PDA

View Full Version : Do you count your bullets after casting and sorting?

Namerifrats
01-14-2019, 12:23 AM
My process has been to cast, then go through and sort good vs remelts. Then I would arrange the bullets by type in rows of 10 to know many I made that session. Usually anywhere from 450-1,100 bullets each time I cast. I usually cast 4-6 different types of bullets during a session. Has gotten kind of tedious and time consuming counting after sorting, etc. Thinking of trying to do it by weight now to save time and get a close approx number. Honestly, not even sure why I do it, lol. Does anybody else bother? I just like to keep my plastic jugs full of ready to load bullets. So after I count them they just end up in trays waiting to be sized/lubed and finally into those containers with hundreds more that I don't really know how many are in there. Waste of time? Lol

44Blam
01-14-2019, 12:29 AM
I count them after casting. If it is air drop, after I let them cool; water drop, after they dry off.
I count *roughly* by 10s so it is just an estimate.

MT Gianni
01-14-2019, 12:30 AM
I count pours and assume 10% culls. I cast enough to load what I plan for or 500 to store.

Tripplebeards
01-14-2019, 12:36 AM
No, I usually start out with 10 or 20 lbs of alloy so I do the math after casting.

WHITETAIL
01-14-2019, 12:36 AM
I try to cast as needed.
If I plan on loading a cal.
I count my empty brass and then
make that many plus another 50 or
so for culling.
That way I can make it through the
winter, with out going stur crazy!!!![smilie=b:

Walks
01-14-2019, 12:47 AM
I cast from 2-4 different molds at a time. Quench and spread out to dry. Next day I cull, sort & count. Store in boxes of 500.

I load my pistol ammo into boxes of 50 or 100rds. I load in batches of 300-500. So I wanna know if I have enough bullets to load a given batch.

Peregrine
01-14-2019, 12:49 AM
God no, weigh them!

If you weigh the sorted bullets you cast that session on a postal scale, and you know how much a bullet from that batch weighs (I tend to weigh 5 or so from each batch and write down the results and the calculated SD and ED) then you can very accurately determine how many bullets you have in that batch.

I'm sure as heck not counting out hundreds or thousands of bullets after a session or weekend of casting, but do like to know how many I produced to figure out my reject rate (weighing the bullets I sorted as well of course) and other assorted things.

You have a scale anyways to calculate the correct proportions of different alloys to produce the desired one for those particular boolits, right?

Dieselhorses
01-14-2019, 12:51 AM
I'm somewhat OCD so I count all mine. I like to powder coat so I do this not too long after I cast it's easier to size. After sizing I label the jar/box "qty., cal., weight, type and sized.

BrutalAB
01-14-2019, 12:57 AM
I count by 50s.

Take the plastic/styrofoam bin that comes in a box of factory and every time you fill up every hole in the bin its 50, put in ziplock baggies every two trays and it's really simple and fast to know how many you got put away.

Bigslug
01-14-2019, 01:16 AM
Depends. . .

Tumble lube - rough guess based on approximate weight and what was in the pot.

Lube-sized - gets staged after lube in the compartments of plastic 50rd. Federal/Speer .45 ACP ammo box liners, so the math is real easy from there.

Texas by God
01-14-2019, 01:29 AM
I don't count them. I cast with 3 different moulds at once, throw the cooled culls into the pot for next time. I size them and lube them and load them till I run out of brass or boolits.

Taterhead
01-14-2019, 01:38 AM
Heck no. Which is weird, since my nature is to be OCD about all things reloading.

I cast until the pile of fresh boolits tells me, "it's about enough for now." Then they get PC'd, sized then into a plastic storage container.

Only when I drain the storage container down to the last 100 or so do I count to know how many primers to load into the APS strips.

JBinMN
01-14-2019, 02:18 AM
Not usually. I learned early on what a pile of approx. 100-150 , a pile of approx. 300-500, and piles that are approx. larger than 500+ look like for each caliber I cast, so I do not see the need to count them each casting session. I am not looking for exact amounts of shootable boolits when I cast. I just want to reach an approximate number of what type I am casting, so I estimate "high" knowing there will be "culls" in with the good ones.

So, for pistol boolits, I usually only count them when preparing to load them, with pan lubed, or to tumble lube them, before loading. I cull them as I go, the ones getting pan lubed are culled before going into the pans, then again right before loading( pan lubed ones) in case I missed one that was a "cull", or, I cull as I am counting the boolits to tumble lube before loading. The culls go into the "re-cast" container, and the rest get loaded.

