PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks

abunaitoo
12-31-2018, 06:38 AM
New Years eve is tomorrow.
Here, you need to buy a $35 permit to buy a 5000 string.
The period to buy was only 5 days.
No refund on unused permits.
Most places ran out of fireworks by the third day.
All aerials have been banned.
Since Thanksgiving, aerials have been going off all over the place.
Once in a while a string will go off.
Black market is thriving.
Fireworks were a part of religious tradition for the Asian here.
Now we have to pay for a permit to practice part of our religion.
Once a year we want to celebrate.
They want to ban Fireworks, but want to legalize pot.
How dumb is that???
How is it in your place????
Friend went to Vegas, and said you could set off Fireworks all years round.
Is that true?????

Mr_Sheesh
12-31-2018, 06:45 AM
Here, ALL fireworks are banned. Pretty sure anything over party poppers is "Verboten". Dang, I feel just so FREE when they ban everything >.>

Pot, here, is free to buy, but if someone grew their own w/o a medical card that's a felony (And it's still verboten federally.) Not my thing, but I've known how to make wine / beer since I was a teen, so I'm covered pretty well. :p

And if I wanted something in fireworks I could zip down to one of the local Indian Reservations and buy it, pretty sure some loud stuff's available there!

May just stay home and work on problem solving instead of spending money on loud stuff, and go make loud noises at a Range later :)

Wayne Smith
12-31-2018, 09:34 AM
All illegal here - suburbia and fireworks just don't really go together very well. Ignoring all the injuries stupid people do to themselves (hopefully only themselves!).

rl69
12-31-2018, 09:43 AM
I don't realy keep up with it.I think we have 5 holidays that we can buy fireworks. As far as I know we can pop them whenever we want.(short a burn ban or city ordinance prohibiting) fireworks are not the same as they were when I was a kid,some are tamed way down,while there are things we could have only dreamed about when we were having bottle rocket wars :)

LUCKYDAWG13
12-31-2018, 09:48 AM
In some states it is legal to buy fireworks could you use a Thunder Mug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoxiNspIxtc

jmort
12-31-2018, 10:56 AM
Year round here
The most freedom of any state I know of

Stewbaby
12-31-2018, 11:53 AM
No regs in Mississippi in general though some cities do have noise ordinances. I just hate blowing up money that could go to reload or milsurps.

Alabama and Tennessee seem to have fireworks stores along the interstate open all year long best I know.

smoked turkey
12-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Do you think virtually the same "signal cannon" could be made with say a .54 cal muzzleloader with 70 gr of black or pyrodex powder with a bit of dry newspaper wadding, or a .54 over powder wad + some damp newspaper tamped over the charge. Set this off with a cap?

fatelk
12-31-2018, 05:31 PM
Anything that goes bang or leaves the ground is forbidden here too, but on the 4th or New Years the neighborhood is alive with big mortars.

I can maybe understand restricting some things in the summer time here in the Pacific Northwest, but with all the rain we get there’s really no forest fire danger here this time of year.

When I was a kid I loved fireworks. My grandparents would travel and bring us back a bunch of firecrackers. I would have fun for a week with a couple hundred firecrackers. Nowadays not so much, don’t care to spend money on such things. I can’t even give them to my kids to enjoy, living in town.

country gent
12-31-2018, 08:37 PM
As far as I know fireworks can be bought and owned but setting them off is illegal, though rarely enforced. Around here on New years most fire a fw shots in the air from their hunting guns. Probably more dangerous than the fireworks since that slug is coming down somewhere.

high standard 40
12-31-2018, 09:23 PM
When I was younger, I enjoyed fireworks. I now hate them with a passion. This has little to do with the actual fireworks and more to do with the people who use them. Please understand that I am speaking only as it relates to where I live. Here, there are few legal limits on purchase and use. But people here find ways to abuse their privilege. The noise continues all hours of the night making sleep all but impossible. The debris covers public roads and the private property of others. No effort is made to clean up their mess. I have had to run people off of my property who were shooting fireworks there without asking me if they could do so. I have had rockets bounced off my house. So, yep, I hate fireworks.....at least as they are abused around my house.

jdfoxinc
12-31-2018, 09:28 PM
In Co. If it leaves the ground or goes bang, it is banned.

