PDA

View Full Version : Not very impressed with a heritage 22 revolver.

Tackleberry41
01-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Bought one for my son, he was about my age when I got a 22 revolver. Went with the birdhead grip as he liked it better,then ended up putting one on my black hawk.

Issue is its not very accurate, tried several ammos, all the same. It came with a 22mag cyl, but huge gaping throats. A cast 80gr I use in my AR flops around in the throats. The LR is a better, but not much. Then it has this weird forcing cone. Not a real shallow one, w 11deg angle. But more like a cone, it will swallow most of a loaded 22lr before hitting rifling, so if you measure its like a judge with over an inch of free bore before it starts to spin. And likely canted as it come out of the throat and hits that 1/2 of nothing before the rifling.

For my son do doubt he will get to worked up over accuracy so long as it will hit a can. But not very impressed with it. Plus the stupid safety. May trade it for a better Ruger.

contender1
01-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Every time I pick up a Heritage,, I find myself comparing it's workmanship to a Ruger. And so far,, I've never had one impress me enough to buy one.
I know some folks can't afford a Ruger,, but with the cost of a Heritage,, as compared to a little careful and patient shopping,, a Ruger can be found closer to what you'd spend on a Heritage. ESPECIALLY if you are willing to accept a shooter grade over a new looking gun.

fatelk
01-04-2019, 01:04 AM
I bought one a while back because it was cheap, and a friend of mine (a serious, die-hard hunter) kept bragging about his and how accurate it was.

I wouldn't compare it to an actual quality firearm, but compared to junk guns like a Jennings or an RG it's far above that class. The safety is ugly, and I also noticed that the forcing cone is this massive gaping funnel, but it seems decent for plinking at shorter ranges.

I should have known that my friend's standards of accuracy are different from mine. If he can hit a tin can thrown halfway across the yard most of the time, that's accurate enough for him. I think a Ruger is in a whole class above Heritage, but if I was comparing the two directly I would be seriously disappointed with the Heritage. I paid $130 for it, and around here used Single Sixes go for double that, at least.

Texas by God
01-04-2019, 01:20 AM
Mine is well worth the $100 it cost. It rides in the trunk of my Mule 24/7/365 and I can hit with it. It's definitely not in the same league as my Single Six, but it does work. No convertible models here.

Chad5005
01-04-2019, 01:24 AM
I bought one many years ago that shot good but fit and finish was ****,i kept it about 10 years before giving it to a friend but for sure want compare to my worst ruger

Dieselhorses
01-04-2019, 02:11 AM
My brother still has mine I paid 65.00 new 35 years ago and then sold to him for like 40.00. He swears by it and I wish I would have kept it. Of course Taurus took over Heritage so don't know.

poppy42
01-04-2019, 02:15 AM
I bought one 2 years ago from field & stream ( long before dicks instituted their current policy, I no longer deal with them) on the Friday after Thanksgiving. $99.00, with the 22 mag cylinder and a one year membership to the N. R. A. (Which I added to my current membership). All for the $99.00 price. I picked it with the intention of using it to teach my granddaughters to shoot pistols. It shoots 3/4” to 1” groups at 25 yards. I take rats , tree rats, and any other pests that need to be dispatched at 35/40 yards. Now it ain’t no Ruger and It ain’t no tax driver. The fit & finish, for a cast gun certainly isn’t the worst I’ve seen. My granddaughter loves shooting it! She can regularly hits can at 10 yards. I’ve put well over 3000 rounds through it with multiple different types of ammunition. I could not be happier! It was well worth the money I spent! And the best part, if the barrel falls off, I drop it off cliff, or in the Atlantic Ocean, tomorrow. Who cares! I paid $99.00 for, in essence, 2 guns and a one year membership to the NRA. I figure I could buy about 6 Heritage guns before I could buy one Ruger. It’s more than exceeding my expectations!

poppy42
01-04-2019, 02:19 AM
My brother still has mine I paid 65.00 new 35 years ago and then sold to him for like 40.00. He swears by it and I wish I would have kept it. Of course Taurus took over Heritage so don't know.

We’re did you here that Taurus took over Heritage? Last I herd Heritage arms is still Heritage arms and they have one plant and it’s in Miami Florida.

Tackleberry41
01-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Well it is better than the one I was given at his age. One of those german clunkers. Back of the cylinder all beat up from the hammer dropping out of time. It broke once, I replaced an internal part, then something else broke, finally it was stolen.

Just surprised at the forcing cone in the heritage, like nobody at the company has ever seen another revolver in their life. it hits the target at least, just not something your going to get much range out of. And guess the 22mag cyl is worthless as loose as the throats are. Only way to get the birds head was with both cyl.

Guesser
01-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Taurus USA picked up Heritage about 2 years ago. If you go to Taurusarmed.net and read thru you will find verification. Maybe even on Taurususa site.

GhostHawk
01-04-2019, 10:10 AM
I got mine 22 years ago in Brookings SD, pawn shop. Got my father in law to come fill out the paperwork for it.

I'll be honest, I struggled with it for 20 years. I WANTED it to shoot. But with the .22lr cylinder it just never would group well. Then one day for giggles i put the .22 mag cylinder in.

What a difference!. 6 shots in less than 1.5 inches instead of the normal 5-6" scatter.

And guests I had at the range totally loved it. From the basketball sized ball of flame on firing, the compression wave of air from that wave in your face, the noise. And the fact that it put them exactly where I wanted them at 20 feet.

This gun in one range trip went from the worst of all my pistols to a solid #3. And yeah its a ruger its behind.

Hard to compare a 150$ Heritage with a 400+ plus ruger. Not apples to apples IMO.

Anyway mine is getting a lot more use. I just stocked up on some .22mag. I have been shooting up my father in laws old stock he gifted me. Save the fresh stuff.

I have got a grandaughter, she is 5, and she is bold and brassy. And one day she is going to get her eyes opened, and hopefully learn to listen to grandpa on the same day.
But that day is not today. When she's ready. We'll be waiting.

Orchard6
01-04-2019, 10:20 AM
I’ve got 2 of them. You get what you pay for from Heritage. They’re fit and finish is sub par and accuracy may not be comparable to a match grade pistol but for plinking in the backyard with the kids I can’t think of a better way to spend $100!

poppy42
01-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Taurus USA picked up Heritage about 2 years ago. If you go to Taurusarmed.net and read thru you will find verification. Maybe even on Taurususa site.

I did not know that thanks for the info

Namerifrats
01-04-2019, 03:11 PM
I bought one last year for a few reasons. Cheap, wanted to have a single action (cowboy looking revolver), just to be used as a plinker, and cheap. I got the 6 1/2 barrel version with adjustable sights, also with both 22LR and 22 Mag cylinders, no issues. It's not a fancy tack driver nor did I expect it to be at $135. It does what I need it to do. I also have a Taurus 9 shot 22LR double action revolver I got inna trade years ago. Very accurate and a lot of fun. I can hit 20oz bottle sized targets at 50yrds with either all day long free hand. That's plenty for a pistol. Any more, and I'll use a rifle.

Dieselhorses
01-04-2019, 03:41 PM
We’re did you here that Taurus took over Heritage? Last I herd Heritage arms is still Heritage arms and they have one plant and it’s in Miami Florida.

Taurus has taken over Heritage arms according to
https://www.taurususa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=41

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crankycalico
01-05-2019, 02:38 AM
if it has a magnum barrel itll shoot better with the 22 mags. Otherwise youll have the same accuracy as shooting a 32 sw long in a 38 special barrel.