Rifle boolits are not counted either, until time to load, but so far, they are all pan lubed & culling is also done during each step, like the pistol boolits that are pan lubed.

Rcmaveric
01-14-2019, 02:27 AM
I use weight. I have containers that hold 20lbs of bullets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dkonrai
01-14-2019, 02:36 AM
I don't count them. I cast with 3 different moulds at once, throw the cooled culls into the pot for next time. I size them and lube them and load them till I run out of brass or boolits.Same here. If I see the Cb are getting low. I fire up the kettle and pour 100 or so pounds. I will cast for many calibers at a time. Then powder coat them.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

kevin c
01-14-2019, 02:44 AM
They get counted when I load them, usually by the hundred, as that is one primer tube's worth.

I do get a rough estimate from the amount of alloy used up in a session (# of ingots of a given weight range, and known # of casts per pound), and a better estimate when I weigh the casts to HiTek them. The coated and baked casts get stored in buckets of about a thousand, based on weight.

Petrol & Powder
01-14-2019, 07:39 AM
I don't count them while casting. The bullets get cast, rejects are culled and tossed back in the pot. When done the bullets are stored as-cast.

For my standard loads I don't even count them when sizing or loading. The completed rounds just go into ammo cans. I gave up on 50 round ammo boxes years ago, it serves no purpose.

Now when loading some of my non-standard loads, I'll count the brass I intend to load and size/lube just enough bullets to load those casings. I prefer to store the un-loaded bullets in their as cast un-lubed state.

OS OK
01-14-2019, 08:01 AM
Heck naw...don't be counting them thangs...they are like jelly beans. Just keep an eye on the jars and keep them reasonably full and they will always be there when you want them.
Also, this way...you don't have to cast first each time to load a specific round...it's like a candy store, walk up to the jars and get your candy for the day.
Simple huh?

https://i.imgur.com/lIPRXXQ.jpg

daloper
01-14-2019, 08:03 AM
I don't count them. I have a bunch of the clear mixed nuts containers. I cast and after they cool I PC and put in the container. When it is full I figure that I have enough for now and move on to the next casting needed.

lightman
01-14-2019, 08:49 AM
No, I don't count but it would be pretty easy if I did. I use mostly cigar boxes for storage and stack them neatly inside. Simple math to count the rows and multiply by the number in a row. I save the backer boards off of note pads for using to separate the layers. I'll eventually have to find something else since paper note pads are about a thing of the past.

I also don't sort or cull as a separate operation. What I do is cull the obvious rejects when casting, again when sizing and again when loading. I actually have a really low number of rejects that make it to the sizer and even fewer that get loaded. The lube makes for good flux when remelting! I guess that overall I have a pretty good casting technique because once the mold is up to temp and throws good bullets I seldom get a bad one.

RU shooter
01-14-2019, 08:53 AM
When I have the cool whip bowl filled up that's good enough for the day ! If I run out well darn I have to cast up some more .

bosterr
01-14-2019, 09:24 AM
I have a digital bathroom scale. I weigh my total production in a light weight container like a plastic coffee can. Then I weigh a boolit or two down to the tenth of a grain and divide that into 7000 grains per pound of lead to get boolits per pound. Then multiply total production weigh by boolits per pound to get total boolits. My bathroom scale is probably accurate to a pound plus or minus but it's good enough for me.

Cherokee
01-14-2019, 09:37 AM
After casting, I count (calculate) them by weight using the typical weight of 10 or so bullets. They get counted when I run them thru the Star sizer, then stored in cardboard boxes until needed. Always like to have a ready supply of the bullets I use much. I load in batches of 500-1000 rounds for handguns. Rifle batches are smaller.

GregLaROCHE
01-14-2019, 09:39 AM
I cull as much as possible when casting. That way they go right back into it the pot. I don’t count. I weigh and calculate number, when I have done an especially big batch, just to feel good about it. Later I will sort by weight, some or all and store or cull accordingly.

