PDA

View Full Version : Smith 686 Rear sight blade replacement

barnabus
12-31-2018, 09:24 AM
i have this 4 inch smith that shoots about 4 inches low with bullets averaging about 1200 fps with a 6 oclock hold at 25 yards.my current rear sight blade measures .146 with the rear sight adjusted all the way up. im not sure what size rear blade to buy to bring it up to be either 6oclock or POA, The next size up is .160,there is also a .190 available.Any idea what would be best?

bosterr
12-31-2018, 09:56 AM
That's a short sight radius and the .160 could be all you need. Are you equipped to replace or re-stake the nut on the windage screw? Possibly you could get both and try them before you re-install the nut? Is there any such thing as a longer elevation screw available?

AZ Pete
12-31-2018, 10:22 AM
https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

Heres a sight calculator, Brownells also has one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slughammer
01-01-2019, 11:21 AM
With a 6" sight radius that would be about .024 to bring impact up 4". Since your rear sight is jacked up all the way, you'll want to get a .190 blade assy to be back in the adjustment range of the rear sight.

If you're still not sure, you can verify this by measuring the gap under the rear sight with a feeler gage. Shoot a group, crank the sight all the way down and see how much POI moved down compared to the sight move.