was about 65lbs.and I am sure that was 320gr lee TC from a 6 hole or 180gr NOE WFN 5 hole.I would say my more norml day would be 30 to 40lbs.like said above after the day I casting I get sore hands and back.

Wheelguns 1961
01-15-2019, 06:04 PM
I enjoy casting but, after 15 to 20 pounds out of a Lee 20 lbs pot I get bored. I know I've done 25 lbs before, of course 350 grain bullets drain a pot much quicker than 115 grain bullets. I've probably done 700 to 800 bullets in a single session. After that I'm ready to check out.
This is basically what I do. A full pot, all bullets the same. When I get low on something I have been using, I cast another batch. Keeps it pretty simple. Of course I sometimes tweek the alloy.

GregLaROCHE
01-15-2019, 06:50 PM
I often stop too, because my feet get cold.

wv109323
01-15-2019, 07:26 PM
About 700 using a 4 cavity mold.

lightman
01-15-2019, 08:12 PM
About 1200. A normal session will run 600-800 depending on when my back decides its quitting time. This is before culling but I don't have many culls. Sizing and lubing would be at another time but I usually size about the same number in a session. It is easier to interrupt a sizing session than it is a casting session.

Taterhead
01-15-2019, 08:12 PM
About 50 pounds or about 2100 boolits. That was a lot of inspection, coating and sizing to follow!

Combination of NOE 5 cav, LBT 4 cav, and one or two double cavity, if I recall correctly.

TNsailorman
01-15-2019, 08:16 PM
The longest cast session I ever did lasted about 6 hrs plus. I was casting a Lyman SC .439 mold. I think I loaded around 240 boolits before my arthritis kicked in and I had to quit for the day. I am getting too old for stuff like that. james

ghh3rd
01-15-2019, 08:54 PM
Mine was 30+ lbs of a mix of 200 gr and 230 gr boolits, running both molds at the same time. The final count was almost 1,000 boolits.

BigMagShooter
01-15-2019, 08:56 PM
I'm up to about 10 bullets now. :)

10mmShooter
01-15-2019, 09:21 PM
3 hrs prior to lunch then another 3 hrs after...that's my max, 800-1000 max production.

JBinMN
01-15-2019, 11:07 PM
Y'know... I am now wondering, "How often" do some folks cast?".

The Fall casting session I posted about earlier is to cover for not casting til after the cold of Winter, means I cast those boolits in Mid-late October, and do a lot at one time, since I do not cast again until around March when the temps get back up to about the same as in October. So, it is not an "average" day of casting.

Like I mentioned earlier, 40-50 lbs is pretty close to a normal session of a few mixed calibers & not the wide range I make for Winter work loading up rounds..

Since I cast outside, I try to pick days that are not too hot or cold, little to slight winds, low to mid humidity, and NO rain forecast. That limits me to pick days that I have the time, that meet those criteria for "weather" ( & my health issues/ I have trouble breathing in certain conditions. COPD.) & when I do cast, I want to cast as many as I can be comfortable with doing, before I get tired & possibly start making mistakes.

I cast alone 99.9 % of the time & I have a certain rhythm I follow. I will not carry on conversations when casting or reloading, at minimum for safety sake, and I do not want ANY distractions when handling hot things, or things that can go BANG real hard if I mess up.

I use mostly 6 cavity molds with some 2 bangers. {My only molds for 230 are a SWC(1) & 230 RN(2) 2 cav.. I use (1)- 2 cav. for the 102-RN, (1) - 2 cav. for 240gr SWC, and (1) 30 cal 150 RF. The 6 cavs are the (2) 356- 120 TC (1)356-124 TC, (1)356-124 RN , (1) 358-158 SWC & (1) 358-148 WC} }
With those 6 banger molds I can rock & roll some boolits once the rhythm gets going. The molds stay the right temp using them one after the other, while the next lineup of molds is sitting on a hotplate for their turn, & when it comes time to add ingots I have stacked & sitting within reach, it is not much time to let molds cool so things run pretty smooth.
Adding back in in sprues & any bad culls I catch as I cast takes little time either.
Adding flux of wax/beeswax is as simple as sticking the little ball, or the end of the long candle in the melt & doing some stirring til it "flashes".
I have "stations" set up for a Left to right movement to try to keep things efficient.

If you look at those pics I posted earlier you are seeing what is on the most far right of the stations.

