PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 clone question

Remiel
01-07-2019, 01:57 AM
My buddy got this in his shop to reblue per the customer request, and the bluing won't take. The rest of the guns in the batch came out perfect but somthing seems off with this receiver. It appears to be a 10/22 but it's made of a cast alloy that is similar to steel(its attracts a magnet) but we don't know much more than that. It was originally painted fde. I'm wondering if it's a sintered metal or similar to the old Winchester's. Any ideas or info would be appreciated and here is a picture I took.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190107/3ca19479c4f3820c93b3b57abcc83962.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

pietro
01-07-2019, 12:51 PM

It's my understanding that the Kingston Armory (now defunct) receivers were CNC-machined steel castings, but with an unknown steel.

Since bluing some steels is problematic, KA evidently parkerized them to work around the problem.

I'd just coat the receiver (Oxy-Blu, Cerakote, etc) and be done with it.

TNsailorman
01-07-2019, 01:00 PM
What he said.

Remiel
01-07-2019, 05:44 PM

It's my understanding that the Kingston Armory (now defunct) receivers were CNC-machined steel castings, but with an unknown steel.

Since bluing some steels is problematic, KA evidently parkerized them to work around the problem.

I'd just coat the receiver (Oxy-Blu, Cerakote, etc) and be done with it.

.I will let my buddy know, the owner wants it blued and my buddy explained that if it goes in the tank again it will cost more and he doesn't want to do that to the owner if the end result is the same.

Xringshooter
01-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Since it didn't take the bluing the first time it probably won't take it with any subsequent dippings. I would degrease, abrasive blast, degrease again and coat and cure with Cerakote in Midnight Blue or SOCOM Blue.

Remiel
01-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Since it didn't take the bluing the first time it probably won't take it with any subsequent dippings. I would degrease, abrasive blast, degrease again and coat and cure with Cerakote in Midnight Blue or SOCOM Blue.That's what my buddy tried to tell the owner but he is adamant on a blued finish. I haven't checked back since the initial tell us so I don't know if the owner opted for a different method or requested the second attempt.