PDA

View Full Version : pin grabber mould

44mag1
10-07-2008, 04:21 PM
would a pin grabber type of mould be feesable? I was thinking of the lee shotgun slug mould where the hollow part is the piece that has the saw tooth for the pin grabber style. A 44 or 45 would be fun.

missionary5155
10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
It sure would be a interesting item to experiment with... But any real advantage in knocking over pins ??? I personally do not think the work involved would show that much benefit.. unless you want to get into trying to "spin pins" on the table. But you could just hand cut the teeth on a couple and see how they fly and "Wack"... before going to the trouble of making the plug.

44mag1
10-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Im more interested to see if they would have any terminal preformance advantages on game. I would guess that they would yaw fairly quickly though.

Bent Ramrod
10-07-2008, 09:33 PM
You'd need some way to keep the pin grabber punch in the mould so you could pull it straight out and replace it securely. It couldn't be turned for releasing and locking the way a hollow point pin can.

44mag1
10-08-2008, 03:10 PM
the pin grabber punch could be where lee puts their hollow base tool for their shotgun slug moulds. then it wouldent have to rotate.

redneckdan
10-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I haven't had a problem using SWCs with a wide meplat. Pin grabbers were designed because FMJs tend to bounce off. Cast tends to punch a whole and stay with the pin in the case of a .45 ACP or blast through in the case of a .44mag

DanM
10-08-2008, 04:43 PM
The Lee 230TC boolit kills pins like a bush hog.

44mag1
10-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I think there is a bullet design that fits every application the normal person might encounter. But its always fun to try something new. Besides a pin grabber bullet just looks mean and nasty therfore leaving a good possibility of people wanting to buy the bullets and or moulds. And I would think they would tear up a jackrabit pretty good. especialy the attacking kind.
Does anyone think lee would make one of these as a special order?

hammerhead357
10-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't know about a single cavity mould for the pin grabber type bullet, but several years ago when I was having Wayne Gibbs cut several moulds for me, he related the story to me about having been contacted by the gentleman who designed the pin grabber bullet.

If I remember correctly the man wanted Wayne to cut 8 cavity moulds for the bullet. Wayne told me that he could not find a way to do this unless he used a three part mould. Now that is all I can recall about the conversation fwiw...

I think that it might be possible to design a sort of hollow point jagged nose plug for a single cavity mould but I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.....Wes

Muskrat Mike
10-12-2008, 10:28 PM
:confused: I'm lost! What's pin grabber mould?:confused:

44mag1
10-12-2008, 10:48 PM
i cant find a photo of one but they look like they have saw teeth on them

EDK
10-13-2008, 03:40 AM
For some reason, the name KAWSER comes to mind about these...didn't they modify some kind of 45 ACP hollow point to this "ferocious looking" design? Probably back in the late 70s or early 80s. IIRC.

The design is easy...execution not so easy. I'd use a 44 or 45 full wadcutter single cavity mold as the start. The nose pin could be cut somehow for the form of the teeth and then be set in the mold like a LYMAN hollow point plug. Cast the boolit, then remove it and the nose pin as a unit, separate boolit from nose pin and re-install in mold. You'd really have to want to shoot these bad boys 'cause it would take forever to run off a bunch of them.

I'd go for a BUCKSHOT hollow pointed full wadcutter for higher production and better effect on the target, but "YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON BEIN' COOL!"

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

PS I'll be 60 this week and I'm beginning to see a lot of old ideas get recycled. "Infinite number of people ....and limited number of ideas to play with!"