PDA

View Full Version : Remington or CCI Caps

lead chucker
01-03-2019, 01:42 AM
Hey guys. Im going to order a Lyman Great Pains rifle 54 cal. Any one had better luck with one or the other? Looks like they will be #11.

jcren
01-03-2019, 01:49 AM
Love cci primers but had nothing but fits with the 2 tins of #11's i tried. Remingtons worked fine for me.

GWarden
01-03-2019, 08:30 AM
jcren
Any thoughts on what caused your problem with the CCI. I have used the CCI's and experienced no problems.
bob

BigAlofPa.
01-03-2019, 08:50 AM
I use CCI caps on my muzzleloader. They all Have gone bang.

jcren
01-03-2019, 08:59 AM
jcren
Any thoughts on what caused your problem with the CCI. I have used the CCI's and experienced no problems.
bob

This was years ago, so may have been a bad batch, but 1 in 4 or 5 would not go bang on the first strike. Was using em on an early cva inline and a Hawken of some sort(Hawken belonged to my father in law) and both had issues. Both cans were bought at the same store so may be a fluke.

charlie b
01-03-2019, 10:09 AM
I like RWS best. I had trouble with Rem caps. Frequently the primer component would fall out of the cap when still in the tin. I also think they were a bit 'weaker' than the RWS. I've used RWS since I first started BP shooting in the 70s. I used CCI a long time ago without issue but have always gone back to RWS.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

bob208
01-03-2019, 10:15 AM
I have used cci and Remington without problems. I do like rws the best though. I would suggest you get a hot shot nipple when you get the rifle. it made a great improvement in mine. so much so that I use them in all my rifles now.

Hickok
01-03-2019, 10:22 AM
RWS are the best if you can find them. Just my experience.

evoevil
01-03-2019, 10:27 AM
I use Remington with no issues

ShooterAZ
01-03-2019, 10:32 AM
I use both Remington and CCI, depending on availability. I prefer the Remington as they seem to fit better, for me anyway.

FergusonTO35
01-03-2019, 10:45 AM
I would use musket caps, if possible. 'Specially if you are going to try subs in it.

Nobade
01-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Love cci primers but had nothing but fits with the 2 tins of #11's i tried. Remingtons worked fine for me.I've had guns that didn't like those. Turns out that they were too tight on the nipple. A little polishing by spinning it in a drill press and using a flat stick with sandpaper loosened the fit enough to get them to work fine.

arcticap
01-03-2019, 11:29 AM
RWS caps are slightly too tall to fit in my TC Clear View capper, so it's usually always Remington or CCI's.

They both seem to work equally well.

One time I bought a tin of Remington in a sealed clam pack at a Walmart and less than half of the tin was full.
I believe that caps like Winchesters are also made by CCI and relabeled, same as the old CVA Hot Flash caps were.
They both have that distinctive CCI orange tinted primer material.

CCI also makes magnum #11's along with RWS.

rodwha
01-03-2019, 01:25 PM
My Lyman Deerstalker has eaten everything it’s been fed. However I’ve read with revolvers that the CCIs tend to fragment causing jams, and I’ve seen the Rems have their compound fall out, though Rem #10s are all I’ve found to work on my revolvers, though my ToTW nipples state they are designed specifically for CCI #11s (standard non magnum), which are hard to find locally.

gunhawk
01-03-2019, 08:57 PM
I use CCI #11 on TC Hawken .54 caliber. Have always had good luck. They fit well, a nice snug fit, always work. Some tins of them I have had around for over 20 years still work fine, so evidently they store well, too.

rodwha
01-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Oh, I have to include that the Rem’s have ignited both Pyrodex and Triple 7 rather easily. The Pyrodex (both P and RS) through the rifle and the T7 mostly through both revolvers. No need for magnum or musket (which I read are horrible) caps. For many years now the Rem caps claim a 40% hotter ignition or some such. How that measures to a magnum cap is beyond me.

lead chucker
01-04-2019, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I have a Friend going to Anchorage will see if he can pick me up some at Cabelas if they have any. I will take what I can get. Cant get them in the little town I live in. Have to take a boat or fly to get out of here. The price you pay to live in paradise I guess.

tomme boy
01-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Beware of the new CCI Musket caps. They are marked as "Reenactment Use ONLY" They are less power than a #11. Find RWS if you can or use #11 MAG primers. Do not use the CCI Musket caps.

contendernut
01-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Do they still make the RWS? I looked for some a while back but couldn’t find any

Rick Hodges
01-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Do they still make the RWS? I looked for some a while back but couldn’t find any

Midsouth lists them in their website. I settled on RWS a long time ago. I didn't like how I had to pinch CCI to keep them on the nipple of my sidelocks (CVA and Lyman). I have not purchased any new in 10 years.

FergusonTO35
01-08-2019, 04:51 PM
Beware of the new CCI Musket caps. They are marked as "Reenactment Use ONLY" They are less power than a #11. Find RWS if you can or use #11 MAG primers. Do not use the CCI Musket caps.

Huh, seriously? I guess I better stop using my dwindling supply of CCI "US MUSKET CAPS" for practice!

tomme boy
01-09-2019, 01:14 AM
If they are the older ones hang onto them. If they are the newer ones then blast away. They will say right on them for "reenactment use only"

Did you get the sights?

rodwha
01-09-2019, 12:06 PM
I’ve seen others complain about the musket caps being just for reenacting as well.

OverMax
01-09-2019, 01:43 PM
When I did use #11s. I always purchased CCI #11 >Magnum caps. Over time I bought one case: CCI package of a 1000.
Still have a few un-opend tins left of that 1000 purchase. And I recall I have 5-6 tins of un-opened RWS too.

I have never purchased Remington #11 caps} Nope not ever.

FergusonTO35
01-09-2019, 08:49 PM
If they are the older ones hang onto them. If they are the newer ones then blast away. They will say right on them for "reenactment use only"

Did you get the sights?

They are the older caps. Got the sights, exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!

beemer
01-10-2019, 12:30 PM
The last Remington I bought ( long ago) had a foil lining, I had to dig it out of the nipple. CCI worked fine but RWS worked best.

Back in the 70's I used CVA caps, no liner over the compound, loose compound dust in the box, dirty and rusted everything within hundred yards but it was all I could find at the time.

arcticap
01-10-2019, 01:25 PM
The last Remington I bought ( long ago) had a foil lining, I had to dig it out of the nipple. CCI worked fine but RWS worked best.

Back in the 70's I used CVA caps, no liner over the compound, loose compound dust in the box, dirty and rusted everything within hundred yards but it was all I could find at the time.

I found some of those old CVA's at a gun show.
They were made in Italy out of stiff brass and came in a black plastic container.
According to the label, these were imported after CVA moved from Connecticut to Georgia.
CVA's later "Hot Flash" caps were made by CCI.

I've also found each of these below.
The Fiocchi/Alcan caps may be the same as the CVA's, but since I never opened them I really don't know for sure.
But I was told that the Fiocchi caps were very hot just like the old CVA's were, so I suspect that they might be the same.

Buzzard II
01-10-2019, 04:46 PM
I like RWS. Most of the people I shoot with use them. Musket & Pistol. Good shooting.
Bob

Geezer in NH
01-19-2019, 12:12 AM
Another vote for RWS