Although wonder sometimes on their center fire handguns

Dieselhorses
01-05-2019, 04:13 AM
if it has a magnum barrel itll shoot better with the 22 mags. Otherwise youll have the same accuracy as shooting a 32 sw long in a 38 special barrel.

Although wonder sometimes on their center fire handguns

Is this because of size of bullet? Twist? .22 magnum projectile's are same as .22 LR ?

Bazoo
01-05-2019, 05:07 AM
I've owned one. I got a buddy that has owned several, they always make trade fodder then he buys another. I've generally had a single six all the time I've been gunning. There is no comparison really. A Ruger will last a lifetime of use whereas a heritage won't. How long it will past is anybodies guess.

GhostHawk
01-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Well mine is 22 years old, still in good shape.

But you have to remember that you can buy 3 or 4 of those Heritage single sixes for what a single ruger will cost you.

Ruger will have better sights, good fit and finish. All depends on what you are looking for.

When I was a young lad that .22mag cylinder gave me the courage to go camping alone out in the wild north woods. No way I could have afforded a Ruger.

I'll never forget the night I was camped on an island with my canoe, had a hammock rigged. About Midnight Tree's started fallng, BIG trees, noisily, and only some 25 yards away. A single pop bought me some 3 hours of sleep.

Then I wake up hearing something breathing and snorting 10 feet from my hammock.
This one really freaked me out. Then I heard crunching chewing noises. Put a round straight up and in the muzzle flash I see the worlds most suprised doe, standing 8 feet away calmly browsing pine tips. That one flash and she was gone. Built up the fire, sat there shivering for an hour. Eventually got some more sleep.

Not sure who was more scared, me or the deer.

Experiences like that one can be pivots in a persons life. Giving him the courage to do anything, try anything. Without it what would he be?

I owe that doe. She taught me that no matter how scary it is, how bad it sounds. Reality is normally much less imposing. And that she was more afraid of me than I was of her.

I think we need to send more boys out into the wilds alone with a canoe and a cheap pistol. I think it would be good for the country.

lefty o
01-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Is this because of size of bullet? Twist? .22 magnum projectile's are same as .22 LR ?

22lr, and 22mag are different sized bullets, and should have different sized bores.

bedbugbilly
01-05-2019, 11:38 AM
I have a 4 3/4" 22 s, l & lr - no, they aren't a Ruger or a Colt, but mine has been an excellent shooter and i got it as a knock around pistol for the farm - works well on critters. I just ignore the safety - c'mon - it's a single action. For the price - a good starter pistol or one to not worry about getting nicks and scratches. They are what they are - an affordable 22 pistol. I've talked with several who have the longer barreled ones and they have no issues taking tree rats in trees with them. I have a pristine vintage Ruger Super Bearcat that I bought to shoot but after my wife saw it, it got put away for her to shoot. If I had to choose between my Heritage and the old Bearcat - it would be the Heritage everytime as I don't think the Bearcat I have shoots any better.

It's a good starter pistol - let him play with it and get used to how it shoots - if it doesn't work out then start looking for a good used single six. I've passed on several in the last couple of years that were very reasonably priced because I just got soured on shooting 22s when ammo was hard to find. I can reload 38s and have just as much fun.

littlejack
01-08-2019, 02:36 AM
Hey guys and gals.
Been quite a while since I've posted here. Was surfing through some of the posts, and found this one.
A couple years ago, I was in Wasilla, Alaska visiting my cousin. He had bought one of the Heritidge revolvers. I had been wanting to pick up a decent .22 revolver for a few years. Note the word "decent". Anyway, I shot a few cylinders full in his Heritidge. Accuracy was fair, and only fair. As previously stated, fit and finish was poor, and the ugly safety was, well very ugly. I passed on buying one.
Fast forward a few months to about mid 2017. Still looking. I stopped in a pawn shop, and they had on display, a Harrington & Richardson
revolver, and a slightly used Hi Standard Double Nine. I fondled them both, to see which was the tightest, the least used, and seemingly best kept. Hands down, the Hi Standard was definately the better revolver. 300.00 out the door. The gently used Hi Standard is a tack driver. By that, I mean it will run its nine rounds into a bottle cap at 12 yards if I do my part
Bottom line, I will take the 300.00 Hi Standard over three Heritidge revolvers any time. Don't waste your money.
Just my .02

crankycalico
01-08-2019, 02:49 AM
At the same time, a 38 special or 357 loaded with wadcutters would make a far better option for a first time shooter.

Bazoo
01-08-2019, 02:54 AM
Ghosthawk, thanks for the story.

I agree they have their place. Getting people started cheaply or as something to keep on the four wheeler or in the truck is certainly part of it.

My buddy had no problem getting replacement parts for his when he shot the ejector rod housing off and couldn't find all the parts. I don't recall if he had to pay for the parts.

Traffer
01-08-2019, 03:44 AM
22lr, and 22mag are different sized bullets, and should have different sized bores.

22lr and 22 Mag are the same sized bullets...However, 22 Mag are usually jacketed bullets and I have read that the bore should be a tiny bit larger. Don't know if that is true.
I have a Heritage 22lr that I bought about 2 years ago. Finish was a bit marred ...sent it back and got a new frame ...free no postage either way. Mine has good fit with cartridges. Shoots to point of aim. I got nothing bad to say about it. For $100 new it was a great deal. Only wish I had bought the Steel framed case hardened model...but not available where I live.

Jeff Michel
01-08-2019, 06:48 AM
.22 Mag diameter is .224, .22 LR is .223.

rfd
01-08-2019, 07:44 AM
imo heritage, like many bottom feeder firearms, will be hit or miss. bought a heritage .22lr 4-3/4" rough rider 2 years ago and i got lucky - works fine, good cylinder timing, good accuracy, funky "safety" switch ... and for sure it's no ruger single six.

https://i.imgur.com/LX6MhXA.jpg

hickok45 playing with a rough rider ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sruOplt19hw

Traffer
01-08-2019, 02:07 PM
@Jeff Michel

.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire
Bullet diameter .224 in (5.7 mm)
Neck diameter .242 in (6.1 mm)
Base diameter .242 in (6.1 mm)
Rim diameter .294 in (7.5 mm)
Rim thickness .050 in (1.3 mm)
Case length 1.055 in (26.8 mm)
Overall length 1.350 in (34.3 mm)

.22 Long Rifle (.22 LR)
Bullet diameter 0.223 in (5.7 mm) - 0.2255 in (5.73 mm)
Neck diameter .226 in (5.7 mm)[1]
Base diameter .226 in (5.7 mm)
Rim diameter .278 in (7.1 mm)
Rim thickness .043 in (1.1 mm)
Case length .613 in (15.6 mm)
Overall length 1.000 in (25.4 mm)
Rifling twist 1:16"[1]

Tazman1602
01-08-2019, 08:07 PM

Today. Sent in my $99 Special to have 22 Mag cylinder fitted and got an email back from Taurus saying 12 Weeks to fit.... hey for $99 it's a great truck gun. NOT a Ruger or Smith but hey....$99? Happy...

Art

jimb16
01-08-2019, 08:31 PM
When I bought mine, I couldn't keep hits on a 25 yard target at 10 yards. Half of the ones that did hit were keyholed. I sent the gun and target to Taurus under warrantee. A couple weeks later I got it back with a test target shot off sandbags at 15 yards. The guy wasn't the best shot. Mine now holds 1 1/2 inch groups offhand at 15 yards with .22 mags and just under 2 with long rifle rounds. If it doesn't perform out of the box, send it in!

