PDA

View Full Version : Ed's red.

BigAlofPa.
01-03-2019, 11:53 PM
I just got into using Ed's red. Only have done after an outing cleaning. Very happy with it so far. What are the limitations of it? Such has lead fouling copper build up ect ect.

01-04-2019, 12:41 AM
It does general cleaning very well. Lead & copper might need additional efforts. I use a "Lead Away" cloth for serious lead and janitorial strength ammonia for copper. Ed's Red cleans and lubes, but I wouldn't use it for long term rust preventative.

Boolit_Head
01-04-2019, 01:38 AM
I really like it as a general cleaner. The oil version of it is very good too.

Nueces
01-04-2019, 06:58 AM
My first experience with Ed's Red was some years ago in an attack on revolvers defended by years of lead accumulation. I quickly found that an initial soak of a few minutes appeared to get right under the lead and allow it's easy removal with brushes and aluminum screen bore patches.

Since then, it's been my only bore cleaner and gun wipe. The lanolin fraction makes it a fine finger print repellant and rust preventive.

I shoot lead almost exclusively, so have little experience with using ER on copper fouling.

B R Shooter
01-04-2019, 07:03 AM
I shoot jacketed bullets in BR comp. A shooter friend gave me a recipe for making bore cleaner using the old GM Top Engine cleaner as the base, then added a certain amount of kroil and 28% ammonia. Can't complain since I've been using it for a couple decades. So, why couldn't you add some ammonia to the mix to make it work on copper too?

Gregorious
01-04-2019, 07:08 AM
Have been using Ed's Red as my "do-all" cleaner for many years. Works well on handguns and shotguns. Powder residue, plastic wad fouling, lead fouling yield to it. I use more specific cleaners for copper- JB bore paste and Sweet's 7.62.

BigAlofPa.
01-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

redhawk0
01-04-2019, 05:17 PM
I've been using it for over 20 years. It works great as a cleaner but it's not to be used as long term rust prevention. When I make a batch I always separate out some for oil (50/50 ATF/Kerosene) I use it as a gun oil and barrel coat but if you leave your firearms sit for more than say 3 months...reapply.

redhawk

Wolfer
01-04-2019, 07:27 PM
I go through a lot of it as a general penetrating oil around the farm. It works very well and the price can’t be beat.
As a gun cleaner it seems to work quite well but I don’t generally have leading problems and shoot very little jacketed.
I add 1 bottle of synthetic chain saw oil to a gallon. This doesn’t thicken it up and I believe helps with long term lubrication.

WheelgunConvert
01-04-2019, 09:17 PM
Lots of useful recipes and info on father frog’s pad website

Use google to find it as he seems to prefer visitors to refrain from publishing a link.

redhawk0
01-04-2019, 09:33 PM
I have the original write up from Ed himself.(1995)..if interested. I believe its already on the forum someplace.

redhawk

BigAlofPa.
01-04-2019, 10:42 PM
I used this for kerosene. Didn't realize it was a substitute until after i mixed it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Strip-Klean-Heat-1-Gallon/21140945