Out of pics to the left is the sprue & cull can that is the same size ( #10 can) as the dross can in the pic, there is also an empty space on the endgate for the molds to sit as I set them in order as I pour. ( I usually run 2-3 molds back to back, then repeat.) just off towards the left side of the endgate is the hotplate for the other molds to pre heat while I am casting whatever the caliber is that I am running at the time. Ingots are between the hotplate & the furnace table in front of me, sitting on the endgate, the table is just off & next to the endgate of the P/U truck.

The furnace table that is about the size of a TV tray & about the same height. Also just about the same height as the endgate.

On it sets the 10lb Lee pot ( bought years ago for when I poured sinkers & jigs for fishing), a wooden paint paddle or wood shim for stirring, a tablespoon with holes drilled in it for scooping out dross & a long candle & some beeswax ready for fluxing.
If I am using water drop, the 5 gal. pail with the wet towel & screen( like a paint roller screen to keep the boolits from hitting the water directly & also from hitting one another as I drop them) is just off the edge of the endgate to my right & would be about where the most right hand pile of boolits in the pic sets.

So, I have a "system" of "stations" that allows me to just keep starting from the Left & moving to the right as I run the caliber I am using & keep going until I want a break , change an alloy or caliber, or whatever.

I mostly do pistol all at one time, do rifle all at one time & do shotgun slug all at one time, since there is alloy differences in what I wan to do & it keeps the pot full of one alloy at a time.

I use 50/50 + a little tin for most of my pistol boolits, unless I do a bit of adjustment in ratio for one reason or another, harder alloy for rifle & and soft pure lead for slugs. so it is easier on me to just do one alloy type at a time, run the pistol calibers & then do any rifle or harder runs another day & do shotgun by themselves.
( sometimes I just use the 2 little electric pots for them & not even use the lee 10 pounder. keeping the alloys separate & not getting a mix between types.)

Well... I know that was a long post & if ya read this far ya learned a bit on how "I" do my own way of casting.

I am sure others have their own ways as well, but this style has been working for me since my days of casting fishing jigs & sinkers & it was not hard to adapt to casting boolits.

Hopefully this will help explain my process for casting boolits & also help folks understand how I did the output I have posted above, since so far, other than the fella from Down Under(Oz/Aus., who uses Magna Cast, only one feller here has posted up a similar amount of casting, even though I did say it was a type of "marathon" due to my not casting from Oct to March because of the weather..

Short version... I was not BS-ing anyone in the amounts I listed. Other than the 9mm ones I cast that day & have been getting ready to load up, ( <150 sitting ready to load on the bench as I type) since I have been shooting more 9mm than anything else but .22 lately, I think I still have most of the other boolits from that run sitting on the bottom shelf of one of my shelf setups & could go down & take pics of them to show here... Heck, I might even do that if I get the itch.
;)

Anyway, I am enjoying seeing what folks post up here. I was just feeling odd since not many were seeming to post as much in a session/run, but they may be casting "more often" than I have to make the difference...

P Flados
01-15-2019, 11:12 PM
I really have not kept track and am pretty sure the most has been around 40#.

Now, this little batch was probably closer to one 20# pot, but at 55 gr there be a lot of little 32s in the pile:

A more typical big batch would be something like these 35 cal 160's from a Lee 6 cav:

My most recent decent batch was a mix of 35 cal 180s and 200s from my home crafted custom 2 cav mold:

Stephen Cohen
01-15-2019, 11:26 PM
When much younger and casting for myself and two mates, I cast over 4000 230gr .45s and it took a long day. I still cast between 500 to 2000 in one hit, but I enjoy casting and take pride and pleasure in it. Regards Stephen

Oily
01-15-2019, 11:47 PM
Lyman 452488 4 cavity with modified Lee handles. 512 boolits before culling. Tried to cast too long and I am sure the last 40 or 50 would cull out. Bulging discs in shoulders and neck cause my arms and hands to go numb. But when I get on a roll I want to cast as many as possible. I am stubborn and pay for it the next day. This boolit and 5 gr bullseye is my go to mild load in my 1911s, even my culls when powder coated are accurate.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-15-2019, 11:54 PM
One productive Saturday afternoon/evening, I piled up about 2000 from a NOE 5 cavity mold (358-128-SWC). I did take a break for dinner...so I guess it was more like two sessions back-to-back...but all in one day.

BTW, the week following that casting session, I split a couple cords of firewood (hydraulic woodsplitter), I remember it well, as that was the beginning of the tendinitis in my left wrist...still have that today...I now cast holding the mold with my right hand because of it.