Drm50
01-08-2019, 09:15 PM
I will not go into comparison of Heritage with Ruger or Colt because there isn't any. Back in the 60s up through 70s there were a lot of imported SA clones on the market. There were quite a few while not comparable to Colt
and Ruger they were much better guns than the Heritage. The German SAs with steel frames were good pistols for the money. Brazil & Italy put out some SAs closer to Heritage. The Zinc frame guns were all junk. I get into
this Heritage argument at least once a week. There is always somebody who has one that is very accurate. It's possible but in my experience they are very poor on average. I find them so inacurate that they are no fun to shoot. Then again my idea of accuracy may not be the same as Heritage owners. When I was a kid I got a Ruger
Single-6( $59.95 at the time) and compared to my buddies H&Rs, IJs and assorted imports it was a target pistol.
Around the same time I got a S&W K22 NIB on a trade. I had no interest in it at all. Didn't want to shoot it and make a used gun out of it for future trading purposes. Due to H&Rs and IJs, I had no use for DA revolvers. One of my buddies kept on me to shot it. I finally did and found out what a accurate 22 revolver was. I still have that old Single-6 and carried it for "ruff" duty but for serious 22 shooting I carried the K22 from that day on and still
do. I guess it all comes down to what accurate is to different people.

RED BEAR
01-08-2019, 10:31 PM
i have been thinking about buying one. i am a sucker for the less expensive guns. i have been surprised at how well some do. i have an rg10 that i inherited and can see why they got such a bad rep but have other rg's that aren't bad guns have a little rg 32 long that i just love.

fatelk
01-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Bottom line, I will take the 300.00 Hi Standard over three Heritidge revolvers any time. Don't waste your money.

Just as there are plenty of people who would take one Porsche over a dozen Chevys. To each their own.

If you're going to compare it with a better quality arm, don't buy one. They will not measure up to a Ruger or S&W. If you want a decent gun to rely on (only one), you're better of saving up and buying something better.

On the other hand, if you're willing to spend a hundred buck but not $300, and are fine with a perfectly usable but cheap gun, they're really not bad, so long as you know what to expect.

My friend who likes his, considers it good accuracy if he can hit a tin can 20 feet away. Fine precision would be wasted on him.

dkf
01-08-2019, 11:41 PM
If you can spare the money. For a first handgun the kid could have the rest of his life, spending the extra for a Ruger Single Six convertible is a good idea IMO. Even a used one. First handgun I bought was a Ruger Single Six.

fatelk
01-09-2019, 12:02 AM
My first handgun was (is) a Ruger Standard automatic. I've fired many thousands of rounds through it, and one of my kids will inherit it someday. It's head and shoulders above a Heritage for quality and accuracy, but I still appreciate the Heritage for what it is. If I had to choose only one? Oh, yeah... the Heritage would be gone in a heartbeat. :)

I think we're talking apples and oranges here. Some of us like to tinker with cheap guns, though we have plenty of quality guns too. Others among us only have quality firearms and have no interest in ever owning something that may be sub-par. To each their own.

Walks
01-09-2019, 01:46 AM
About 25+yrs ago, when they showed up, they were pretty darned cheap. Had a Buddy who was a cheapskate. He'd buy a Rossi over a Taurus because it was $20bucks cheaper. He started Cowboy Shooting with a used Rossi .44 Carbine, his old Blackhawk .357 and an OLD Stevens SxS 12ga. He bought a .45Colt American Arms Spaghetti gun for $200 bucks for his 2nd gun.

Then he started to pick up SideMatch guns. The first one was a heritage .22LR revolver. He fought that gun for a year. Put about 1,000 rds through it. Some even hit a soda can at 20ft.

Finally one Beautiful Sunny Day at Our Club's SideMatch Sunday. He missed a 12" steel plate at 20ft 5 shots out of five. He was even shooting Remington Target .22's (mine).

Well his volatile nature got the better of him. He swore a BLUE streak ( Profanity is a violation of Club rules ) and threw the revolver, yes I SAID THREW the revolver down range. It must have gone a good 40+yards, bounced 3 maybe 4 times.

Well a cease fire was called and the gun was retrieved. Much worse for wear. My Buddy was DQ'ed from the match and sent home. Which was a bit hard as he and 2 others had driven to the match in my Astro.

At the next Club meeting he was voted out. Word got around and he was banned from the other Clubs in the Area for a year. There were 7 monthly matches in SoCal back in those days.

So if I should say that heritage .22's were junk, my experience with his and other Cowboy Shooters that bought a cheap .22 will bear me out.

Just MHO

Traffer
01-09-2019, 03:15 AM
imo heritage, like many bottom feeder firearms, will be hit or miss. bought a heritage .22lr 4-3/4" rough rider 2 years ago and i got lucky - works fine, good cylinder timing, good accuracy, funky "safety" switch ... and for sure it's no ruger single six.

https://i.imgur.com/LX6MhXA.jpg

hickok45 playing with a rough rider ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sruOplt19hw

Here we have a VIDEO Showing a guy whom we all know is not partial...Actually being very impressed with the little gun. If you don't believe your own eyes ... there is no arguing.

GhostHawk
01-09-2019, 08:12 AM
Thank you Traffer for that post.

Personally I like them, good enough fit and finish for what it costs.
Mine has given me no troubles at all.

It was just frustrating because I was feeding it the wrong ammo.
But that is on ME, not the gun.

Anytime I am taking someone to the range for some fun, I make sure I include it.
And I make sure it has the .22mag cylinder in, and that there are at least 100 rounds to feed it. It is just different enough, having to remove the empty brass one by one, then fill it. It takes time, concentration. Then that big firball and concussion blast in your face. Eyes get BIG. Then they see that hole right where they pointed it. And eyes get bigger. Shoulders get squared and up comes the gun for round two.

Not bad for 150$. Not bad at all.

rfd
01-09-2019, 09:06 AM
not bad at all for the $99 i paid when tombstone had it on sale. :bigsmyl2:

jonp
01-09-2019, 10:38 AM
We have 2 and you get what you pay for which is not bad as long as you keep your expectations to match. Both work fine, are reasonably accurate and we dont care if they get scratched.
Are they as good as my Ruger Single Six? No but my Single Six isn't as good as my SW Model 17 either.
All have their use

KCSO
01-09-2019, 10:58 AM
At least it shoots... the three we got in the shop one time would not fire the hammer would not hit the firing pin hard enough to set off a 22. We will not sell them.

