PDA

View Full Version : RCBS hand primer and Imperial Sizing Die Wax.......hmmmmm....

trails4u
01-01-2019, 06:49 PM
My RCBS hand primer (90200) gets cranky sometimes...…the handle gets hard to squeeze, it develops little clicks and rough spots in the pull, etc. Last night....I tired of fighting with it, so I took it completely apart, cleaned all the internal parts and gave everything a very light rub down with Imperial. Put it all back together, and holy cow! I'm guessing it takes half the effort to seat a primer now!! :) I've only fed 200 through it since, but thought I'd share, as for me it took a good tool to an even better place. I'm hoping the Imperial will stay put and hold up for a while......time will tell.

Trails.

tazman
01-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Very good idea.

TNsailorman
01-01-2019, 08:03 PM
I had not thought about using Imperial Wax in that application. Good thinking. I might try it on my RCBS. james

trails4u
01-01-2019, 08:11 PM
I've also used Carmex lip balm (the harder stuff in the tin, not the tube) on the turrets for my lee press.....really smooths that out pretty good too. I've tried dry lock lube for similar applications....but it didn't seem to make much difference. I think I like the wax based stuff.....it seems to stay put pretty good and not run out like an oil might.

Shawlerbrook
01-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Very good idea !

GhostHawk
01-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Your brilliant! I have 2, one setup for small, one for large. The small one is older, and is getting to where it needs more force.

You can bet that both will get the treatment.

Thank you!

country gent
01-02-2019, 12:42 AM
The imperial is a great lubricant for High force applications. Keep in mind it will trap and hold dust and crud, this includes and primer dust from unsealed primers. I have used it on priming tools links on presses, and in a bind it makes a good cutting lubricant when neck turning. Waxed based, the wax is the carrier for the lanolin and any oils in it.