PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg's First Pistol in One Hundred Years

jmort
01-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Mossberg is moving into a crowded space with a 19 oz six/seven shot single stack 9mm. Not sure how it is a success, unless it is reliable as it gets and is really inexpensive. Looks nice enough. Take-down is simple.
We shall see.

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mc1sc/

oldhenry
01-04-2019, 11:49 AM
I'm interested.

From the '50's I have several Mossbergs that have given excellent service: 3 152A, 2 142A & a 151K. I bought my wife one of the 142As when we were dating for her 16th. birthday (I was a real romantic). Montgomery Ward sold it then for $29.00. The 142As were selling then for $23.00 (I didn't buy one then.....I should have). The 142As that I have now cost $250 & $200 15 years ago (real cream puffs).

Some folks turn up their nose @ 'em, but I like 'em.

Henry

Petrol & Powder
01-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Yet another Glock knock-off.

Polymer framed, striker fired, Browning short recoil system that locks the barrel to the slide via a squared ejection port.

Mossberg might have put their name on it but I wouldn't get too excited.

JBinMN
01-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Thanks for sharing news of the new Mossberg pistol. I might be interested more, if it were a larger handgun.

For me, with my hands, when ever I see "subcompact", it usually means it would not fit my hands to where I would be comfortable firing it, so I just move on. I just don't like the feel of only my middle finger & ring finger on the grip, & my little finger feeling like there is no place on the handgun. Or, even worse, that it is half on, half off.

So, no appeal for this guy. Others might like that style, but it is not for me.

It will be interesting to see if this Mossberg handgun competes well in a market that, IMO, is pretty saturated with "subcompact" handguns. I think they may have done better if they also came out with a larger version. It remains to be seen if they will do well with this one.

Thanks again though, for sharing.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Certainly an interesting holster. Looks like they built in a hole for every projection on the pistol.

FergusonTO35
01-04-2019, 01:12 PM
The plastic mags don't look very durable to me.

TNsailorman
01-04-2019, 01:22 PM
I might be interested but when a company doesn't have a listed MFG price, I get dis-interested in a hurry. I know that is a marketing ploy but I just don't like to play games.

JBinMN
01-04-2019, 01:39 PM
I might be interested but when a company doesn't have a listed MFG price, I get dis-interested in a hurry. I know that is a marketing ploy but I just don't like to play games.

I found it when looking around. That info is in the "MODELS" tab at the top of the page in the link in the OP. Then you have to go to the right & click on the "Details" for each model.

Here is the basic model "Details" page & the MSRP is to the right , down the page a little bit.
$425.00

https://www.mossberg.com/product/mc1sc-89001/

You will have to follow the method I described to go look at the other models Details & get the prices for them if it interests ya enough....

G'Luck!
:)

Peregrine
01-04-2019, 01:53 PM
They seem to have the "safe take down system" as a prominant selling point to placate the people who insist that glocks are unsafe because you have to pull the trigger to dissemble them. Those people are dumb.

Mossberg makes great shotguns, but outside of that their offerings are nothing to get excited about. I guess at this point every major gun manufacturer need to have their own brand of glock.

TNsailorman
01-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Thanks JB, I found it following your lead. james

JBinMN
01-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Thanks JB, I found it following your lead. james

You are Welcome! Always glad to be of some help when I can!
:drinks:

Even when I don't think I care much for some particular product. LOL
;)

ThomR
01-04-2019, 03:03 PM
The plastic mags don't look very durable to me.

It uses Glock 43 mags. They are steel lined.

Patrick L
01-04-2019, 03:43 PM
I can't comment on these new offerings, but Mossberg guns have always performed as advertised, but we're always considered "cheap". Perhaps "inexpensive" would be a better term. Their old .22s we're tackdrivers. I have my grandfather's old single shot from the 30s. Amazing little rifle.

HangFireW8
01-04-2019, 04:07 PM
First repeating handgun maybe, but not first pistol in a hundred years. They had a single shot hand cannon a few years back.

jmort
01-04-2019, 05:34 PM
“Those people are dumb.”

Do they have a low I.Q.???
Or do they have their own opinion???

FergusonTO35
01-04-2019, 09:08 PM
It uses Glock 43 mags. They are steel lined.

Didn't know that. On the Mossberg website it shows translucent mags that remind me of the miserable 15 rounders Marlin used to make. They were about as durable as a 90 year old''s hip on a skating rink!

Texas by God
01-04-2019, 09:13 PM
For you old cats- wasn't the 4 barrel "Brownie" offered less than a century ago? The S&W Shield has taken this slot at my house already but hooray for Mossberg.

scattershot
01-04-2019, 10:01 PM
For the same money or slightly less, I’ll take the Shield.

