PDA

View Full Version : Bolt too easy to open

Sean357
01-04-2019, 11:05 PM
I recently got a Mossberg Patriot 30-06. Great shooter, a little too light but handy. Problem I have is that the bolt is way too easy to unlock. Chamber a round, safety on, sling it on my shoulder, 9 times out of ten it will be mostly to all the way rotated open when I unshoulder it. Is there a way to tighten the lockup to prevent this or is this considered good? I've already lost one round somewhere in the woods and don't like to think of losing more. And only loading a round when I see a deer is not an option, that's what safety's are for. Besides it would still unlock and rotate open in that case anyway. Any info would be appreciated on how any of you have dealt with this kind of issue. Heck I might just be being way too picky. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Texas by God
01-04-2019, 11:17 PM
This is the result of the move away from bolt locking safeties. Maybe just neck size your reloads to add a little resistance to the bolt lift. I prefer- and all my current bolt actions have- bolt locking two position safeties.

Hannibal
01-04-2019, 11:22 PM
I bet I can guess where this thread is going to go . . . .

45workhorse
01-04-2019, 11:50 PM
Till you figure out a permanent solution, try slinging it on the other shoulder.
I wouldn't like loosing any brass either!

Sean357
01-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Yeah I've been debating drilling the stock for some type of resistance, ball type or maybe adding epoxy to the poly stock to make a hump the bolt handle needs to pass to unlock.
Didn't even find out about bolt locking safety's till I started looking up this issue. But if this rifle doesn't work well with cast then that's what I'll end up looking for.
And it's usually when I switch shoulders that I see it's unlocked! Ha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bazoo
01-05-2019, 12:43 AM
Might try degreasing the lugs. If they were almost dry it might help just enough.

45workhorse
01-05-2019, 09:15 PM
oh well:mrgreen:

country gent
01-05-2019, 09:21 PM
You might try a slightly heavier spring in the magazine well, the added tension on the underside of the bolt may help to keep it closed.

Gtek
01-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Not familiar with rifle but went and looked at picture. What about disassembling bolt and clean all oil from shroud and internal bolt threads and put the heaviest grease you can find.

JBinMN
01-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Have you contacted Mossberg & asked them about it yet?

https://www.mossberg.com/contact-us/ < has a built in email.

And this info:
Corporate Headquarters
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
7 Grasso Avenue
North Haven, CT 06473

Tel: (203) 230-5300 | 8:00am-4:30pm Eastern
Fax: (203) 230-5420

Service Inquiries:
U.S. (800) 363-3555 | 8:00am-4:30pm Eastern
Canada: (519) 509-4867 | Grech Outdoors
(778)-426-3884| Murray Charlton Enterprises Ltd.
Law Enforcement: (203) 230-5355 | 8:00am-4:30pm Eastern

And this link for Product Service & Repair » https://www.mossberg.com/service//

G'Luck!

Wolfer
01-06-2019, 03:48 PM
My main hunting buddy has a new mossberg 243 that he hunted with this year. Bolt coming out of battery was a common problem.

Hope y’all come up with a fix for this.

redhawk0
01-06-2019, 03:54 PM
I wonder if a smith could make a detent in the side of the bolt and put a ball/spring in the receiver to help keep pressure on the bolt when it's closed.

just a thought.

redhawk

Wolfer
01-06-2019, 04:06 PM
I wonder if a smith could make a detent in the side of the bolt and put a ball/spring in the receiver to help keep pressure on the bolt when it's closed.

just a thought

redhawk

This is probably the best solution. However if you have to pay someone your bargain rifle isn’t a bargain anymore.

redhawk0
01-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Good point, Wolfer. Maybe just a rubber band then :smile:

redhawk

clodhopper
01-06-2019, 04:18 PM
Not familiar with rifle but went and looked at picture. What about disassembling bolt and clean all oil from shroud and internal bolt threads and put the heaviest grease you can find.