TNsailorman
01-09-2019, 11:38 AM
Not trying to step on anyones toes or start a big argument. I have seen them at very low prices around here and even if I was to get one that would not shoot right, I would send it back and explain the problem. If they would not fix the problem under warrantee , then I would send them a letter of complaint. Lets face it, single actions do not always shoot to point of aim, nobodies. I have never been able to afford a Colt Single Action but I have read and heard from people who do and from what I have read and heard, they generally shoot to windage but seldom hit to point of aim as to high or low. I have had several Ruger single action revolvers and not one of them was dead on at 25 yards, all shot either left or right of point of aim or low or high. Even a replacement Vaquero that Ruger sent a target when they mailed a replacement revolver to me shot slightly to the left on their own included target. It is the nature of the beast nowadays that mass production take place of high quality. Nobody that I know of has a quality control department that checks each and every piece manufactured like they did in the old days. It is simply not possible in the modern competitive business world. Taurus guns are made for the entry level buyer and for the most part and the fit, finish, and material quality is geared to that level, not the collector or buyer who wants both fit and finish as well as a decent shooter. If they were manufactured with the Ruger fit and finish, they would have to put a price on them several times higher for the increased cost. If you want a higher grade fit and finish, buy a Ruger, if your aim is to buy a plinker just to horse a round with, buy the Taurus and spend the extra money on ammo for it. Just my opinion and you may or may not agree, its your money. james

Tackleberry41
01-10-2019, 02:11 PM
I took it apart yesterday, thought something was wrong, like the mainspring was still in it, even tho the grip frame and spring were not on the gun. The hand was so tight, it felt like a mainspring. Frame not even cut right for it to work right.

Catpop
01-10-2019, 11:35 PM
$99 at Dunham’s at times- good price for a knock around. But now learning Taurus is involved, count me out! I already got two of them that don’t work!

Texas by God
01-11-2019, 10:38 AM
I have both, enjoy both. Of course the Heritage is way below the Ruger in quality but it does work. Heck, the elk grips on my SS are worth more than the Heritage! I'll do a side by side accuracy test soon and see what happens. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190111/70981be02a0edb4c26046ef330c42b35.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Traffer
01-11-2019, 07:33 PM
At least it shoots... the three we got in the shop one time would not fire the hammer would not hit the firing pin hard enough to set off a 22. We will not sell them.
This is the first report I have seen or heard that they didn't work out of the box. They took mine back because of blemishes on the frame and the firing pin was hitting the very outside of the rim and I figures that it was a matter of time before it would start misfiring...They gave me new frame and tested it with a report... I didn't even have to pay shipping either way. Not bad for a $99 revolver.

Tackleberry41
01-12-2019, 11:29 AM
I can see why they might misfire, the mainspring has to overcome all the internal parts. Mine was way to tight inside. Could definitely feel the hand trying to turn the cyl. Then the resistance of the hand as the hammer dropped. Once I fixed that, mainspring is way heavier than it needs to be.

Frame is a bit crude, just paint, no bluing. Did get some decent accuracy out of some plated ammo. Took out the safety, will slim down the main spring.

Traffer
01-12-2019, 01:39 PM
I can see why they might misfire, the mainspring has to overcome all the internal parts. Mine was way to tight inside. Could definitely feel the hand trying to turn the cyl. Then the resistance of the hand as the hammer dropped. Once I fixed that, mainspring is way heavier than it needs to be.

Frame is a bit crude, just paint, no bluing. Did get some decent accuracy out of some plated ammo. Took out the safety, will slim down the main spring.

Your post mystifies me...These are single action. The only thing that moves when you pull the trigger is the sear, right? Or am I misinterpreting something here.

Tackleberry41
01-13-2019, 10:00 AM
No when the hammer drops, the hand is pinned to it, so has to move to. My black hawk, no main spring, the hammer flops. Heritage, it wont budge on its own, hand is to tight.

fatelk
01-21-2019, 09:12 PM
I just thought I'd follow up on this thread, since I sat down at the bench with my Heritage Rough Rider today. The crude sights really leave something to be desired, but it did pretty well to put most rounds within 3" at 25 yards. That's really not bad at all. I must have gotten a good one. With better sights, or a shooter with sharper eyes, I'd think it might do better. I was aiming at the lower target, so I'll need to figure out what to do with the sights. Or just not worry about it, since it's really not the kind of gun I'll be shooting at 25 yards much.

Here what my old Ruger Standard will do, or at least about the best I can do with it. Ten shot group under 2", which is good for me:

Loiterer
01-22-2019, 11:33 PM
I picked one up a while back, bird head model.

Only ammo used in it is snake shot. Not bad for just walking around the desert.

Not worried about what it looks like.

sandog
01-23-2019, 09:06 AM
I advertised 5 boxes of Federal 9mm HST ammo on Armslist, after a few weeks it hadn't sold, and a guy in a neighboring town asked me if I would take a NIB heritage in trade. He had bought it for his wife to shoot and she didn't like it.
I did the trade, not expecting much.
I have an early 70's Colt New Frontier .22, it is so fine makes even the nicest Ruger seem like a clunker.
The Heritage was a bit rough in finish and smoothness, the safety was funky, but it shot O.K.
I gave it to a friend, who didn't have a .22 handgun, he's happy with it.
I can't think of anything bad to say about the Heritage, they are well worth the $140 or so they sell for.

LUBEDUDE
01-23-2019, 11:20 AM
When I go to the gun shows all of the Heritages on the tables have these hideous, fugly paint jobs. I can’t remember if the grips are bad as well. They look like a 5 year old picked the colors for the frames. They went beyond putting lipstick on a pig.

Well I guess those were special editions or experimentals. I can’t find a single picture on the internet.

What do you expect, they are the revolver version of Hi-Point!

BigAlofPa.
01-23-2019, 11:33 AM
I have 2 and my wife has 2. We are happy with them. There just range toys to plink with.

ikarus1
01-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Every time I wanted to like a Heritage, I picked one up and put it back down in disgust. That side plate is just hideous. So about 2 years ago I picked up an older H&R 949 'forty niner' with a 5.5" barrel for around $200 OTD. Never been happier with a $200 handgun.....and it's "vintage" made in USA, in other words, there's probably no way I can wear it out under normal use.
Sure there's no Warranty, but ebay and GB are full of spare parts should the need arise.

These things were the 'Heritage' revolvers of their time, and every time I shoot a 9 shot cylinder full of cheap plinker ammo it's smiles for hours.

fatelk
01-23-2019, 05:20 PM
What do you expect, they are the revolver version of Hi-Point!

That is true, very true. It seems that both Hi-Point and Heritage are experiments in how to manufacture the absolutely cheapest, ugliest, firearm possible, that actually functions reasonably well.

I hear that a lot of people really love their Hi-Points, but I’ve just never been able to bring myself to buy one.

Scorpion8
01-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Anyway mine is getting a lot more use. I just stocked up on some .22mag. I have been shooting up my father in laws old stock he gifted me. Save the fresh stuff.

If you want an even superior experience, find some of the 22 WRF that seems to be widely plentiful again, at least at my Sportsman's Warehouse. MOST of the power of a 22 WMR, but half the flash and bang. Makes the 22 Mag cylinder a joy to use.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301126619/cci-ammunition-22-winchester-rimfire-wrf-45-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

Traffer
01-23-2019, 08:26 PM
If you want an even superior experience, find some of the 22 WRF that seems to be widely plentiful again, at least at my Sportsman's Warehouse. MOST of the power of a 22 WMR, but half the flash and bang. Makes the 22 Mag cylinder a joy to use.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301126619/cci-ammunition-22-winchester-rimfire-wrf-45-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

Wow, never thought I'd see the day... it's nice though. Still a lot of old model 1890's out there chambered for them too. That will make some folks very happy.

Traffer
01-23-2019, 08:28 PM
It's always the folks that don't own them that trash them. Wonder why?

Cheeto303
01-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Heritages are good for what they are. I have a birds head grip model. It is my chicken gun. I will not take my Rugers in the chicken coop. I once dropped it in the poop.Not good. The Heritage on the other hand is great for the job. I load rat shot in the 1st two chambers and cheap Federal bulk solids in the remaining chambers. If I see mice or a snake I pop them with the shot. If I encounter a Possum,Coon,Putty Kat or any varmints raiding my coop I just cock the hammer twice and I'm good.It's nothing more than selecting the right tool for the right job.They are great beater guns.

