PDA

View Full Version : A Canadian Classic!!!--just kidding

BPJONES
01-05-2019, 05:11 PM
I recently picked this up because it was cheap and "just for the heck of it". It is a Cooey model 84 in 12 gauge. For those that don't know, Cooey was a Canadian firearms icon from 1919 to 1961 when they sold to Winchester. Pretty much every Canadian farm house back in the day had a Cooey or two by the door. Anyhow, this ole girl has been converted to shoot black powder. I don't know if the adapter is a factory made item or a "custom" made item. It doesn't look like the current ones for sale. I have not tried to remove it. It takes up pretty much all of the chamber. I see the adapters on the market now say for shot only. Well, it's obvious by the sights and the scope mounting rail that this ole girl has likely had its share of slugs or balls or whatever shot down the pipe with black powder. Who knows, maybe it was even shot with smokeless powder. I don't imagine it was any too accurate. The bore is nice and there are no bulges. The choke has been opened to pretty much cylinder. I have a fair collection of various Cooey guns so I thought it would be "cool" to add this "unique" gun to the fray. Since it is of low value, I've been thinking of doing some cosmetic enhancements, just to play around and to add "more character". Maybe a white buttplate spacer or recoil pad, make a horn pistol grip cap, swivels plus I have some varying thickness sheets of copper laying around so maybe I'll make up some designs and practice inletting them into the stock. Maybe some stippling on the forearm because I have no checkering tools. She'll be worthless to anyone else when finished but who cares!
https://i.imgur.com/pPwf8AN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mGEmT3x.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Im3nV4N.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yIMOrFc.jpg

Der Gebirgsjager
01-05-2019, 05:29 PM
That's an interesting conversion. Appears both simple and effective. I guess it works with a shotgun primer? Is it easily removed, or more or less permanent?

BPJONES
01-05-2019, 05:59 PM
It works with a 209 primer. I know the adapters you buy now can be pulled out or tapped out from the bore. I can't pull this one out but I have not tried tapping it out with a rod.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Well, just curious. Probably best to leave it in place. If it works, you can't argue with success!

wgr
01-05-2019, 07:53 PM
I have two that were converted just like that

Peregrine
01-05-2019, 08:19 PM
I'm familiar with the 84's but I haven't seen a conversion like that before, very neat.

RustyReel
01-06-2019, 07:52 AM
Very neat piece indeed. I'm guessing that after the Winchester purchase that model became the Winchester Model 37 as many of those are marked Made in Canada. Thanks for sharing!

sharps4590
01-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Don't underestimate the accuracy of a "smooth rifle". I had my clocked cleaned often enough by guys shooting Trade Guns, without a rear sight, and I was shooting a rifle. I bet you'll be surprised at how good that ol' piece will shoot.

One thing I have always wondered about smooth bores and "shot versus bullet or round ball" is, say in a 16 bore, what the difference is between a 1 ounce load of shot or a 1 ounce round ball regarding pressures generated? Without checking I am going to assume a 12 bore round ball will weigh approximately 1 1/8 ounce, the standard load for a 12 bore. Is there a difference if shooting a round ball of that same weight?

BPJONES
01-06-2019, 11:17 AM
Very neat piece indeed. I'm guessing that after the Winchester purchase that model became the Winchester Model 37 as many of those are marked Made in Canada. Thanks for sharing!

After the Winchester take over, the model 84 became the model 840. Some of the early Winchester 840's had walnut stocks and forged steel receivers, trigger guards and steel forearm spacers, likely because they were using up old stock from the Cooey purchase. But it didn't take Winchester long before the walnut became birch and castings took the place of steel and plastic trigger guards and forearm spacers became the norm. After the model 840, Winchester came out with the model 370 and then the 37A, not to be confused with the original Winchester model 37.

BPJONES
01-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Don't underestimate the accuracy of a "smooth rifle". I had my clocked cleaned often enough by guys shooting Trade Guns, without a rear sight, and I was shooting a rifle. I bet you'll be surprised at how good that ol' piece will shoot.

One thing I have always wondered about smooth bores and "shot versus bullet or round ball" is, say in a 16 bore, what the difference is between a 1 ounce load of shot or a 1 ounce round ball regarding pressures generated? Without checking I am going to assume a 12 bore round ball will weigh approximately 1 1/8 ounce, the standard load for a 12 bore. Is there a difference if shooting a round ball of that same weight?

I would think there would be a difference in pressures although I have no idea of how much. I know with smokeless shotgun shells, pressures can be different depending on the type of powder used and/or the type of wad used and depending on how tight of a seal such wads provided. So I would think with the patching used with a round ball, compared to the wadding and over shot cards used when using shot, there would be a difference in pressures even with black powder. Of course I could be wrong.

waksupi
01-06-2019, 01:12 PM
The sights are soldered on?

BPJONES
01-06-2019, 03:05 PM
The sights are soldered on?

The scope rail and both sights are screwed on.

sharps4590
01-07-2019, 07:26 AM
But if you change nothing but the type of projectile, shot to solid, would it be safe? I understand the Geman "Nicth fer Kugel" and the British "Not for Ball" but if the choke is more open or the gun not so marked seems to me a fella could do it. I haven't tried it but I'd like to....if I can satisfy myself it's going to be ok.

I get the BP thing, been playing with that stuff seriously for 40+ years in ML's and cartridge rifles and guns. Ran a bunch of 500 BPE rounds out the muzzles of my double on Saturday. After 20 years that thing is still a hoot!

