PDA

View Full Version : AR gas block removal

popper
01-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Low profile adjustable setscrew block. Tried a little heat, Coke & hammer - it don't come off darn it. Barrel is not dimpled, went on easy. Want to drop in in the US cleaner so the adjuster works again. Any ideas? Guess next time I'll get a clamp on.

country gent
01-03-2019, 10:14 PM
Build a clay dam around the front edge about 3/8" deep and soak with shooters choice kroil mixed 50-50. wrap some rags beneath it to catch what runs thru. When removing work with a twisting motion to loosen build up and twist off. Moe than likely there is a carbon build up between barrel and block holding it in place.

01-04-2019, 02:47 AM
More heat works wonders, just don't get it glowing! Try to remove the set screw while still hot, but stop turning before you strip it out. Maybe start with kroil and light taps, reapplied for days, and then attempt to remove.

If you do strip the screw out, it should be fairly easy to drill out the center of the set screw to remove the block.

Do you have an impact driver? These sometimes work very well with the simultaneous application of impact and torque to get a stuck screw moving.

Good luck!

Texas by God
01-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Try B12 carb cleaner. It may loosen enough crud to help removal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Gtek
01-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Probably carbon, would think carb cleaner as stated above, Kroil?

Elkins45
01-08-2019, 06:57 PM
ATF/acetone mixed 50/50 is reputed to be the most effective penetrant known to man. Maybe drip it with that for a day or so.

Wrap a strap wrench around it and try to wiggle it from side to side.

I suppose if all else fails you could back out the set screw and shoot a couple of rounds to see if that jars it free. I would save that as a last resort.

KLR
01-09-2019, 08:34 PM
I just removed one that I had bedded with loctite. I used heat and then a pair of channel lock pliers to twist the gas block back and forth. I used leather to keep the pliers from damaging the gas block. Heat, Oil, Twist, insert sharp pry bar and move gas block back slightly, Tap with brass punch and hammer. Repeat for 30 minutes. Progress is slow, but nothing was damaged.