Texas by God
01-23-2019, 11:40 PM
It's always the folks that don't own them that trash them. Wonder why?That is very common behaviour.
There's nothing wrong with my zinc frame, painted finish, bowling ball grips Heritage. 22. As said; it's a Beater. Perfect to ride the river with.

fatelk
01-24-2019, 12:28 AM
That is very common behaviour.
There's nothing wrong with my zinc frame, painted finish, bowling ball grips Heritage. 22. As said; it's a Beater. Perfect to ride the river with.

I agree. If you pick one up expecting a fine firearm with nice fit and finish, just put it down and walk away, because you won't like it.

If you expect a utilitarian, functional firearm for the price point, then it just might work OK for you.

Just for the record, I'd much prefer an old H&R too, all else being equal. A few years ago I passed up a used Single Six for $200. I'm still kicking myself over that. Every time I say "That's it, no more guns, no matter what", I end up seeing a good deal.

Bfr taday
01-26-2019, 05:35 PM
I bought 2 heritage 22 one for me one for the wife. My wife wanted a 22 revolver and the price was right for a plinker. When compere it to one of my ruger it makes me wounded if it could hit the broadside side of a barn then look at the tolerance on my bfr 45-70 and the old sane you get what you pay for comes to mind. Over all it is actually a pretty accurate the tolerances are lose to make it cheaper and easier to mass produce kinda like hi point and glock compared to a browning hi power or a Wilson combat. And yes I just put hi point and glock in the same category because they belong together one of the things that make glock so great is their lose tolerances allowing for interchangeability and helps prevent jamming kinda same reason ak47 never jam. Plus the production price of a glock is pretty cheap. Not saying glocks are a bad gun just speaking on pearly mechanical stand point of the gun.

Texas by God
01-26-2019, 09:24 PM
My previous posts on the Heritage were based on casual plinking and making some good shots with it. There were also misses that I blamed on my slipping handgun skills. I guess not...
Turns out I'm coughing up black feathers concerning my Heritage. I shot it and my Ruger today and the targets tell the truth. Sandbag rest at 15 yds. I did find an ammo it likes, though.
I guess I'll see how the warranty works[emoji58]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/03ff63f032f71ab4293ba530ac56bdb1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/44215831dda7af775b498cbf560cfde1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/3dd76e7d24e87347af7b512b69789af6.jpg

Traffer
01-26-2019, 11:42 PM
@Texas by God... are those keyholes? What would cause that?

Sekatoa
01-26-2019, 11:50 PM
I have a Heritage Bounty Hunter I got in partial trade I have yet to shoot. Now I’m curious about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatelk
01-27-2019, 01:07 AM
My previous posts on the Heritage were based on casual plinking and making some good shots with it. There were also misses that I blamed on my slipping handgun skills. I guess not...
Turns out I'm coughing up black feathers concerning my Heritage. I shot it and my Ruger today and the targets tell the truth. Sandbag rest at 15 yds. I did find an ammo it likes, though.
I guess I'll see how the warranty works[emoji58]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/03ff63f032f71ab4293ba530ac56bdb1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/44215831dda7af775b498cbf560cfde1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/3dd76e7d24e87347af7b512b69789af6.jpg

It's interesting that you post that. I had an odd incident with mine that I didn't mention before because I thought it was a fluke, but now I wonder. I posted some targets that I shot back on post 51. That target being proof that this little gun can shoot fairly respectable groups from sandbags, at 25 yards.

However: I previously had it at the 7 yard line shooting offhand. The first two cylinders it was flinging them just like your targets here, scattered buckshot groups of tumbling bullets. What the heck?! I was scratching my head looking at the darn thing, and decided to try one more cylinder. The next six rounds went into a nice little ragged one-hole group! I then put another six bullets through the same ragged hole. Then I shot two cylinders worth into a respectable group at 25 yards. I scratched it up to a fluke of some kind and forgot about it. Looking back, I had been previously fiddling with it and had the mag cylinder on it, and had just put the LR cylinder back on before going to the range. I don't see how that could have anything to do with it.

I still like the gun and think it was a good value for the money, but I wouldn't want to rely on it in any serious situation.

Texas by God
01-27-2019, 11:50 AM
Definite keyholes. Today if I get time I'll try it with .22 shorts and other brand of LR. I've emailed Heritage about it- we will see what they say. They may tell me too bad because I blocked the safety and just load it with 5. I probably voided the warranty doing so. I can't imagine the cause unless it's just a bad barrel. If they won't touch it I'll see if I can fix it without spending money on it. It may become a rat shot gun or a sightless storekeeper:-)

Traffer
01-27-2019, 01:40 PM
I had an old 22lr rifle that keyholed like that. Found a hairline crack at the crown of the barrel. It seems my stupid brother wanted to see what would happen when he put the end of the barrel in a puddle of water when he pulled the trigger. That was my beloved Winchester 1890.

Texas by God
01-27-2019, 07:17 PM
Ok, at least it goes bang every time. Everything shot horribly except the first 12 .22 Shorts. So I shot 6 more at the S on the box and Nooooo. Yes, that's the muzzle end of the cylinder showing the "cylinder choke" throats.
I placed it in the back of the filing cabinet till I hear from Heritage.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/c49c7c4f1ec731fc8fb7fd55a88a0e6c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/d9dd4342b25c71cd6cae084ae7952147.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/d4b82bb369b133e2e673dddb738ee5ad.jpg

Traffer
01-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Wow, Now I have to dig out mine and check it ...

Texas by God
01-27-2019, 10:48 PM
Yes please. Let's get more owner test reports.

fatelk
01-27-2019, 11:01 PM
Ok, at least it goes bang every time. Everything shot horribly except the first 12 .22 Shorts. So I shot 6 more at the S on the box and Nooooo. Yes, that's the muzzle end of the cylinder showing the "cylinder choke" throats.
I placed it in the back of the filing cabinet till I hear from Heritage.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190127/d4b82bb369b133e2e673dddb738ee5ad.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that on mine. Not pretty. They must save money by boring their chamber straight through instead of doing it right. The other ugly thing is the cavernous, massive crater of a forcing cone:

These things have more freebore than a Judge!

Traffer
01-28-2019, 02:54 AM
@Texas by God ...Mine is exactly the same. The 22lr cylinder has a straight bore. Cartridges fit either way. The throat in the barrel is the same as yours also. 3/4 of a cartridge fits into the bore at the forcing cone.
I tested the 22 mag cylinder...it has a stepped bore. The bullet end is tighter than the 22lr cylinder bullet end.
I still don't think it should keyhole like that though. Have you checked the crown of the barrel for hairline cracks?
It will be a while till I can shoot mine. It is going to be -30°F tomorrow here in WI. The only range nearby doesn't open until May.

Love Life
01-28-2019, 07:17 AM
I had one and only shot 22 shorts out of it.

