PDA

View Full Version : Dillon trimmer

Avery Arms
10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
I have several thousand rifle casings to size/trim and more on the way, would a dillon sizing die and power trimmer be a good investment?

I have never had a chance to use one...looks like a real time saver though.

I'm trimming mostly 223 and 308 in bulk, everything else I am happy to trim on my lyman manual.

PP

cohutt
10-08-2008, 06:27 AM
I use one for 223, have it installed on a dedicated toolhead for my 650. Very fast and consistent. With the casefeeder I can trim several thousand in one afternoon without really hustling. With mini shop-vac attached to suck out the curls of brass trimmings it is noisy but earplugs shut it all out fine.
Leaves a flat cut with no bevel or chamfer at all- this works fine for most of my applications but with 69smks i have to champfer and debur the case mouth or i see a little copper shaved off the jackets.

Meatco1
10-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I've been using mine for close to 20years. It is a fairly easy task to run thousands of cases through in a day, as it will trim them as fast as you can load them.

Richard

shooterg
10-09-2008, 03:34 PM
If you're going to load any match ammo, consider the Giraud or Gracey trimmers. VERY fast once set up, and you get a trimmed and chamfered case mouth. I love my Gracey, but if the Giraud had been available when I got it.....

Meatco1
10-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I've tried the Giraud, and much prefer the Dillon myself.

Richard

Russ in WY
10-10-2008, 12:04 AM
I've also used both & will go with the Giraud. I like the clean finished case,with nice bevel on inside & outside of neck. Sold a Gracey & moved to the Giraud , no comparison. My .02 Russ.