LenH
01-14-2019, 10:02 AM
I used to count them but when you us an 8 cavity mold there is a pile of bullets in short order. I usually cast to pots full or close to it, somewhere in the neighborhood
of 40 pounds. I usually cull as I am sizing and lubing. On the other hand if I am using a 2 cavity mold and am providing those for my brother I will count those just so I know
how many are in the container. Any other time I don't count any bullets. I usually put the bullets in quart containers from a food service supplier and weigh the container
and make a rough estimate.

upnorthwis
01-14-2019, 10:11 AM
I keep my Boolits/Lb. chart next to the pot for a rough calculation.
55 gr. = 127
115 = 61
140 = 50
160 = 44
200 = 35
350 = 20
420 = 17
535 = 13
The sad part was the first time I calculated how few of those 535's/lb. I get.

SteveK
01-14-2019, 10:15 AM
I do this for pleasure only, not profit, so... I only count 'em after sizing (the 2d to last QC checkpoint) because the quantity just doesn't matter until I'm ready to load 'em up in which case I better have at least as many cases and primers on hand too. Anything not counted get remelted anyway.

toallmy
01-14-2019, 10:20 AM
I don't count , I would probably lose track anyway !

trapper9260
01-14-2019, 10:30 AM
I do not count them,I just sort them out for the bad ones to re do and then go from there. I cast by the 10lbs bottom pour pot and if I know I use alot of one I will do the whole pot and call it good till I need more. If I do not use alot of one then I will go with about half a pot and then finish off with another. Depend on the mood I am in.That or else I just do the whole pot of that one and call it good and just sort for bad ones and then store and use as needed.

ioon44
01-14-2019, 10:42 AM
I Hi-Tek coat so I cast by weight and keep in groups of 5.5 lbs to go on each tray and bake after drying. It is easy to do the math and know about how many bullets I have. I do most culling as I cast, I have a couple of Accurate NLG molds and get very few culls.

45-70 Chevroner
01-14-2019, 10:54 AM
When I first started (many years ago) I counted every thing after culling. After a few years it got old, there must be a better way. I started saving tin cans from the kitchen of all sizes. Those little tomato sauce cans held, if my memory serves me right, 100 158gr 357 boolits. The green been cans held 100 250gr 44 boolits when filled to within an inch of the top. The tin can thing got to where they were taking up to much space. Any more I just put all my boolits in clear plastic jars that nuts and candy come in from Sams Club or Costco.

ShooterAZ
01-14-2019, 11:03 AM
I never count either. I just keep casting until either the pot is empty, my sprue bucket is full, or I'm getting tired. I sort as I cast, and throw the culls into the sprue bucket. This in turn goes back into the pot.

TimD
01-14-2019, 11:47 AM
I don’t count when casting. I store them as cast in large containers and size & lube just before loading. If I needed a count I would weigh them.

dragon813gt
01-14-2019, 01:00 PM
I cast until I’m tired. Then cull the rejects and move everything into an ammo can. I then count when sizing as I don’t like storing lubed bullets. Had some large messes in the ammo cans because of it, even w/ harder lubes. I always size a couple extra and if they aren’t used they go back into the pot to be recast the next round. Primer packs w/ some random number of primers in them is a pet peeve of mine. I count to make sure this doesn’t happen.

Wm Cook
01-14-2019, 01:05 PM
I would say that so much depends on the caliber/weight and what you expect has everything to do with how critical you are with counting, sorting and weighing. Kind of like comparing Cowboy Action quality bullets to 1000 yard competition.

I'm finishing up a 22 K Hornet sub sonic load this week with the expectation of sub MOA accuracy. The attached is an example of the level I had to take this to. Everything high lighted in yellow was discarded. Everything else was shot in groups based on the actual weight +/- 0. On these small cal's I've found multiple two cavity molds that throw two different weights. In this case the Lyman 225438 has a .4 difference between the near and far cavity. Thus in this case not only did I have to sort by weight but also what cavity it came from. Just by 2 cents worth.

Just as a side note. Weigh 20 bullets on your new RCBS scale (powder drop version). Come back in an hour and weight them again. My best guess is that the scale is about +/- .1 which is what I think it is advertised at. Not sure about the guarantee. It possible may be +/- .2 grain. That said I think the electronic powder drop scale and the pots that are PID controlled to keep the same temperature were two of the greatest investments I have ever made. Thanks, Bill.

gnostic
01-14-2019, 01:17 PM
I count bullets by the coffee can, I keep score of how much I shoot by the boxes of primers. Since I started shooting USPSA, I go through ammo faster than I can load it. In the summer, I can shoot up 1500 rounds a week if I shoot 5 days. Obviously, if you're trying to dump the magazine as quick as you can, you'll shoot up a lot of ammo.