Boomsticks Firearms
01-16-2019, 12:05 AM
If I remember correctly the most I have cast was something over 60 pounds but I don’t turn on the pot unless I am going to cast at least 20 pounds

ghh3rd
01-16-2019, 12:29 AM
I'm up to about 10 bullets now.
We’ve all been at 10 boolits... keep on truckin...

GregLaROCHE
01-16-2019, 06:31 AM
JBinMn. That’s a good idea drilling holes in the spoon to remove dross. First time I’ve heard of it. How big are the holes ?

Wheelguns 1961
01-16-2019, 06:49 AM
JB in min, I usually cast about 500-600 at a time with one mold. When I get low on one particular bullet, I plan a casting session. I am lucky that I have a garage to do it in. I have been shooting alot, and acquiring new molds, so I am getting a little behind in my casting. So normally once or twice a month. If it is too cold, I will fire up the kerosene heater. If it is too hot, I will sweat, but I enjoy it. I like the idea of doing it all in the spring and fall, but I am just not that organized.

BNE
01-16-2019, 07:25 AM
I typically do 500 to 1000 at a time.

I think it’s funny that so many have posted pictures of their “pile of bullets” after a casting session. I have a bunch of those pictures as well. A lot of work and love go into those piles.

hermans
01-16-2019, 08:29 AM
When using a 6 cavity brass mold I normally get about 800 good boolits in a 2 hour session, then the wrist really hurts. I also use a 8 cavity aluminum mold, also from MP Molds, with that one I get about 1200 boolits, but then my back normally gives notice.

lightman
01-16-2019, 09:50 AM
Y'know... I am now wondering, "How often" do some folks cast?".

I do most of my casting in the Spring. I'll start pretty soon since we have been having a mild winter and I'll go up to early Summer or until it get too hot for comfort. I cast in my shop. Its not air conditioned but I do have a gas stove that I hardly ever use. I'll cast once a week during that time.

I have a steel work bench in my shop. I'll have a buddy or two over and we talk and visit while casting. Sometimes in the afternoon we'll even have a beer! We're careful not to get distracted and we have a good time. They end up leaving their pots, tools and lead here for most of that time, only taking their bullets and molds home. The electrical system is strong enough to run 3 pots and a hot plate or two.

I built a shallow wooden box with a divider in it. The pot sits in one side and the other side catches my cast bullets. I put a folded towel in that side. I have a few tools close by, an iron pot for dross, an old candle for fluxing and a Bic lighter. A can of brake cleaner and an old tooth brush.

It makes for a comfortable set up.

JBinMN
01-16-2019, 11:30 AM
JBinMn. That’s a good idea drilling holes in the spoon to remove dross. First time I’ve heard of it. How big are the holes ?

I do not know for sure the size of the holes as I drilled the spoon a long time ago, but I want to say 3/16" or so. I will go out & take a pic later of my "furnace table", and maybe even set up as if I was going to cast, just to show the setup I use. When I do that I will look at the spoon & see what size they are.

Not gonna cast though, I am limping from lower back & knee pain I got from doing the jig on some ice a few days ago & it is uncomfortable to do a lot of standing or walking.

JBinMN
01-16-2019, 11:38 AM
JB in min, I usually cast about 500-600 at a time with one mold. When I get low on one particular bullet, I plan a casting session. I am lucky that I have a garage to do it in. I have been shooting alot, and acquiring new molds, so I am getting a little behind in my casting. So normally once or twice a month. If it is too cold, I will fire up the kerosene heater. If it is too hot, I will sweat, but I enjoy it. I like the idea of doing it all in the spring and fall, but I am just not that organized.

I have a garage, but it is not set up for good enough ventilation, IMO, to cast in there. I have the things I need to set it up, but have not yet installed the stuff. So, I have been casting outside. Even for jigs & sinkers. Which reminds me, I need to make more of them too, this Spring.

Like I said, I cast when I feel the need for some boolits & it is usually about once a month until Fall, then the big one like I mentioned. I have not yet loaded up much of the Fall marathon, so they are sitting on a shelf waiting. I may take some pics of them as well, just cause.
;)

I would not mind the heat so much when casting, but the combined heat & the humidity that comes with it makes it hard for me to breathe. The Cold gets me too as I get arthritis in my joints and a casting session would likely put my down for a few days to a week if I did it then, besides the cold doesn't help the heating process & even a small breeze makes it feel colder yet. No, I can wait until it gets more reasonable to cast out there. LOL

JBinMN
01-16-2019, 11:40 AM

I think it’s funny that so many have posted pictures of their “pile of bullets” after a casting session. I have a bunch of those pictures as well. A lot of work and love go into those piles.

