PDA

View Full Version : Stupid cold

labradigger1
01-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Had a cold for last 4 or 5 days, hasn’t been terrible until yesterday and today, I think it’s turning into bronchitis. So far about 10 pulls from the bottle of crown royal in the last 1/2 hr. Coughing finally subsiding. Would be nice to get some sleep. It’s really rare for me to get sick but with the wife working in the er it happens. She’s had it for close to 2 weeks now. People have no manners or common sense, they come into the er wheezing and hacking and don’t cover their mouth.

Hossfly
01-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Been taking a lot of vitamin (D) for last 2 years, 5,000 units per day and wow colds almost non existent.

poppy42
01-10-2019, 07:59 PM
My favorite cure for a cold is Black Russians. Lots and lots of Black Russians! That’s vodka and Kahlúa for those that are unfamiliar with that cocktail. Doesn’t really do anything to get rid of the cold but if you drink enough of them you really don’t care what illness you have !

labradigger1
01-10-2019, 08:22 PM
Been taking a lot of vitamin (D) for last 2 years, 5,000 units per day and wow colds almost non existent.

Really rare if I sick, maybe maybe one cold a year. Usually turns into bronchitis since I’m a smoker.
I know, I stupid for smoking. I’ve tried to quit so many times. Usually make it about 9-10 days.

labradigger1
01-10-2019, 08:23 PM
My favorite cure for a cold is Black Russians. Lots and lots of Black Russians! That’s vodka and Kahlúa for those that are unfamiliar with that cocktail. Doesn’t really do anything to get rid of the cold but if you drink enough of them you really don’t care what illness you have !
Kind of where I’m at with the crown. It is helping with the cough through.

Conditor22
01-10-2019, 08:31 PM
you need to add some lemon and honey to help cut and coat.

bikerbeans
01-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Try the bedpost cure. Get a fifth of your favorite hootch, put your hat on the bedpost, get in bed and start sippin'. When you see two hats your cold will be the least of your problems.

BB

labradigger1
01-10-2019, 09:22 PM
you need to add some lemon and honey to help cut and coat.
I’ve been sucking on honey lemon cough drops between sips

labradigger1
01-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Try the bedpost cure. Get a fifth of your favorite hootch, put your hat on the bedpost, get in bed and start sippin'. When you see two hats your cold will be the least of your problems.

BB

Pass, haven’t been drunk since I was 17 many years ago. I usually drink till I start to fell the effects the quit. I did keep the bottle by the bed last night for coughs.

mold maker
01-10-2019, 09:33 PM
My MIL made a brew with white lighten and rock candy. It didn't do anything to stop the tickle, but you didn't cough again out of fear.

rockrat
01-10-2019, 09:39 PM
Grandads was rye whiskey and rock candy. Usually one shot was all he took. and that was only every 3-4 years he took a shot of the stuff. Didn't get a cold for some reason.

labradigger1
01-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Just had some hot crown, honey and lemon juice. Wow that was bad

Winger Ed.
01-10-2019, 10:50 PM
People have no manners or common sense, they come into the er wheezing and hacking and don’t cover their mouth.
Hope ya get better, something I've noticed:
That's a big problem with hospitals in general, there's so many sick people wandering around in them.

lightman
01-10-2019, 11:34 PM
I feel for you and hope you get better. I did something to my back and can't hardly stand up right now.

trails4u
01-11-2019, 12:45 AM
Just had some hot crown, honey and lemon juice. Wow that was bad

My wife is a firm, FIRM, believer in the hot toddy. She is NOT a bourbon drinker, but we keep a bottle of Jack strictly for those purposes. Seems to work, at least for her. As for the rest of the bourbon in the house....well that's mine and a completely different story.:guntootsmiley:

Texas by God
01-13-2019, 12:18 PM

BB
That one dates back to Ben Franklin at least!

GregLaROCHE
01-13-2019, 12:49 PM
A good second part after several hot toddies is to go to bed with a lot of extra blankets and sweat it out.

labradigger1
01-13-2019, 12:56 PM
In a strange twist of fate,
Went out on the porch that night to let the dogs out. Coughed so hard I passed out and the youngest son heard me fall. They thought I was drunk and passed out. I stayed up for another hour or so then went to bed.
When I woke up at 4:30 am the next morning I had double vision. Bad double vision.
Went to the er, all checked out ok for stroke etc.
Went to Optamologist next. 3 hrs later looks like blunt head trauma. Damaged 4th cranial nerve palsy. Long story short, waiting for prizm glasses now. Dr says should clear up on 3-4 months as the 4th nerve heals at 1mm a day and it’s the longest one in my head.
Gotta say this stinks! Not only still sick but now cant see either. Bought a new to me lathe and got is set up in place of my old one and bought 4 tool chests to update my old ones and just can’t do anything with them. Looking at this iPad with one eye closed so it’s not doubled.

Hickory
01-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Several years ago I developed pneumonia but thought it was a bad cold, I coughed so hard I passed out fell against the bookcase and broke my back.
Every time I coughed I though I was going to die.
I laid on the floor for several hours before I got into a position to where the pain was manageable and another hour to get into bed.
When my wife got home from work and got me to the hospital I was told I had pneumonia and a broken back.
Wasn't a very good week.

square butte
01-13-2019, 01:18 PM
Just coming off off one that ended in a bad cough. I was diligent and lucky though. Mostly only a five day affair. I used lots of chicken soup and much raw garlic - And lots of lemon juice with honey and fresh ginger juice. Couldn't stop coughing for 3 days and nights though.

tinsnips
01-13-2019, 01:33 PM
As I sit here reading posts I have got the same thing going on. Feel like **** . Worst part is I have to go back to work someone is out of heat right now.

mold maker
01-13-2019, 07:49 PM
When I was a kid everyone had a cold and the major complaint was a week with a snotty nose. Now, it seems the nose drainage flows south and affects the throat and then the lungs for at least a week each and two trips to the Doc.
Are colds worse or are we weaker?

owejia
01-14-2019, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=mold maker;4549236]When I was a kid everyone had a cold and the major complaint was a week with a snotty nose. Now, it seems the nose drainage flows south and affects the throat and then the lungs for at least a week each and two trips to the Doc.
Are colds worse or are we weaker?
Older bodies don't fight virus's and bacterial infections like younger bodies.

popper
01-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Older bodies don't fight virus's and bacterial infections like younger bodies. True plus we didn't have AC, were outside more, didn't fly all the time, no Malls and fewer people who didn't take care of themselves. Parent didn't get sick much either.

Winger Ed.
01-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Older bodies don't fight virus's and bacterial infections like younger bodies. True plus we didn't have AC, were outside more, didn't fly all the time, no Malls and fewer people who didn't take care of themselves. Parent didn't get sick much either.
Good point. I used to work in a open warehouse and never got sick. The wife would go from one climate controlled place to another.
The house, to the car, to the office, and back. When the weather was at one extreme or the other, she couldn't stay outside 20 minutes
without getting sick from the wet/cold or the heat.

Walks
01-14-2019, 05:06 PM
Last time I had pneumonia was Dec '94 / Jan '95. was Xmas time, worked every day from Black Friday until Xmas eve, 12-14hrs a day. on Xmas eve I got home 7pm, looked at Family, waved & passed out. Spent until Jan 2nd in Hospital, home in bed 2 weeks, went back to work on Feb 1st. Blasted Dr. told my Wife I might have died.

Let your imagination run wild on that one, it still won't paint a Big Enough Picture. The wrath of a woman scorned, is nothing compared to the
WRATH of a Wife whose husband almost works himself to death.