Rizzo
01-14-2019, 02:26 PM
I cast, then cull, then count.
I count by weight.
I weigh 10 bullets then divide that value into the total weight of the good bullets to get the final count.
Close enough.
I also sometimes count (weigh) the culls as well.
Why? Because I try to log all of my casting activities and I get an idea of the percentage of culls and also the total of good bullets.
This also tells me if I am improving on my casting technique by monitoring my cull percentages at each cast.
I also log the date so I can periodically check how the BHN changes.
Probably a bit anal, but I enjoy it.

GLynn41
01-14-2019, 03:18 PM
I try to get an Idea of how many I have cast. I will look as casting and then I will look at the cooled bullets and sorta count but that all

afish4570
01-14-2019, 03:23 PM
I do count....after casting. I take the bath room scale an weight my self then the bullets cast. Subtract to get weight of bullets cast. Take 3 or 4 bullets weight them on my digital scale. That average is divided into 7000 grs. giving you the amt/pound. Multiply the pounds of bullets times the amt/pound......The total production less your mistakes or poor quality boolits (I guesstimate). afish4570

dverna
01-14-2019, 03:25 PM
I have never counted them, but I have not cast rifle bullets in years.

Pistol bullets are all done in bulk....sometimes I do not even count loaded rounds...just but them in a box (like the ones they use for commercial bullets) or a .30 cal ammo can. I normally have a couple of thousand on hand so a count is not something I need. I have weighted bullets and divided my unit weight to get a rough numbers a few times...if I am selling or trading bullets.

robg
01-14-2019, 03:26 PM
Cast till I've had enough ,count them after lubing and sizing.

ghh3rd
01-14-2019, 03:43 PM
I weigh the pile and divide boolit weight into it to get within a close estimate.

retread
01-14-2019, 03:57 PM
God no, weigh them!

If you weigh the sorted bullets you cast that session on a postal scale, and you know how much a bullet from that batch weighs (I tend to weigh 5 or so from each batch and write down the results and the calculated SD and ED) then you can very accurately determine how many bullets you have in that batch.

I'm sure as heck not counting out hundreds or thousands of bullets after a session or weekend of casting, but do like to know how many I produced to figure out my reject rate (weighing the bullets I sorted as well of course) and other assorted things.

You have a scale anyways to calculate the correct proportions of different alloys to produce the desired one for those particular boolits, right?

My method and attitude! ^^^^^^

Namerifrats
01-15-2019, 02:30 AM
I used a postal scale today to count up the last batch I cast. Thought about doing it that way before, just wondered what others did or if they counted at all. I had everything weighed and figured in about 5 minutes. Sure beat grouping 1,560 bullets into groups of ten for counting. Lol Didn't think I had quite that many. Had about 300 more 223 bullets than I figured. They don't look like much in the bottom on my water bucket. Always ends up being a lot more than I figured.

lightman
01-15-2019, 11:31 AM
I load my pistol ammo in bulk, with a pet load, and I don't know the amount. About 3.5K of 45's, prolly about the same in 38, 357, 40, 44's. The loaded rounds are in an ammo can and the empty go into another can. Before the loaded ones are used up I start casting again. I did the samething with 308's and 223's when I was shooting an M1-A and and an AR more. Counting probably would be good because I have misjudged the amounts a few times. If I'm short I have to stop and cast a few more. If I have too many I either store them away or remelt them. I'm working on getting better organized. I really am! I'm prepping 44's as we speak and I plan to save the empty primer boxes as a counting method.

Papercidal
01-15-2019, 01:46 PM
I have a device on my main press that counts cycles of the press and gives statistics on rounds loaded rounds per hour and so on. I got curious one day at what the actual output rate was on the sizer with bullet feeder so I rigged up a micro switch up to the bullet feed which gives me a count of bullets sized.

megasupermagnum
01-15-2019, 08:10 PM
I could cast 2000 more bullets in the time it takes you to count your original 1000 bullets. I don't even take the time to weigh them. I'm glad I don't have OCD, life is too short.

lightman
01-15-2019, 08:17 PM
The member that I bought my Star sizer from had a mechanical counter rigged up on the sizer that he kept. I wish I had taken a picture of it.