PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk grip change

leadeye
10-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I have always liked the way my old Euroarms 1860 pointed. The grip just fit perfectly so I decided to try and make a grip for my Blackhawk that was similar.

Grip making has been a humbling experience. I lengthened the frame by 1/2 inch and reshaped it. The metal work was easier than the wood but still a learning experience as I did everything by eye. For wood I used some walnut that came from a neighbors tree that fell down in a storm rather than something expensive as this was my first try at this.

After shooting the gun some I figured I would try again on the wood but here it is. It gives you the control of the Bisley but keeps the traditional look.

Heavy lead
10-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Nice, I've always favored the bisley grip, bet not necessarily the look of it. I'd like to try it.
Good job.

targetshootr
10-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Nice job. I've been looking for someone to make one like on a Freedom Arms.

MtGun44
10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Looks real nice. I'll bet that is a LOT of work.

Bill

leadeye
10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Nice, I've always favored the bisley grip, bet not necessarily the look of it. I'd like to try it.
Good job.

The metal work involved brazing a 1/2 inch brass bar to the bottom of a Qualite brass grip and then grinding off the forward part of the curve to give it a straighter front. The brass frame and the bar change the balance of the Blackhawk to right at the trigger guard.

Making the wood pieces was tough as I did not have a tool that would cut straight. I am looking for a standing belt sander and a band saw. before I make another pair.

McLintock
10-09-2008, 03:43 PM
You're almost duplicating the old Long Frame Super Blackhawk gripframe with that length. It was made in the very early days of the Super (1959-60) or so, but discontinued fairly quickly. The regular Super grip is longer than the Blackhawk and the Long Frame was even longer still, so you can say you've got a "Long Frame Blackhawk" now. Nice job and very innovative. The better shaped grips you're thinking about will really top it off.
McLintock