PDA

View Full Version : Casting for a Ruger Old Army

The_Baron
12-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Other than round balls, any of you guys casting for the Old Army? I want to buy a mould and I am looking for input. I am looking to maximize power as I will use itas a secondary gun during hunting season and will use it on some tough wild boar.

StarMetal
12-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Well you posted just in time. Garry James just did a boar hunt with the Ruger Old Army and he used the Lee conical hollowpoint, which has been replaced with the Lee roundnose, and he used it over the powder I use...40 grs of Hodgdon's Triple Seven for a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps. So there you go...oh, they took more then one boar and on one boar the bullet passed thru the boar going thru both shoulders. The story is in the lastest Guns & Ammo.

Joe

The_Baron
12-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Trip 7 is all I use. So what you are saying is the mould in the article is discontinued?

The newer mould might work better with the Ruger's ram.

I am seriously thinking of sending my cylinder off to be deepened by Dave Clement. If so, I am hoping to get more than 40 grains of 777 in there.

StarMetal
12-03-2005, 08:31 PM
The hollow point version of the Lee mould was discontinued, but Mr. James said he felt the replacement round nose would probably was a better bullet.

Joe

PS ... 40 grs of 777 is plenty enough. I've shot 200 gr swc's and 255 gr swc long colt bullets to 1200 to 1300 fps without modifying the cylinder. I'd leave it alone if I were you. If you want more power get a 44 mag or Ruger 45 Long colt and load it up.

Joe

Dick Dastardly
12-03-2005, 10:29 PM
For anyone interested, I have developed a mold for the Ruger Old Army based on the original LEE conical design. It has a .452" rebated heal and a single huge lube grove. It weighs around 210 grains and I've been very happy with the way they fly when cast out of WW metal. I lube/size 'em to .454 and they go into the chambers with a nice tight interference fit and never back out under recoil. There's no need for cookies, wads or other lube. Crossfire is effectively eliminated by the huge lube grove filled with a good BP lube.

I've shot hard cast bullets out of the ROA via the Kirst Konverter cylinder in the form of 45 Colt. They perform very well and the ROA can sure take the pressure.

I can be reached at:

rrhody@spwl.net

Hope this helps.

DD-DLoS