Tackleberry41
01-28-2019, 08:58 AM
I fiddled with the one I bought my son, guess just picky about ammo. Tried some copper plated and it shot better. 22 mag still is near worthless in it. Just the huge throats in the cyl, then that gaping forcing cone. Not the 22mag ammo as it works fine in my other 2 semi autos. Its a cheap plinking gun, just seems some pretty crappy engineering on Heritage part.

fatelk
01-30-2019, 11:11 PM
This thread has had me wondering about my El Cheapo revolver, so I've been taking it out every time I go to the range. Today I tried several types of ammo in it, including the mag cylinder. I was shooting resting on a sandbag at 50 feet. It actually does pretty well with the cheap Aguila lead bullet ammo. It was real consistent shooting 1.5" to 2" groups at 50' with LR. The magnums opened up just a little, about a 2.5" group. The funny thing is that when I put the LR cylinder back on, it still shot the sub-2" groups, except for a flyer in each group that was clearly tumbling and making an oblong hole several inches away!

I have a bore scope I'm going to borrow from work tomorrow, to take a close look into the forcing cone and bore. Tumbling bullets to me says that they're skidding in the rifling. Must be fouling or something?

Yes, I know a cheap little thing like this isn't worth spending much time or effort on, but I enjoy tinkering and learning.

Texas by God
01-31-2019, 10:16 PM
I'm thinking that the casual relationship between chambers and the barrel sometimes flings the bullets canted or something. Oh-still no word from Heritage. Traffer, I'll go check the muzzle now and shoot a group or two.

Texas by God
01-31-2019, 10:54 PM
No muzzle cracks, I checked with a lighted magnifying glass with fisheye. Offhand in the shop at about 25'. It's too dang bad because it has a great trigger. At least the Colibris hit point on.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/79f52b0770bd39472c529fb2f05ddfc4.jpg

Traffer
01-31-2019, 11:01 PM
With that gaping forcing cone they may well be canting in the barrel on the way out. Slightly different bullet shape could account for some type shooting without tumbling while others tumble. I wonder if it is fixable short of a new barrel and or cylinder.
I haven't shot much out of mine but haven't noticed any keyholes from it.
The only keyholes I ever got from a 22 was when I experimented by loading some bullets way deep in the cases...they don't seem to like that.

rking22
01-31-2019, 11:58 PM
I haven't commented on this thread because I don't have one. I am one of the fine fit and finish types,just so you know. I had a SW M617 start doing that due to the junk Fed 555 I was shooting. They leaded the first inch of barrel to the point a cleaning rod would not pass. That stopped when I lubed each one before loading, did I mention I am frugal. That is a possibility with these, build up leading, then "pass" it like a kidney stone and do better a while. The shot loads could be leading as well, don't know as I have not used the figure ones in decades. My real suspicion is that the timing and lockup are no better than the overall build quality and the generously dimensioned throat and forcing cone are their "fix". If so the bullets will strike the rifling at random angles and exit the barrel the same way. The base will Not be square to the crown and it will shoot like the crown is bad, really bad! When the high pressure gasses exit one side first, it tips the bullet leading to the keyholes in extreme cases. Could explain the shorts and colibri shooting better, less muzzle pressure to act on the bullet. I also suspect their "target market" is quite satisfied with a gun that goes bang every time. I am not throwing stones, they design and build to their market and that drives a price point. Just wanted to offer some thoughts on what could be causing the keyholes.

fatelk
02-01-2019, 12:29 AM
I also suspect their "target market" is quite satisfied with a gun that goes bang every time

I suspect that you are absolutely right!

I looked at my bore with a cheap bore scope from work. Before cleaning it looked pretty bad for the first inch or so of rifling. As I scrubbed it with a bore brush, it seemed to feel a bit gritty in that area, but cleaned up fine. Close up, the gaping "forcing cone" (if you can call it that) is even more ugly. I have a hard time understanding how mine shoots as well as it does. I'll keep fiddling with it each time I go out, see if I can figure out any rhyme or reason to the occasional tumbling bullet. It feels like it locks up pretty solid.

I paid less for it that a nice dinner out, for some people. Not for me, of course, because I'm cheap, but I've sure seen friends and family spend a lot more on less. For something usable to fiddle with, I still don't regret buying it.

rking22
02-01-2019, 12:45 AM
One way to make the price point is generous in process dimensions, the stackup yields lots of average guns. It also allows some very bad ones to be assembled, some parts that are just barely big enough to make spec, some that are almost too big but still "ok". At the same time there will be some that come out quite good, dimensionally comparable to Ruger or SW. They will shoot well, you may have one of those. Tighter specs cost more but give better uniformity of the final produce, looser specs yield much lower cost and a good bit of varation between any two examples. They are what they are.

fatelk
02-01-2019, 02:11 AM
Oh, I can guarantee it's in no way comparable to a S&W or Ruger, dimensionally or otherwise, other than it shoots bullets. :)

For example, it has no cylinder gap. Literally none at all, but there is enough end shake that the cylinder still turns just fine. It seems like they took all the manufacturing rules about about making a good revolver and threw them out the window, and re-engineered it to figure out how to make the absolutely cheapest one that would function tolerably well.

I think you hit the nail on the head, rking22, in that these guns are not made for us, the firearms enthusiast who knows and appreciate quality guns, but rather to mass market to the "goes bang" crowd.

To be honest, I don't really know why I like the dang little thing. The more I look at it, the more I realize it really is a cheaply made, junky thing. Maybe I'm just a little like that Hickok45 video. I didn't expect much from something so cheap and ugly, but it does actually seem to work fairly well, for what it is.

Tackleberry41
02-01-2019, 08:15 AM
Yea one would imagine, its alot easier to make a pistol if you do not have to worry about lining things up. So what if the chambers are drilled straight, just put a gaping forcing cone in, problem solved. Every other revolver the bullet is already in the rifling before the base leaves the throat. Get the little bit of gas thru the cylinder gap. Heritage, the bullet is in free flight for a good inch, the gases blowing past it. Just like the poor accuracy out of those 45colt/410 chambers. Entirely possible a 22 lead 22 bullet with zero spin will start to yaw in that inch of gap. Shallow forcing cone, big problems, long deep one, just jams it in. Bullet comes out the end.

Same as the overly heavy hammer spring, to overcome the poor internal workmanship. It was a bit surprising how heavy duty the hand was compared to something like my Black hawk. One in the Ruger almost feels dainty compared to the heritage.

Its a gun, it goes bang, maybe accurate with right ammo. Learned my lesson, won't invest in another. Save up for a better brand.

rfd
02-01-2019, 08:32 AM
same here with ....

https://i.imgur.com/xxNqnoe.jpg

GhostHawk
02-01-2019, 08:41 AM
I still like cheap guns. I also like expensive guns but I don't have near as many of those.

But then I guess I really don't try to compare the cheap ones to the good ones. It don't fly.

But for a range toy to take someone else to the range. I'd rather start them with one of my cheap guns. If they drop it I'm not going to cringe so much. Once they gain some proficiency, show they can align sights and hit what they are aiming at I may bring out the Ruger's.

To me they have a place, great beater gun to take on a fishing or canoe trip. Would not do either with the Ruger.

What that place is to you is up to you. It could be left in the LGS or be a constant companion.

A perfect piece of hand crafted machinery it is not. But your not paying for that either.

rfd
02-01-2019, 08:51 AM
cheap guns are typically best for being what they are - cheap. a heritage .22lr rough rider revolver that's good for minute-of-large-watermelon consistent hits at 10 yards might be someone's idea of "good accuracy". others would strongly disagree. to each their own.