Peregrine
01-04-2019, 10:46 PM
“Those people are dumb.”

Do they have a low I.Q.???
Or do they have their own opinion???

You shouldn't be taking apart guns or handling them at all if you're not capable of convincing yourself they're unloaded.
If it's their opinion that after checking that a gun is unloaded, dry firing it is somehow unsafe there's something missing there.

HangFireW8
01-04-2019, 10:57 PM
Pulling triggers is required to do some gunsmithing or even cleaning on many guns.

Nonetheless it is a selling point for large police departments, who have a statistically predictable number of negligent discharges every year.

Drm50
01-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Just the name Mossburg is enough to insure me I'm not interested. While all the other American gun
companies were on a race to the bottom, Mossberg was there waiting on them. Who would have thought that a bottom drawer company would end up close to number 1 in shotgun sales. Remington
had it with 870 and cut QC until they lost it.

woodbutcher
01-05-2019, 12:19 AM
:smile: Many years ago.I had a 352K Mossberg.Had the flip down nylon forearm.Darn good shooter too.Like a fool I let it get away from me.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

megasupermagnum
01-05-2019, 12:36 AM
Just the name Mossburg is enough to insure me I'm not interested. While all the other American gun
companies were on a race to the bottom, Mossberg was there waiting on them. Who would have thought that a bottom drawer company would end up close to number 1 in shotgun sales. Remington
had it with 870 and cut QC until they lost it.

Mossberg always has, and continues to build the best pump action shotgun in the world, for just about 60 years now. The 870 was a fine shotgun, although it should not be any surprise Mossberg came out on top. I have zero interest in a subcompact anything, I wish Mossberg made a full size handgun.

The best thing for Remington would be to go out of business and be picked up by somebody who actually wants to make guns and money. I'm bitter about it for the one reason they took H&R with them.

Sean357
01-05-2019, 12:46 AM
I like the looks of it. Makes me think an SR9c and PPQ had a baby. But good on them, I've always liked every Mossberg I've had with little to no complaints on them. Intoduces more competition and hopefully more innovation in the market. I'll look forward to the reviews coming out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

winelover
01-05-2019, 08:20 AM
I'll fondle it, if and when, my LGS gets one in stock. Add $100 for the model with Truglo tritium night sights. Be curious as to what the real world price is........

Winelover

Rick Hodges
01-05-2019, 09:26 AM
Good looking pistol. I want to see it in action before I get too excited.

scattershot
01-05-2019, 12:19 PM
I'll fondle it, if and when, my LGS gets one in stock. Add $100 for the model with Truglo tritium night sights. Be curious as to what the real world price is........

Winelover

So far, looks like around $325.00. https://gun.deals/product/mossberg-mc1sc-9mm-34-blued-7rd-32489

rintinglen
01-05-2019, 03:17 PM
Before I get too excited, I want to hear from the beta testers out there. I went on my last pony ride when Remington came out with the R-51 which was wonderful when hand-assembled but ragged when mass produced.

Patrick L
01-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Actually, now that I think about it didn't Mossberg market or maybe import a single action revolver back in the 80s? I'm recalling "Abilene" or something like that??

376Steyr
01-05-2019, 03:25 PM
These guys seem to be impressed with it: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/01/03/tfbtv-the-new-mossberg-mc1-single-stack-9mm-pistol/
Short version: It's a "copy" of the Glock 43. It takes Glock 43 magazines, and it undercuts the price of a genuine Glock 43 by a substantial amount. Whether this is good or bad probably depends how you feel about the Glock 43 in the first place.

GARD72977
01-05-2019, 03:41 PM
I like the looks of it.

jmort
01-05-2019, 04:24 PM
I did not know it took G43 mags
Another plus
We shall see, but it is looking good at this very early stage

LUCKYDAWG13
01-05-2019, 04:50 PM
Think I'm going to pass on this

oldhenry
01-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Actually, now that I think about it didn't Mossberg market or maybe import a single action revolver back in the 80s? I'm recalling "Abilene" or something like that??

You are correct.

Henry

FergusonTO35
01-05-2019, 11:45 PM
My local shop has the Shield 9mm for around $300.00 every day. Regardless of how good the new Mossberg is, I just don't see many people choosing it over the Shield for less money.

respiegel
01-06-2019, 12:03 AM
It is an interesting choice to say the least, are they hoping the land some first time buyers on name recognition? Seems Ruger, Kel Tec, Taurus, Glock, and S&W all beat them to the punch by about a decade.

HangFireW8
01-06-2019, 08:32 PM
They may get some Maryland buyers who will never forget S&W sent lobbyists here to lobby for anti-gun legislation, then hid behind a fake change of ownership, financed by a bond fund owned by the old owners.