BPJONES
01-07-2019, 09:26 AM
The gun should be safe if switching to a solid projectile. (I'm talking this particular gun). The choke has been opened up. I know back in the day, there were countless slugs fired through these old Cooeys by hunters and farmers and that was with full choke. So I know the gun can handle a solid projectile. And I'm guessing this ole girl had a number of solid projectiles shot down her bore since being converted. So far I can see it is no worse for wear.

01-07-2019, 09:29 AM
It might not be collector gun, but it looks to be in good shape. Lots of folks would be happy to have such a gun. It yours so, of course, adorn it as you see fit. Bella Twin used her .22 Cooey to good effect, setting a world record with only .22 long ammo.

OverMax
01-08-2019, 10:15 AM
That's a bit different. A 100 yr old smooth bore inline. "I like it"
Curious? Is the breech plate base threaded or a cold to hot force fit?

BPJONES
01-08-2019, 01:31 PM
That's a bit different. A 100 yr old smooth bore inline. "I like it"
Curious? Is the breech plate base threaded or a cold to hot force fit?

Actually this gun is no older than 1948 as that is when Cooey started producing shotguns. It looks to be force fit.

Hawks Feather
01-08-2019, 02:45 PM
I had a 410 Cooey when I was a kid. I got it when it came in on a trade at the hardware store where I worked. Nice little gun, but I sold it when I started college.

BPJONES
01-08-2019, 03:13 PM
The Cooey .410's don't last long when they come up for sale, especially the original model 84. 28 gauge model 84 Cooeys are gone in the blink of an eye if one comes up for sale.

arcticap
01-08-2019, 03:28 PM
I decide to look up info. about Cooey and found this article titled: COOEY: THE HISTORY OF CANADA’S GUNMAKER --->>> https://calibremag.ca/cooey-canadas-gunmaker/

I never realized the connections between Cooey and Lakefield .22's which are sold by Savage.

I have a Savage .22 bolt action rifle that was made by Lakefield and now I have a sense of its history.
And it has a receiver that's built like a tank.

The last Cooey designed model was a .22 semi-auto rifle that still lives on as the Savage model 64B which is still being produced by Lakefield.
So the Cooey legend continues.....
The article is a good read.

BPJONES
01-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Funny you mention that article as I just read it again yesterday. About 8 years back I was trying to find some information on a Cooey that I have. It took some effort but I finally managed to strike it lucky and was put in touch with Cooey's granddaughter. She provided me with some valuable family history on the Cooey empire. We are still in touch.

longbow
01-12-2019, 01:58 PM
I have 5 Cooey 12 ga. shotguns with one cut down for a slug gun. I've got a bit of a soft spot (between my ears?) for Cooey's. Simple and dependable.

Most of mine ar eplain old Cooey's but I have one with walnut stock and colour case hardened receiver. I didn't know they came in "fancy" version.

If the choke has been opened up you may be able to muzzleload plastic shotcups and round balls. Depending on muzzle diameter and shotcup 0.662" to 0.678" should be good fits. I cloth patch 0.662" RB's into shotcups in hulls for my cartridge 12 ga. and they shoot well. 0.678" RB's fit well is several standard plastic shotcups.

Alternately, a donut wad pushed part way in then a round ball with over shot wad should work well too.

I'd also look at a hollow base slug like the Lyman Foster (though I hate my Lyman Foster mould) over card and lubed felt wads. If soft lead it may obturate to fill the bore like a Minnie ball. If too small then you could get it machined with driving bands so suit the muzzle. If there is still some choke that slug will squeeze down no problem.

Looks like a fun project!

Longbow

BPJONES
01-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Hi longbow. The original Cooey shotguns, which were the model 84, all had walnut stocks and steel, case colored receivers. On most though, the case coloring has worn away. After Winchester took over, they started putting on plain hardwood stocks.
The muzzles on my gun measure about .715.

longbow
01-13-2019, 01:24 PM
I'll have to get all mine out of the safe and look. I was pretty sure I had a couple of 84's that had the plain hardwood (birch?) stocks, cast trigger guards and plastic forearm spacers but maybe they are 840's.

I have the one that is "fancy". All the rest are plain Jane. One had a steel forearm spacer I know because I took it off to put it on my slug gun after the plastic one broke. I am pretty sure the stock is plain hardwood but... I'll check.

You've got me curious now! I like my old Cooey's. I'm almost sorry I cut one down as a slug gun but it has served me well. My first shotgun was a used 12 ga. Winchester Cooey 840 which I had for many years. That one got sold or given away, can't recall, then I bought another one several years later. I wound up cutting that one down for a slug gun. Later I found most of a used Pachmayr Power Pac screw in choke system but missing the muzzle brake. I made a muzzle brake in high school machine shop and had a screw in choke system on the Cooey back in the 70's. I traded that one to a friend after several years.

I was Cooeyless for many years but no more!

Longbow

PS: Cooeys are a Canadian classic!

danmat
01-14-2019, 12:22 PM
Brings back memories, my first shotgun bought from a friend in high school was Cooey made in Canada by Winchester stamped on it. It was a 12ga. with 36 inch barrel, 3in. mag. no pad. It killed on one end and maimed on the other lol, I shot a lot of ducks with it. Were these sold in the states, or was it brought to the Texas gulf coast by someone?

SteveK
01-14-2019, 12:25 PM
That's brilliant!

BPJONES
01-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Brings back memories, my first shotgun bought from a friend in high school was Cooey made in Canada by Winchester stamped on it. It was a 12ga. with 36 inch barrel, 3in. mag. no pad. It killed on one end and maimed on the other lol, I shot a lot of ducks with it. Were these sold in the states, or was it brought to the Texas gulf coast by someone?

I would almost bet that someone took it to Texas. I know Cooey exported firearms to Australia but I actually never heard of them being exported to the US.