PDA

View Full Version : A method for testing handgun bullets in deer

andrew375
10-09-2008, 06:30 AM
A method for testing handgun bullets in deer (http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0702/0702107.pdf)

Abstract:
Using service handguns to test bullets in deer is problematic because of velocity loss with range and accuracy giving
sub-optimal shot placement. An alternate method is presented using a scoped muzzleloader shooting saboted
handgun bullets to allow precise (within 2” in many cases) shot placement for studying terminal ballistics in a living
target. Deer are baited to a known range and path obstructions are used to place the deer broadside to the shooter.
Muzzleloading powder charges provide a combination of muzzle velocity and velocity loss due to air resistance for a
given ballistic coefficient that produce impact velocities corresponding to typical pistol velocities. With readily
available sabots, this approach allows for testing of terminal ballistics of .355, .357, .40, .429, .45, and .458 caliber
bullets with two muzzleloaders (.45 and .50 caliber). Examples are described demonstrating the usefulness of testing
handgun bullets in deer for acoustic shooting event reconstruction, understanding tissue damage effects, and
comparing relative incapacitation of different loads.
Originally submitted 13 December 2006. Revised version submitted 31 July 2007.

jhalcott
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Quite an interesting read. I would like to see a few more Pictures of the set up That was used to bait the deer.

missionary5155
10-10-2008, 06:26 AM
For the rest of us we can just DOWN load a particular boolit to impact velocity... for a test.
Or just use the softest possible mix (forget leading.. you are gonna fire just ONE shot right ) and know the boolit Will expand when fired from reasonable handgun range. I have used the .375 Supermag and .41 mag and on whitetail and cannot say I need anymore testing.. we consumed the results.