PDA

View Full Version : Neck sizer die?????

badgeredd
10-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Some of you will recall that I built a 35/30-30 not long ago. I am still waiting for my C-H dies for it, so in the interim I started playing with ways to get reloading done. I neck size the shells with a carbide 357 Mag sizing die, and seat the boolit with a 356 Winny die. It works but the neck sizing takes a while cause I have to watch the case carefully so I only neck size without pushing the shoulder back. Well I thought that maybe I could find a neck sizing die that would do the job without quite as much hassle. Since it IS a wildcat, (I think) I'll need a universal type of sizer with an appropriate length, if one is available.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO...I am asking for suggestions and experience with the available neck sizing dies. The one thing that I am concerned with is that few cartridges have as long of a neck as the 35/30-30 so I am wondering if there is a die out there I can use successfully to size the full length (or at least the vast majority) of the neck.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated since I have never owned a true neck sizing die. [smilie=1: It is okay if you read this as too cheap. :-D:-D

Thanks in advance.

Edd

Scrounger
10-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Why not just continue using the .357 die? Use a short length of 3/4 inch PVC slipped over the case and ram to limit their travel to the amount of sizing you want.

Buckshot
10-09-2008, 01:56 AM
................Howze about a 35 Whelen size die? Just turn the bottom of the die off to the length needed. If you pay the rtn shipping, I'll turn the die length down for you.

................Buckshot

Tom W.
10-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Check and see what Hornady offers. They have caliber specific, rather than cartridge specific neck sizing dies.

oneokie
10-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Have a 35 Remington sizer die? OAL of the case is shorter than the 30-30, just set up so that the shell holder does not bump the bottom of the die.

My 2¢

missionary5155
10-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Cheap ??? you are just being Practicle and Thrifty ! Long live the person who adapts and modifies and alters to keep moving forward... But I leave TRUTH as is.

Larry Gibson
10-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Have a 35 Remington sizer die? OAL of the case is shorter than the 30-30, just set up so that the shell holder does not bump the bottom of the die.

My 2¢

Absolutely correct and the way to go. Suggest a Redding NS die.

Larry Gibson

badgeredd
10-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Buckshot,
Thanks for the offer. I do have an old set of Whelen dies that would work fine for the mod. I'll take them in to work and modify them tomorrow. Good idea!

Scrounger,
So simple to use the PVC and that is exactly the kind of idea that would save me the hassle and speed up things. Thanks.

Tom W.,
Have you used one of the dies? I had thought seriously about getting one since I have 5 different 35s I could use it with.

In reference to the 35 Rem dies, I don't have a 35 Rem yet so I don't have the dies. BUT :twisted: I could get the dies and then I'd have to get a rifle for them. [smilie=1:

missionary5155,
Thanks...glad someone else sees it the way I intended. The more I save the more I can spend on new toys!!!!!:-D:-D

And if anyone else has had experience with the caliber specific neck sizer dies, please chime in. I really want to know what people think of them.

Edd