LOL I am guilty of that, on occasion. I just did it mostly because some folks, when they ask about me doing it, can't grasp it well. So pics help fill in the blanks.

John McCorkle
01-16-2019, 11:51 AM

I think it’s funny that so many have posted pictures of their “pile of bullets” after a casting session. I have a bunch of those pictures as well. A lot of work and love go into those piles.Ain't it the truth though...my wife wonders why I run my fingers though a pile of cast bullets and smile...I tell her it's the same reason I put my hands on my hips and smile after mowing the lawn!

JBinMN
01-16-2019, 11:51 AM
When using a 6 cavity brass mold I normally get about 800 good boolits in a 2 hour session, then the wrist really hurts. I also use a 8 cavity aluminum mold, also from MP Molds, with that one I get about 1200 boolits, but then my back normally gives notice.

I understand about the getting sore myself. Even on short runs I "pay" later physically now...
;)

I do most of my casting in the Spring. I'll start pretty soon since we have been having a mild winter and I'll go up to early Summer or until it get too hot for comfort. I cast in my shop. Its not air conditioned but I do have a gas stove that I hardly ever use. I'll cast once a week during that time.

I have a steel work bench in my shop. I'll have a buddy or two over and we talk and visit while casting. Sometimes in the afternoon we'll even have a beer! We're careful not to get distracted and we have a good time. They end up leaving their pots, tools and lead here for most of that time, only taking their bullets and molds home. The electrical system is strong enough to run 3 pots and a hot plate or two.

I built a shallow wooden box with a divider in it. The pot sits in one side and the other side catches my cast bullets. I put a folded towel in that side. I have a few tools close by, an iron pot for dross, an old candle for fluxing and a Bic lighter. A can of brake cleaner and an old tooth brush.

It makes for a comfortable set up.

Our Winter has been mild off & on as well, but the winds that bring the mild have been along with gusts sometimes up to 30-40 mph and not good for much else either, let alone casting. Flying kites & wrecking them maybe..LOL

I can't chat with others when casting or loading, myself. I just stop if someone comes over until they leave, or I shut it down. I don't want any accidents & with my luck, something will & I don't need the hassle.

Sounds like your setup is just right for you. I just set mine up like a mini assembly line & then when I am done I let things cool & then put the stuff back away til next time. I guess that is another topic... "What is your casting setup?", but it is likely here in the Archives somewhere, I just don't think I have run across it yet.
--------------------------------------

I better stop here now, been on a little posting marathon in this topic. Better let others post a bit & get back to what is the "Most boolits cast in one session" subject, eh?
;)

RED BEAR
01-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Don't count them usually not more than two 4x4x4 inch boxes when doing smaller bullets 25acp or 32acp more like one box all but two (25 acp ) molds are single or double cavity. This morning did a box of 41mag bullets and melted 30 pounds of wheel weights.

Sig556r
01-16-2019, 12:20 PM
2 batches of Lee 20lb pot is the most I do in one sitting. Yields depend on mold.
I also water-quench/towel-dry/air-dry/PC/bake/water-quench in between.
Sizing is for another time.

toallmy
01-16-2019, 12:42 PM
I checked my coffee can situation , I need to get to it , and cast some 45s , 38s , and 9s while it's cold out side . I have been playing around with cast boolits in rifles this year in smaller amounts of 100--3 or 400 hundred at a time .
In the cold months I generally stock up cast handgun boolits , and it's gotten cold now . Plus I have neglected making empty brass with my hand guns this fall .

Lee S. Forsberg
01-16-2019, 02:49 PM
I cast when I'm low on something. My pot holds 22lb so I cast it almost dry with whatever mold I'm using. What is in the pile when I'm done is the product for that session. When casting 230 gr about 620 bullets. When casting 60 gr about 2400 bullets.

GregLaROCHE
01-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Ain't it the truth though...my wife wonders why I run my fingers though a pile of cast bullets and smile...I tell her it's the same reason I put my hands on my hips and smile after mowing the lawn!

It’s the next best thing to running your fingers through gold coins.

