PDA

View Full Version : New Accurate 36-187H for .38 S&W Victory Model with large cylinder throats

Outpost75
01-09-2019, 02:49 PM
The 0.51" length nose with long .360" parallel section north of the crimp groove fills S&W cylinder throats which run .360"+ in diameter, provides extra guidance from the rifling lands and exploits the K-frame cylinder length. Cartridge overall length is 1.285" with only 0.275" seating depth into the .775" long .38 S&W case to keep pressures moderate.

The 0.25" meplat diameter provides good small game and SD performance. The heavier 187-grain bullet weight provides correct point of impact for British and Aussie WW2 Victory Models regulated for Mk2 service ammunition.

This bullet when assembled into .38 S&W brass also fits the cylinder lengths of Colt Police Positive and Webley & Scott Mk4 revolvers, the S&W Model 32 Terrier and Model 33 Regulation Police.

Do not exceed 2.1 grains of Bullseye in Colt Banker's Special, New Police and Police Positive or in British Webley, Albion and Enfield topbreak service revolvers and pre-WW2 S&W I-frame. OK to use up to 2.5 grains of Bullseye in the S&W Victory, Post-1957 Models 32 and 33 and Ruger India Contract Police Service Six.

Also a good light-weight small game bullet in the .35/.30-30 with 8 grains of Bullseye.

shooting on a shoestring
01-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Ohhhh my.
Looks like you’ve done your homework.
Did you have a hand in the design?

I’ve passed on a couple of slick 38 S&Ws telling myself I didn’t need to get into that caliber considering the handful of 38 Specials I run. But that’s a good looking design. Hmmm.

I wonder if it would be bad form to get the mould, then shop for a gun to fit it?

There’s a Taylor’s SAA clone in 357 in my possession that has egg shaped throats. The long dimension is near .360”. They would probably clean up round with a .360 or .361 chucking reamer. Hmmm. Use 38 Special brass, load for about 1000 fps....I’d bet that would shoot good.

Then if I had that mould.....I’d just need 38 S&W loading dies....maybe a Star lubrisizer die (or maybe run as cast), or tumble lube...then an order of 38 S&W brass from Starline (or just cut back a few hundred Special cases).... then if I landed a Terrier I’d be in business.

Outpost75
01-09-2019, 09:15 PM
Ohhhh my.
Looks like you’ve done your homework.
Did you have a hand in the design?

I’ve passed on a couple of slick 38 S&Ws telling myself I didn’t need to get into that caliber considering the handful of 38 Specials I run. But that’s a good looking design. Hmmm.

I wonder if it would be bad form to get the mould, then shop for a gun to fit it?

There’s a Taylor’s SAA clone in 357 in my possession that has egg shaped throats. The long dimension is near .360”. They would probably clean up round with a .360 or .361 chucking reamer. Hmmm. Use 38 Special brass, load for about 1000 fps....I’d bet that would shoot good.

Then if I had that mould.....I’d just need 38 S&W loading dies....maybe a Star lubrisizer die (or maybe run as cast), or tumble lube...then an order of 38 S&W brass from Starline (or just cut back a few hundred Special cases).... then if I landed a Terrier I’d be in business.

Tom Ellis and I did this together, I fed him the chamber dimensions and my general parameters and this is what he came up with. Two heads are always better than one.

A heavier version of earlier 36-159H which was designed around the S&W .38 Special Hand Ejector.

Best .38 S&W dies I've found are the RCBS Cowboy set, but you can make do with a 9x18 MAK die set and .38 Special shell holder, then get a separate roll-crimp die.