Good idea, but not a good plan for a hunting rifle in Montana, sometimes the weather is cool enough to freeze liquid oil and stick your firing pin.

waksupi
01-07-2019, 04:26 PM
Good idea, but not a good plan for a hunting rifle in Montana, sometimes the weather is cool enough to freeze liquid oil and stick your firing pin.

Absolutely. For cold weather, I remove every bit of lubrication from the bolt.

toallmy
01-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Would a fire formed piece of brass from that rifle still allow the bolt to be opened by mistake or two easy . Try opening and closing the bolt with a casing fired in the rifle but not resized , out of curiosity . If that helps you could just partially neck size . It's worth a try .
Like In post # 2 Tex By God mentioned this it might help .

drfireman
02-28-2019, 02:53 PM
Unless Mossberg could correct it, I would tie a rubber band to front of trigger guard, then to the bolt. Snug enough to keep from opening, but you could still operate if needed.

5Shot
02-28-2019, 03:20 PM
Would a fire formed piece of brass from that rifle still allow the bolt to be opened by mistake or two easy . Try opening and closing the bolt with a casing fired in the rifle but not resized , out of curiosity . If that helps you could just partially neck size . It's worth a try .
Like In post # 2 Tex By God mentioned this it might help .

My thought too. Maybe chamber is on the long side and the ammo is a bit short.

pietro
02-28-2019, 05:13 PM
I've been debating drilling the stock for some type of resistance, ball type or maybe adding epoxy to the poly stock to make a hump the bolt handle needs to pass to unlock.

Since it would be flexible enough, I would install a rubber band to hold the bolt in battery, and keep a few backups in a pocket in case the elastic broke or went walkabout when the bolt was cycled.

SvenLindquist
03-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Sell it and buy a T/C Compass. Better rifle same $.

rbuck351
03-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Carry it slung muzzle down???

EDG
03-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Carry it with the chamber empty and hold the trigger as you close the bolt. The mainspring and cocking cam will hold the bolt closed.

Texas by God
03-01-2019, 05:18 PM
I just looked at one at the local gun store and I see the problem that you described. I would not like that either. If you take it out of the stock and look at the thumb safety there may be a way to add a rod behind the stock to lock the bolt handle down when on safe. I'd trade it on one that does lock the bolt, probably.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nicholst55
03-01-2019, 10:04 PM

just a thought.

redhawk

A much better idea than running the locking lugs bone dry. We apply a very light coat of grease to the back of the locking lugs to prevent them from galling. Not sure that I would personally keep a rifle that the bolt wouldn't stay locked/closed on, myself.

Texas by God
03-02-2019, 12:02 AM
Or a pressure pad on the wood stock model perhaps.
It's a lawyer design, a gun that unloads itself when you're not looking[emoji58]

Sean357
03-02-2019, 01:32 PM
Totally forgot about this gun till I started getting notifications yesterday. Vehicles issues kept me distracted.
Grabbed a handfull of fired brass and checked the action with them, looks like neck sizing only would help with the issue a bit. Offers a little more resistance to opening the bolt. And with wolfers friend and Texas both seeing the same issue I know it's not just me being crazy.
So I'll try adding an epoxy bump and use neck sized brass and see what that does. Rubber band idea would work but if it comes down to that I'll just sell it and get something else. Those Thompsons do look really nice.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Sean357
03-02-2019, 01:33 PM
Also thanks for all the input everyone.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

17nut
03-02-2019, 07:08 PM

Many moons ago i spoke with some Swedes from Lapland.
They had a pint jar filled with kero just beside the door and dipped their bolts just as they went out into the cold.
Never had a weak hit or sticky bolt.

Goatwhiskers
03-03-2019, 09:52 AM
As Rbuck said, sling muzzle down. Takes a minute to get used to, but the bolt never opens. GW

Texas by God
03-03-2019, 05:07 PM
As Rbuck said, sling muzzle down. Takes a minute to get used to, but the bolt never opens. GWPlus it's quick to get in a hasty sling loop that way and shoot better.