KCSO
01-16-2019, 05:14 PM
You know I never kept count. We cast for the PD with 2 H and G gang moulds and ran through 40-50 pounds of lead at a session, usually with one casting and one size and lube with a star outfit. Had the moulds hung by springs from the ceiling of the shop.

EMC45
01-16-2019, 08:57 PM
I run 2 2 cavity molds at a time and stop after about 30lbs of accumulation.

Kylongrifle32
01-16-2019, 09:31 PM
I enjoy casting a do own a Lyman 65 pot but usually sit in the driveway and do more casting over a propane burner and ladle pour using 1 and 2 cavity molds. I can get out about 600 to 800 before my back gives out. A couple of months ago I got my first 6 cavity mold a Lee 356-125-RN set down and started ladle pouring and got into a groove and the boolits fell like rain by the time I stopped I had about 2500 poured. Lubed 100 up and load and shot them the next day and they weren't worth squat in my pistol. 8 inch groups at 20 yards with 40 percent key holing Arrrggghhh!!!

smilin jack
01-16-2019, 09:54 PM
I usually cast once or twice a year with my Lee 10 pound bottom pour electric furnace.
I purchased a lot of wheel weight lead muffins several years ago from an older gentleman that was doing an estate sale before he passed. It was a good deal for me and hunting partner. We got 6 steel buckets (5 gallon) and several tin cookie tins for $85 asking price. The buckets were full so took two of us with a 4 foot 2X4 to load and unload from my truck.
I cast 40 pounds of 230gr 0.452" using a Lee 6 hole mold and 10 pounds of 0.429" 265gr using a Lee 2 hole mold. Also made 10 pounds of 0.562" RB for the musket.
It was about 4 hours of casting with bathroom breaks when pot was reheating, and a few more hours after lunch. It was a long day. I weighed the cast boolits cold on the bathroom scales after all done. Bottom line, too long a day.
It's time to cast more now. I just got two new molds (0.312" Lee 2 hole and a 0.338" Lee 2 hole)
Working up 223Rem range pickup brass now. Lots to go before jack rabbits in the high desert (east side of Oregon) gets going. Lee mold 55gr and powder coating.
It's great to be retired.
Dave
Western Oregon

bob208
01-17-2019, 10:17 AM
I was laid up with a broke leg. I ran 2 number cans of .358429. single cavity mold.

dkonrai
01-17-2019, 12:14 PM
I got a deal on a solid 150 pound block of lead. Found a pot big enough for the lead. Fired up the turkey fryer.
Not sure how many were cast, but ended up with a pile of 9, 357, 40 and 44s.
Last time I will do that.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

trapper9260
01-17-2019, 01:35 PM
I cast a 10lb pot and that is all I can handle As for how many it depends on the boolit I cast. But the pot is all I do at a time and call it good. When I am low on some I cast a pot.

JBinMN
01-17-2019, 09:53 PM

I was busy yesterday afternoon trying to get the handicap deal to hang on my rear view mirror since they "lost" my paperwork, so I was unable to respond sooner.

Below is a pic of the spoon, the spoon on my "furnace & casting table" & along with that a pic of the whole caboodle, furnace table & all. I took them this afternoon. The whole set up is messy since I have just put everything just inside the big garage door & left it since I cast last. I will have to look when I post the pics, but the "hot pots" that I use are off to the right of the furnace/casting table, sitting on a metal folding TV tray. with some other stuff.

Anyway, Here are the pics( I have no idea why they are 90 degrees off from how I took them. This forum has the problem, not me & I don't feel like messing around trying to get them right. It Ticks me off that I would have to do it...):
234189 234190

Hope that helps out.

sw282
01-17-2019, 09:59 PM
We’ve all been at 10 boolits... keep on truckin...

l did ''15'' once ;-)

Walks
01-17-2019, 10:53 PM
I have a Lyman Mag 20 & a RCBS Pro-Melt. 30yrs ago I would set each one on each end of a picnic table. With a Hot Plate in between. I cast using 3 4cav Lyman molds. When one pot emptied down to the last inch of Lead, I would put the molds onto the hot plate. I then refilled the "empty" pot. I would then start casting from the full pot.
I was in my early thirties and was young and eager.
Switching back and forth form pot to pot, I cast about 17,000 bullets in a Looong very tiring day. I ended up with about 15,500 odd bullets, a bit less then 9% rejects.

I was so sore & exhausted, that I called in sick for the next 2 days

These days I can cast 2 pots of lead using 4-6 cavity molds. I get 550-650 bullets after culling.

I ain't what I used to be.