It's going to be 12 deg F at 00:00. I'll be under the covers.

RU shooter
12-31-2018, 09:50 PM
Pa just recently made Ariel stuff legal after years and years . I've never had the desire to buy or set them off the neighbors always did that and got to see the "show" for free .

fatelk
12-31-2018, 11:06 PM
I don't mind the sound of fireworks into the late hours on the 4th, or midnight-ish on New Years. Even a day or two before and after is understandable. If I have to get up the next day and I'm trying to sleep it is a bit obnoxious, but I can put up with it a few days a year, just smile and remember when I was young and dumb myself.

What burns me are the dolts who are out setting them off at 2am a week before. I don't have much tolerance for that.

reddog81
12-31-2018, 11:09 PM
Fireworks were illegal in Iowa for decades but recently the law changed and allows selling for the 4th and for New Years. The fact that they were banned didn't really matter as you could drive a couple hours and get anything you want in MO, SD or a good variety of stuff in NE.

How do people get illegal fireworks into HI? It seems like that would be fairly difficult given its location.

Finster101
12-31-2018, 11:34 PM
In Florida they are illegal without an AG waiver which is free and on hand at every fireworks stand. It's amazing how many people with a 1/4 acre lots have bird issues.

HangFireW8
12-31-2018, 11:41 PM
How do people get illegal fireworks into HI? It seems like that would be fairly difficult given its location.

Private boats from Asia.

abunaitoo
01-01-2019, 02:53 AM
Fireworks were illegal in Iowa for decades but recently the law changed and allows selling for the 4th and for New Years. The fact that they were banned didn't really matter as you could drive a couple hours and get anything you want in MO, SD or a good variety of stuff in NE.

"How do people get illegal fireworks into HI? It seems like that would be fairly difficult given its location.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Drugs come in by the boat load.
Illegal animals come in all the time. Even fish!!!!
Can't figure how they bring live fish in.

Years back we had a caiman in a pond.
Keepers were wondering why the ducks were disappearing.
They never caught it, but a guy I know said his friend shot it.
He was asked by someone in the government to do it.
Spent three days, but he got it.
government denied any knowledge of what happened to it.

abunaitoo
01-01-2019, 03:03 AM
Must be close to midnight in the states.
Still early here.
Ate dinner, rested a while, and went outside to watch the free fireworks show.
Makes the government look so stupid.
Ban on aerials, but there going off all over the place.
Some really big ones. Nice.
Cat is sleeping. Not really bothering her.
We've been having "product displays" from Thanksgiving, so she kind of gotten use to it.
Rained a little earlier, but skies are clear now.
Really wish I had some to set off.
Would bring back memories of happier times in the good old days.

Skipper
01-02-2019, 03:09 PM
In some states it is legal to buy fireworks could you use a Thunder Mug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoxiNspIxtc

He scares the heck out of me, whacking it with that mallet.

MaryB
01-02-2019, 06:30 PM
Nothing that goes bang in MN or leaves the ground. But I am only 60 miles from SD and they sell everything so someone was launching mortars New Year Eve. I watched out the window. WAY to cold to be outside! My young and dumb days are long past LOL it was -10 and -40 windchill!

76 WARLOCK
01-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Wyoming is 100 miles away, so shortage of fire works here.

