PDA

View Full Version : Lee Production Pot IV -- Not so Hot

August
10-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Literally.

Is there a way to work around the whimpy thermostat/element set-up in a Lee Production Pot IV???? I kinda like the size and configuration of the pot, but the lead does not get hot enough to cast bullets in a iron mould. It works marginally with my Lee Mould but could not get hot enough to cast long range bullets.

Any suggestions for improving its performance???

Thanks!!!!

cajun shooter
10-07-2008, 08:35 PM
August, Is it thye 4-20 you have? I have two and they both will reach 800 degrees with the stat set on about 71/2. I would consider sending it back or at least calling Lee

oneokie
10-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Have you cleaned the contacts of the thermostat?

Midway sells replacement thermostats and elements at a reasonable price.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-07-2008, 09:25 PM
With all the performance touted by lee on their products to include the casting equipment, no bullet caster should have to put up with some of these quirks and irregularities that turn up as complaints about difficulties in trying to get any of this equipment to work right. Its one thing to unplug the spout of a bottom pour pot-with a straightened paper clip held in a pliers; that could happen with any brand of pot. But incorrectly drilled nozzles, faulty thermostats and runaway drip problems are inexcusable. even if the price is low(er). If its something that is the result of sloppy quality control and it performs like one of the prizes that falls out of a box of Cracker jacks, then send it back and keep sending it back until they get it right...or get yor money back and buy someting better. Life is too short to lose time struggling with something that your hard earned dollars tried to buy and wasting that precious time in the process. As always its your call. LLS

imashooter2
10-07-2008, 09:45 PM
I had the identical problem. Here's the thread with the fix:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7204