Texas by God
02-01-2019, 09:59 AM
My cousin's son got one a few years ago and we all shot it at deer camp and it would roll fans fine. He has taken more than a few skunks and dillos with it.
It's never seen a paper target and I told his dad to keep them away from it[emoji16]

Traffer
02-01-2019, 12:13 PM
I have become such a poor shot that there is no way I could tell apart the accuracy between the Rough Rider and a Colt. Truth is that I can't manage to get a 4" group at 50 yards with a decent rifle.

littlejack
02-01-2019, 02:05 PM
Traffer:
Have you considered mounting a scope or red dot on your firearms?
My eye sight has definitely declined to the point where optics are no longer an option, but a necessity. I mounted a red dot (Vortex Sparc II) on my Hi Standard Double Nine. Now, I can enjoy the aspect of hitting the bulleye.
Sorry fellas for being off topic.
Regards

fatelk
02-01-2019, 02:30 PM
The cheap guns I liked best were surplus. I miss the days of $50 Mosins and Turk Mausers, $100 Tokarevs, Makarovs, CZ52s, Ishapore Enfields, Nagant revolvers, etc., and those were all in this century. Going back a little further some were even better, but I’m sure a lot of you all remember the days.

Trouble is, back then I barely had the $50 or $100 to spend. Timing is everything...

littlejack
02-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Twenty bucks for a surplus store 1911. But I was welding for 3.00 per hour. Lol

littlejack
02-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Middle of last year, I payed 3.99 for an avacado. We have definately regressed.

fatelk
02-01-2019, 07:05 PM
That’s pretty good, a 1911 for a day’s wages! You’ve been buying guns a little longer than I have!

I guess it can still be done though. When I get called out for overtime work I could buy a cheap 1911 for a day’s wages, so maybe things haven’t changed all that much.

Traffer
02-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Traffer:
Have you considered mounting a scope or red dot on your firearms?
My eye sight has definitely declined to the point where optics are no longer an option, but a necessity. I mounted a red dot (Vortex Sparc II) on my Hi Standard Double Nine. Now, I can enjoy the aspect of hitting the bulleye.
Sorry fellas for being off topic.
Regards
Yes indeed. I have optics for the 22 and because of the kindness of the folks here I now have optics for my Handi Rifle also. HOWEVER. Not only is my eyesight shot, my nervous system is messed up from illness surgery and pain. When I said I couldn't get better than a 4" group at 50 yards that was with a 22 rifle and a 3-9 scope.

littlejack
02-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Traffer:
I understand sir.
Our minds say go, our bodies say whoa!
All the best to you sir.

Texas by God
02-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Mine is going to point shooting land. You don't need sights if you can't steer the bullets with them:-/

fatelk
02-02-2019, 03:12 PM
I’m curious about what Heritage will have to say about it. They sold you a revolver, not a shotgun.

Traffer
02-02-2019, 03:15 PM
I bet they will take it back and fix it. They are actually pretty good about that. I don't mean change the cylinder and forcing cone specs but make sure it won't keyhole like that and at least shoot pretty straight. They took mine back because I complained about blemishes in the finish of the receiver. They refinished it.

jimb16
02-02-2019, 06:03 PM
They replaced a bad barrel on mine.

Tazman1602
02-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Hey I bought one of these for $99 and a 22WMR cylinder for $35 + $35 for fitting. So now for $169 I have both and never have to worry about hurting it as I would a beloved Colt Frontier Scout that costs roughly 4-5 times that.

It's exactly what I wanted. A cheap truck gun and it goes bang every time. Not bad for what they are and we all know --- you get what you pay for, just know what your going to use it for.

I also have an Olympic AR that I paid $350 for, it rides in the truck every day and I don't worry about a thing....

Art

fatelk
02-03-2019, 01:23 AM
My sons and I spent some time at the range this afternoon. I shot the little Rough Rider quite a bit, 12 six-shot groups at 10 yards. I shot some CCI SV, Aguila lead SV, Winchester T22, and some Federal Black Pack. Most of the groups were around one inch. A couple groups had fliers, but other than those the average for all the groups was about an inch. The groups vary in POI because I was changing my aim. It shoots a little high. All in all, this seems pretty good to me. I'm not the best shot around, and have trouble doing better than this with any handgun.

I didn't have any tumbling bullets at all this time. I don't understand the tumbling issue before. One thing I did notice is that if I cock the hammer slowly and am not careful to pull it completely back, it's possible to pull the trigger and drop the hammer without the cylinder being locked into position. It doesn't seem likely to me that that's what I was doing before, but I guess it's possible.

Texas by God
02-03-2019, 01:40 AM
Looks like you got a good one, fatelk. Nicely regulated As well with the CCI sv that tumble like dice in mine.

fatelk
02-03-2019, 02:02 AM
Funny thing is, there's been a couple times where it has slung shotgun patterns of tumbling bullets like yours. I was kind of hoping I could duplicate the problem today so I could try to figure it out.

Traffer
02-03-2019, 04:43 AM
I think that if it starts throwing tumblers knock it against a fence post a few times. Maybe that'll clear it up.

fatelk
02-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Texas, I had a thought while shooting at the range today. I have a silly question for you about your Rough Rider. Any chance the cylinder wasn't quite locking up completely when you were shooting it?

I was out again today, and took the little Rough Rider .22lr just because it really is a lot of fun to shoot. I shot two cylinders at a single target at 25 yards. 10 out of 12 were inside 1.5"; one round was another half-inch outside the group, and a flier took the whole group to 4". That's about as good as I can shoot with anything (with the exception of the flier).

I was fiddling with it a little, and found that if I very slowly and gently cocked the hammer, pulling it back only to where it would click but not all the way back hard, it would fire fine but the cylinder was not quite aligned and locked. I tried a cylinder full by gently cocking it like that, and ended up with an ugly, scattered group of oblong holes.

As I mentioned before, on a previous range trip I had a couple groups just like that, and couldn't figure it out because the tumbling magically stopped. I sure can't recall how I was gripping it and cocking the hammer, but my best theory is that I was focused on shooting accurately and must have cocked it insufficiently, then changed my grip a little and started doing it right.

It strikes me as a poor design to allow it to fire without being fully aligned and locked, but that's how it is on mine. Anyone else with a Rough Rider notice this?

Otherwise, it really is a lot of fun to shoot, kind of brings back the kid in me. I'd never had a single action .22lr before. I went through a couple hundred rounds. It will bust clay targets on the 25 yard berm every time. My son shot it too, but he's still learning pistols. He was also too busy shooting his new 10/22 that he got for his birthday. I figure that's a pretty good 13th birthday present.

fatelk
02-10-2019, 03:14 AM
The more I read about single-action timing, the more I realize that mine is clearly out of time, although slightly. I haven't decided if it bothers me enough to try to figure out how to fix it, or if it really even needs fixing.

Texas by God
02-10-2019, 11:06 PM
I'll dig it out and try again. I had literally filed it away in the filing cabinet I keep shop pistols in. Thanks for the tip.

Tackleberry41
02-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Well with a traditional forcing cone, timing is critical. The heritage one, it could be pretty far out of time, and the bullets still go down the barrel without shaving. Its more of a funnel than forcing cone.

Traffer
02-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Well with a traditional forcing cone, timing is critical. The heritage one, it could be pretty far out of time, and the bullets still go down the barrel without shaving. Its more of a funnel than forcing cone.