Echo
01-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Fireworks available in grocery stores and Costco here...

aap2
01-03-2019, 08:29 PM
New Years eve is tomorrow.
Here, you need to buy a $35 permit to buy a 5000 string.
The period to buy was only 5 days.
No refund on unused permits.
Most places ran out of fireworks by the third day.
All aerials have been banned.
Since Thanksgiving, aerials have been going off all over the place.
Once in a while a string will go off.
Black market is thriving.
Fireworks were a part of religious tradition for the Asian here.
Now we have to pay for a permit to practice part of our religion.
Once a year we want to celebrate.
They want to ban Fireworks, but want to legalize pot.
How dumb is that???
How is it in your place????
Friend went to Vegas, and said you could set off Fireworks all years round.
Is that true?????

Here in PA they recently changed the law to allow aerial fireworks such as consumer 1.75" shells, roman candles and smaller rockets. I recently visited Vegas and fireworks were for sale everywhere out in the desert and a few places allowed you to shoot them on site. I went to high school on Oahu (1960's) and had a lot of fun shooting the legal chinese firecrackers that were only a few bucks for a large brick. They were really loud and nothing like the reduced charge firecrackers sold today. On the day after the New Year celebration, the streets were littered with red paper from firecrackers.......good times

funnyjim014
01-05-2019, 11:44 PM
In WNY, fireworks have just became legal...as long as it don't leave the ground or go bang....but most people have been driving to PA and buying the good stuff for years. In PA it only legal to sell to out of state resident....what a scam

ghh3rd
01-06-2019, 11:09 PM
5 gal bucket with tight lid with rubber o-ring... couple of tables spoons calcium carbide and a cup of water. Small hole for 2’ length of fuse. Add ingredients close lid tightly, light fuse and car alarms will go off in one minute. Retrieve lid and repeat. :-P

No one used to bother us when we did it years ago... now it’s probably a felony. :-(

beagle
01-06-2019, 11:32 PM
Things must have really changed over there since I was at Schoffield Barracks. I'd go to Wahiwa or Mililani and load up and come back and we'd have "circle parties" with everyone cooking burgers, hotdogs with loads of beer and bags of firecrackers. They put all of us 1SGs from the 3/4 Cav in the same circle. Sometimes, we'd go all night. Recall my boys blowing up their mama's poinsettia hedge of beautiful red poinsettia's with fireworks. Looked like a picked chicken with all the blooms blown off. She was really mad at all us men./beagle

2wheelDuke
01-08-2019, 09:56 AM
Anything that explodes or flies is illegal here. If you've ever seen the movie "Joe Dirt" all the "good stuff" is illegal here.

So of course there's so many people blowing up the world that the police couldn't possibly start to enforce any of those laws.

Since about 95% of what was set of was illegal, it's amazing how much of a haze all that gunpowder left hanging over the area. And I didn't hear very many gunshots. But maybe I just couldn't hear them over my own. But I was at an actual gun range and fired into a purpose built berm.

rbuck351
01-13-2019, 07:07 PM
People ask why I live in podunk Montana. I can shoot in the yard whenever I want. I can buy the good fireworks and use them. Traffic is very light and the people are friendly and there are no building permits. For the most part I'm left alone to do as I wish so long as I don't step on others rights.

ghh3rd
01-14-2019, 02:43 AM
I was always a fireworks junkie when I was a kid, mostly bottle rockets and fire crackers. Then I was lucky to get to live in Japan from 13-16 years of age. The currency rate was 360 Yen per dollar back then, so that in addition to their fireworks already being cheap meant I was in fireworks heaven.

abunaitoo
01-14-2019, 04:42 AM
In WNY, fireworks have just became legal...as long as it don't leave the ground or go bang....but most people have been driving to PA and buying the good stuff for years. In PA it only legal to sell to out of state resident....what a scam

Seems like PA has the right idea.
Take advantage of stupid law across the border.

abunaitoo
01-14-2019, 04:56 AM
Growing up, the tradition was, the noise from the fireworks were to chase away the evil spirits accumulated during the year.
This way your would start the new year with no evil around the home.
It was part of some religions.
Now we have to pay for the right to practice that part of the religion.
I wounder what would happen if they charged people to pray and go to mass????
Being a dmacrat state, they can do anything they want here.