PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rem 700 action/trigger?

rockrat
01-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Just picked up a Rem 700 that looks like someone spilled a can of 7up/coke on the back of the action. Back of the action is sticky/coated and when you pull the trigger , it takes a moment for the sear to move and the gun to fire!! Couldn't use the bolt release to get the bolt out, as it was stuck, had to use a screwdriver.

Been thinking about bringing it in the house and putting it under hot water in the laundry sink, then blowing out the trigger/action and hitting it with a hot hair dryer to dry it. Opinions?

Any other ideas? Too cold here to do much outside.

BK7saum
01-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Do you have an ultrasonic cleaner? I'd pull the trigger out and put it in an ultrasonic bath of detergent and water, then blow it out and maybe re-bath it with solvent, blow out and rinse with naphtha or lighter fluid.

Budzilla 19
01-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Unbed the action from the stock, can of carb cleaner, apply liberally to trigger and action, blow out with compressed air, oil it up good, check function!!

Houndog
01-05-2019, 10:13 PM
Bubba's favorite "gun oil" wd40 will gum up like that too! I've cleaned up several with this problem. I'd disassemble the entire action/bolt and trigger and clean it with carb cleaner followed with an ultrasonic cleaning! Make sure EVERYTHING is squeeky clean AND COMPLETELY DRY before reassembly. Very lightly oil all parts, just a film, not wet, with a good quality gun oil and reassemble. Pay particular attention to the firing pin bore in the bolt! It is prone to rust

EMC45
01-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Bubba's favorite "gun oil" wd40 will gum up like that too! I've cleaned up several with this problem. I'd disassemble the entire action/bolt and trigger and clean it with carb cleaner followed with an ultrasonic cleaning! Make sure EVERYTHING is squeeky clean AND COMPLETELY DRY before reassembly. Very lightly oil all parts, just a film, not wet, with a good quality gun oil and reassemble. Pay particular attention to the firing pin bore in the bolt! It is prone to rust

Yup. WD is the WORST lube for a firearm. I have worked on guns that had a honey colored "varnish" all over them and it was WD that had hardened up.

lefty o
01-05-2019, 10:46 PM
the classic fix for cleaning a remingturd trigger has been to just flush it out with lighter fluid. will leave a very fine lubricant behind when it evaporates, but wont gum up like other cures.

rockrat
01-06-2019, 12:46 AM
Carb cleaner was my other thought. The bolt actually looks OK. Maybe it was out of the action when the stuff got spilled. Will go grab a can from the barn and try tomorrow, if not snowing.

Thanks

tdoor4570
01-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Rockrat how much of that white stuff you got? we got about 3" but still coming down.

rockrat
01-06-2019, 12:49 PM
We have 6"-7" on the ground, but only 1/2" so far today

Gtek
01-06-2019, 01:21 PM
After cleaning, 5W- synthetic motor oil and a >100 PSI compressor, pour in and on and blow through and out, repeat blow.