That is an excellent observation. May as well call it the bore funnel. lol

fatelk
02-11-2019, 03:16 PM

That is true, but as I’ve found out, they don’t go down straight. To shoot accurately, timing is still critical. I’ve become convinced that the tumbling is a timing issue.

lead-1
02-13-2019, 12:21 AM
I bought my son one several years back and it shot OK, wasn't disappointed for the cost. A couple years later he took it to the range and and after a couple cylinders it started throwing round all over the target and he said it don't feel right, I shot it and the same thing. After looking it over real close we noticed the barrel was loose, I searched the net for issues and found that the barrels are press fit. Yup, the rear part is knurled and pressed into the frame, most common fix seems to be to coat the barrel end with high strength lock-tite and press it back together. If I ever actually do fix it I will let the lock-tite set and then drill a hole for a cross pin to make it more permanent.

Cloverdale
02-13-2019, 12:34 AM
For the price, did you really expect to be impressed with the Heritage...other than from a value standpoint? We have one that we are very pleased with considering what it costs...never had any issues and the accuracy is pretty decent.

Texas by God
02-22-2019, 09:02 PM
I did a rough wax cast of the throat um, er, funnel. Shown with a .309" 113gr for reference. I've decided to see if I can fix it myself. Down the project road a bit. The barrel unscrewed very easily; I think the loctite was the only thing keeping it tight. The barrel stub is not pictured- I previously cut it down to snub nose size. It will finish up around 4-3/4".https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190223/99e718c7f42e4b77f0b203f262c4c268.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190223/d595ecf910526bff45e806ac9771bf4c.jpg

Tackleberry41
02-23-2019, 04:07 PM
Probably only way to get a decent forcing cone, is to cut the barrel back and rethread. Be curious the results. I have a lathe, but not so good at cutting threads.

Texas by God
02-23-2019, 08:06 PM
We'll see how it goes. I've other projects to attend to first. Best thing is only $100 worth of gun to mess up:-)

Tackleberry41
02-24-2019, 02:23 PM
Thick as the barrel is, wonder if a liner would be alot easier?

fatelk
03-07-2019, 08:48 PM
OK, a little update for me. I have to eat a little crow, or at least revise my review of the Rough Rider revolver.

I bought it with low expectations. I bought it because it was a cheap gun to tinker with. I did not buy it instead of a quality gun. I knew the risk, so no big deal. I was surprised to find that it seemed to be a decent little gun, and a good value for the money.

I took it out again today to the range, and was surprised to see the front sight canted a little. I then realized that the barrel was loose in the frame! Once I removed the ejector rod housing, I could easily thread it completely off. I don't see any cracks or damage, it just came loose.

So, I looked up my receipt, and I bought the darn little thing brand new about 8 months ago. For curiosity sake, I called Heritage (actually Taurus) and they said that it was still under the one-year warranty, and all they needed was $50 for a shipping label. I told them no thanks, I'll fix it myself. From a quick online search, it appears that loose-barrel syndrome is common for these, and most people just clean, de-grease, and loc-tite the threads. I expect that should work fine and it will continue to be a good little plinker, but I'm not going to spend $50 to have them fix their own shoddy work.

I have to update my review from "Good value for the money" to "Shoddy, buy at your own risk".

rfd
03-07-2019, 08:57 PM
geez, loose barrel - that's something to keep in mind and check for. thanx for the post!

rking22
03-07-2019, 10:47 PM
Ejector rod as an anti rotate,, interesting design :groner:

Tackleberry41
03-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Well guess no need for special tools to get the barrel out then.

fatelk
03-09-2019, 05:30 PM
I went to a gun show this morning and ended up buying a replacement of sorts. I found an old H&R 922 for $150. I didn't go with the intention of buying anything but it caught my eye and I figured it might be worth trying out.

I'll still fix the Rough Rider, and I don't regret buying it, but I wouldn't buy another.

I'm kicking myself because I passed up an older Taurus .357 mag, full-size 6", for $250. I walked by it a half dozen times thinking what a good deal it was, and how I had no business buying another gun. I even left and my son and I went to Walmart down the road. 45 minutes later we drove by the show on the way home, and I convinced myself that I really did need it. I stopped and went back in to buy it, somehow knowing full well that it would be gone. Sure enough...

Windwalker 45acp
03-09-2019, 06:11 PM
I own one and have enjoyed it. It's a hundred dollar gun and since it's the only one hundred dollar gun I own I cannot really compare it with anything else.
It's killed several snakes and that's its primary role.

DaveTNC
03-10-2019, 12:12 AM
I picked up one of the Rough Rider 22LR only revolvers a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. No problems so far after several "bulk packs" of cartridges through it.

The first time I took it to the range I let my wife shoot it and she loved it. We ended up spending most of our range time that day with it. I couldn't get her to leave until we were out of 22LR ammo. :smile:

Texas by God
03-11-2019, 08:32 AM
My big mistake was shooting mine at a paper Target!

fatelk
03-13-2019, 01:34 PM
Well I got around to fixing mine. I degreased the barrel threads and frame, and used permanent thread locker. Considering that's all they would do if I sent it in, I didn't see the point in spending $50 shipping.

I was surprised at how loose the barrel to frame fit was. Not really "loose" in a general sense, but definitely not very tight. I was very careful to line up the front sight as best I could. I had the barrel in a padded vice and was tightening the frame by hand, and it was fairly easy to over-tighten it. That must just be the nature of the pot metal frame. We'll see how long this lasts!

I also had to do some tinkering with the other little .22 revolver I bought on a whim the other day (H&R 922). It looked fine as I looked it over at the show, but I can say that unless you really know your stuff, think twice before buying an old used revolver like this. It had some issues, but that's something for a different thread...

Tackleberry41
03-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Well I was looking green mountain for something to make a sleeve out of. Guess you have to pick what your going to shoot out of it. Being a 22mag/22lr would imagine they put the larger bore barrel in them. A proper 22lr barrel would be more accurate.

rfd
03-14-2019, 08:55 AM
in long hindsight, the heritage is no more than a dangerous toy gun, due to it's aggregate minute-of-watermelon accuracy at any reasonable shooting distance.

for most it'll be a waste of money that's better spent elsewhere.

fatelk
03-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Mine was actually very accurate, before the barrel came loose. I could consistently shoot 2”-3” groups at 25 yards, from a rest. It really surprised me for such a cheap gun.

tecdac
03-29-2019, 04:45 PM
I would save up and buy a used Ruger Single Six.

Tazman1602
03-29-2019, 04:56 PM
As I stated previously I had a $99 Heritage and sent it in to have a mag cylinder fitted -- it was not a "drop in". I have since gotten it back with a repair bill. Gun was two or three years old and had been gathering dust because it *wasn't" a Single six, Frontier Scout, etc. For $35 they said they'd fit the cylinder so what the heck, only had $99 into it +$35 for mag cylinder +$35 for fitting cylinder. They told me to send entire gun with standard 22 cylinder installed and they would fit that also.

Upon return -- zero extra charges over and above the original $35 fitting fee, they replaced barrel, hammer, trigger, and a few springs. I now have a 22/22 mag to carry in 4-wheelers and don't have to worry about beating up a pristine Ruger or Colt. Dang thing even shoots pretty well with both. For a beater gun, I really can't complain....YMMV

ART

PS -- Heritage IS now owned by Taurus....

Drm50
03-29-2019, 05:35 PM
There is always exceptions to everything. I have had cheap guns that shot out of their paygrade but they are exceptions. My policy is if I want a beater is to look for a quality piece that is a beater. To me a gun that isn't accurate is useless.