PDA

View Full Version : 44 Special for Revolver and Puma

jma1965
10-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I need to load 44 specials for both Revolver and a Rossi Puma Lever Action. Is there one load that will function in both without leading the barrel ? I have 2400 Alberts 230gr SWC-HP bullets too use up. Need these for SASS and CASS Shooting. Have had very little experience with loading cast bullets.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2a8ovgk.jpg

EDK
10-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Get some of the freebie reloading pamphlets from your reloading supplier. The Hodgden booklet is excellent. I use a lot of TITEGROUP in 357 and 44 magnum SASS/general purpose loads.

What make are your revolvers for SASS/CAS....there's one limiting factor. A Colt clone won't take the loads an Original Size RUGER VAQUERO will.

IIRC, the Alberts bullets are very soft swaged lead...You probably can't push them too fast, but that isn't a problem in SASS/CAS.....they're kinda infamous for less than powerful loads for that discipline.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Calamity Jake
10-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Load some dummy rounds(4-5) to try in the rossi for function, if it is chambered for 44 mag it may not feed the 44sp round and or SWC bullet.
Try 4.0 to 4.5 grains Red Dot, should work pretty good for both in special or mag casees.

Scrounger
10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
That question brings up a little oddity that has puzzled me for some time. The .44 Magnum and .44 Special have the same SAAMI spec overall length, 1.615". We know the case length is different, the bullet is just seated deeper in the .44 Magnum's case (no pun intended). Ergo, the combustion chamber of the two cartridges are the same size. Therefore, assuming the cases are constructed equally strong (ease of manufacture), it would seem to be no problem in loading Magnum loads in Special cases. Is this correct?

felix
10-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Yes, correct. ... felix

MT Gianni
10-08-2008, 11:28 PM
I need to load 44 specials for both Revolver and a Rossi Puma Lever Action. Is there one load that will function in both without leading the barrel ? I have 2400 Alberts 230gr SWC-HP bullets too use up. Need these for SASS and CASS Shooting. Have had very little experience with loading cast bullets.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2a8ovgk.jpg

These appear to be swedged plain base bullets. My experience dates from years ago and I would not try to push those boolits very fast. You may add Lee liquid Alox to them if they lead. I believe that leading has a greater cause in bullet fit and lube than in which powder and speed. Gianni

454PB
10-09-2008, 12:41 AM
The Puma is a strong action and should not be of concern for any reasonable .44 special load. The revolver may be, depending on what it is. My .44 special is a Taurus 441, and has VERY thin chamber walls. I use mild loads in it. I was gifted a bunch of swaged .44 bullets and have used them in .44 special loads. They lead in the Taurus because it has .433 cylinder throats, but work well in reduced .44 magnum loads in my tighter guns.

Try shoving one of those Alberts bullets through the throats of your revolver. If they fall right through, you may have leading problems. For the Puma, either try some and check for leading, or slug the barrel.

I'm of the opinion that short brass should not be fired in long chambers.....i.e. .38 special in .357 magnum, .44 special in .44 magnum, .45 Colt in .454 Casull. Lots of people do it and have no problems, but I have seen problems. I use the longer brass and reduce the load.

Frank46
10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Albert's bullets, haven't heard or seen any in at least 15 years. try to keep the coating intact as much as you can. Or do the LLA thing. I had some 44special ammo loaded by federal. Had it for years and thought I'd never get a 44 cal anything. Ended up with a ruger redhawk. Took a small artists paint brush and coated every section of exposed lead I saw. Almost pure lead, easily scratched by a fingernail. Shot all 50 of them. Not one speck of leading. Little smoke thats all. One of these days will get me a 44 special revolver. If I remember it was said not to run their bullets not much over 800-850 fps. They also had a schutzen plinker in 30 cal and also a 400 grain for 45/70. Frank

jma1965
10-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all the input, I am using a Colt Revolver, was wondering if I should use a paper patch ?

jma1965
10-12-2008, 01:51 PM
That question brings up a little oddity that has puzzled me for some time. The .44 Magnum and .44 Special have the same SAAMI spec overall length, 1.615". We know the case length is different, the bullet is just seated deeper in the .44 Magnum's case (no pun intended). Ergo, the combustion chamber of the two cartridges are the same size. Therefore, assuming the cases are constructed equally strong (ease of manufacture), it would seem to be no problem in loading Magnum loads in Special cases. Is this correct?

I thought they made(Lawyer Designed) the cases different so 44Mag cartridges would not fit in a 44Spec arm.....

Echo
10-12-2008, 02:26 PM
The cases ARE different, the Mag case being so much longer that it butts into the shoulder in the chamber of a 44 Spcl and thus won't fully chamber.

Scrounger
10-12-2008, 02:44 PM
The cases ARE different, the Mag case being so much longer that it butts into the shoulder in the chamber of a 44 Spcl and thus won't fully chamber.

That's true, and for the reason stated. But for loading and shooting in a gun chambered for the .44 Magnum, the cases can be loaded interchangeably. They should feed in a carbine equally well which was the gist of the original post.

unclebill
11-23-2008, 08:43 PM

IS THIS TRUE?
i love to load my .44 with pussycat loads.
can i use a min. 44.mag load in a .44 special case?

jhrosier
11-23-2008, 10:20 PM
...can i use a min. 44.mag load in a .44 special case?

Only if you have a way of living forever, or plan to be buried with them.
What would happen, years from now, when someone fired a heavy load in an old .44Spl. SAA?:groner:

Jack

missionary5155
11-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Good evening No you CANNOT !!! If you all are reading the above info.. STOP a moment and think...
# 1 If I load Lyman #429244 into a 44 Special case using the regular crimp groove the overall cartridge is goig to measure about 1.55. If I load the SAME boolit into a 44 mag case it is going to measure about 1.68. I am looking at Lyman Cast Handbook 1973 pages 162 and 164.
# 2 Check your loading manuals... I have several here and NONE say you should be loading 44Special and 44 Magnum alike. With the same above boolit Lymans says Max load 44 Special with Unique is 7 grains. 44 Magnum the STARTING Unique load is 8.5 up to 12 Grains.
You put 12 grains of Unique into a 44 Special and you may just ruin your revolver and shooting hand...

unclebill
11-23-2008, 10:41 PM
i plead temporary insanity.
sorry bout that...