Bmi48219
01-06-2019, 10:12 PM
I agree Mossberg made a durable & reliable pump shotgun, not a Charles Daly but then Charles Daly isn't the same Charles Daly any more.
Don't see any info on where it's made. IMO it's a national shame that US firearms manufacturers import firearms from the 3rd world and put their logo on them.
I also agree the sub-compact pistol market is pretty competitive. Maybe they're just trying to get a slice of the ever expanding concealed-carry sales boom.

FergusonTO35
01-06-2019, 11:51 PM
Made in Texas from what I can tell.

Tackleberry41
01-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Question is, who actually makes the gun? Hard to know anymore with companies farming stuff out to everybody and their brother.

FergusonTO35
01-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Mossberg has had a plant in Eagle Pass, Texas for a long time now. I believe that is where this pistol comes from. It is where my 464 was made.

jonp
01-10-2019, 07:29 PM
I can't think of a reason to buy this pistol at this price point considering all of the options out there.

Does Mossberg think they can compete with SW or Springfield for that matter given the headstart they have? I'm perplexed as to what Mossberg is thinking putting this out there at this time.

I do find a couple of things interesting about it. The decision to go with a flat trigger is novel. The takedown method would appeal to those that are leary about pulling the trigger to break the gun down. The grip design being partial instead of full textured and the option of tritium sights indicates a standard sight cut in the slide for putting your preferred sights on it. None of these entice me to buy one to replace my single stack Shield or any of the other plastic 9's I have.

HangFireW8
01-12-2019, 11:29 AM
I can't think of a reason to buy this pistol at this price point considering all of the options out there.
Good point. We may see the street price come down very quickly, and if it is low enough, it will sell.

Outpost75
01-12-2019, 12:18 PM
For you old cats- wasn't the 4 barrel "Brownie" offered less than a century ago? The S&W Shield has taken this slot at my house already but hooray for Mossberg.

Mossberg Brownie was produced from 1920-1932 and sold for $5 postpaid.

FergusonTO35
01-12-2019, 03:40 PM
If they get the real world price to under $300.00 and it doesn't have any major problems, I could see this pistol being very competitive with Taurus. Being able to use Glock 43 mags is a huge plus. If I got an absolute steal of a deal on one, I would be willing to try it.

Thumbcocker
01-13-2019, 10:30 AM
I saw a video on this gun. Interesting design. Not sure about the decision to jump into a crowded field but I'm not an MBA. I have a soft spot for Mossburg from using a bolt action .410 as a squirrel gun in my youth. I wish them well.

FergusonTO35
01-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Anybody seen the internals of it yet? I would like to see how Glockish it really is.

jonp
01-13-2019, 07:07 PM
I saw a video on this gun. Interesting design. Not sure about the decision to jump into a crowded field but I'm not an MBA. I have a soft spot for Mossburg from using a bolt action .410 as a squirrel gun in my youth. I wish them well.

I shot a lot of rabbits and partridge with a bolt Mossberg 410 when I was a kid.

crankycalico
01-13-2019, 07:36 PM
You shouldn't be taking apart guns or handling them at all if you're not capable of convincing yourself they're unloaded.
If it's their opinion that after checking that a gun is unloaded, dry firing it is somehow unsafe there's something missing there.

almost what, 8 out of every 10 fire arms related accident happened because and ill quote, "I knew it was unloaded so I don't know how I shot my tv doing snap shooting drills"

Texas by God
01-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Mossberg Brownie was produced from 1920-1932 and sold for $5 postpaid.Gracias Gato Viejo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
01-13-2019, 10:20 PM
KY Gun Company made a video about it, including a field strip. Looks like the trigger mech is straight up Glock. This may be a good thing, copy something that has been proven for decades instead of start over with a new design and many accompanying problems. If the price gets under $300.00, I could see people who want a Glockish pistol on the cheap buying these.

jonp
01-14-2019, 05:40 AM
Being able to use Glock 43 mags is a huge plus.

I watched a video by the company about the pistol and read their website. No mention of them using Glock Mags. Where did this information come from?

osteodoc08
01-14-2019, 06:55 AM
the aesthetics are pleasing to my eye. I wouldn’t mind trying one out but I don’t see it replacing my smith M&P or XDS or even 1911 for carry. Perhaps they’re wanting to slot in somewhere between Taurus and the others price wise.

FergusonTO35
01-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Being able to use Glock 43 mags is a huge plus.

I watched a video by the company about the pistol and read their website. No mention of them using Glock Mags. Where did this information come from?

Most of the online reviews mention this fact. I don't think Mossy is going to advertise it!