PDA

View Full Version : SW 2 pc barrel system

Catpop
01-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Has anyone ever seen the factory wrench used to install the new SW 2 pc barrels?
Any pictures?
Know the torque the factory uses to install?
Just curious.
Thanks for any info!

Catshooter
01-06-2019, 01:59 AM
Catpop,

I can't lead you to a pic, but I have seen one. The wrench looks like the inside of the bore does. Slips right in. Don't know the torque settings either, sorry.

Cat

reddog81
01-06-2019, 11:59 AM
There’s a thread over on The High Road forum right on this exact topic. Someone posted a photo from an old S&W manual showing how the factory does it. It’s in the revolver subforum. It’s the first post right now.

They use a wrench that slides into the barrel, interfaces with the rifling, and torque it to 20 foot lbs I believe.

Petrol & Powder
01-06-2019, 12:25 PM
I'm sure S&W will never let that tool out of their possession but I wonder if a copy could be made?

I'm not sure how one would go about re-creating that tool but it could probably be done.

reddog81
01-06-2019, 02:02 PM
It’d be simple to recreate the tool. However there aren’t commercially available barrels or shrouds so I’m not sure what the point would be.

Catshooter
01-07-2019, 02:10 AM
And actually they've been using the exact same idea for a loooooooooooooong time. I've seen/held one that was used by the factory to install .38 S&W barrels in the Terrier revolvers. And that's a while back.

Cat