PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Brass Smith Ideal Reloading Press: Unboxing, Setup, Overview

castalott
12-29-2018, 10:19 PM
Lyman has a new press called "the Ideal'. I may have to have one of these and dedicate it to RCBS Ram prime. Cast iron, simple , sturdy...what's not to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJYHJUvxS-4

Taterhead
12-30-2018, 02:07 AM
Definitely looks to be a handy press

Conditor22
12-30-2018, 03:33 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7810350-Brass-Reloading-Orange/dp/B07C4SPS5T ----$200 -- it does look solid

for priming, I'd just use the Lee Breech Lock Reloader Press $30

I'm frugal

castalott
12-30-2018, 05:50 AM
I 'think' you can buy just the press for ~ $80 at Midway.... It's not light either...12+ pounds

I'm not a Lyman fanboy but someone there is trying to do good... 3 new presses at once...

dg31872
12-30-2018, 09:09 AM
I am curious about the turret model. Eight stations look interesting.

OS OK
12-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Wait until you try the brass smith powder dispenser...it's an outstanding measure.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/scales-measures/brass-smith-powder-measure.html

jonp
12-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Lyman Brass Smith Ideal: $100
Lee Breech Lock: $40
Lee Breech Lock Challenger: $100

Is there that great an advantage out of cast iron vs Aluminum for the average reloader to make the extra cost of the Lyman worthwhile? I've loaded, deprimed and sized an awful lot of ammo on the cheaper Lee with no signs of wear except some of the paint flaking off.

That Inline stand is sweet, though and thanks for pointing out gavintoobe. I'd not seen that channel and it's great.

sigep1764
12-30-2018, 11:28 AM
I love my Ideal press. Got it as a present so I could experiment with loading new calibers on the cheap before buying toolheads and conversion kits for the 550. I feel it is much more substantial than the lee presses set up at Graf's. No ram play, heavy, small footprint.

castalott
12-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Aluminum would be plenty strong and durable. But so is cast iron. I started on cast iron presses and just like them. But my 450s/550s are aluminum and plenty strong.

I have yet to find the perfect press for every job although a few are perfect at one or two particular jobs..[smilie=f:

HangFireW8
12-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Lyman Brass Smith Ideal: $100
Lee Breech Lock: $40
Lee Breech Lock Challenger: $100

Is there that great an advantage out of cast iron vs Aluminum for the average reloader to make the extra cost of the Lyman worthwhile? I've loaded, deprimed and sized an awful lot of ammo on the cheaper Lee with no signs of wear except some of the paint flaking off.

That Inline stand is sweet, though and thanks for pointing out gavintoobe. I'd not seen that channel and it's great.I can put a dial indicator on any press at the die station and measure the deflection, vertically and horizontally. On C, Turret, Aluminum and presses with quick change bushings, the die will rise and/or deflect more than with a cast iron "O" press with threads. What is more, the greater the variation in lever pressure, the greater the range of deflection.

Not opinion, objective measurement.

Accurate ammo can be loaded on the cheapest of presses. It is just easier to manage and minimize the range of, say, shoulder setback or COAL on the presses that flex less.

jonp
12-31-2018, 05:03 AM
I can put a dial indicator on any press at the die station and measure the deflection, vertically and horizontally. On C, Turret, Aluminum and presses with quick change bushings, the die will rise and/or deflect more than with a cast iron "O" press with threads. What is more, the greater the variation in lever pressure, the greater the range of deflection.

Not opinion, objective measurement.

Accurate ammo can be loaded on the cheapest of presses. It is just easier to manage and minimize the range of, say, shoulder setback or COAL on the presses that flex less.

Interesting. You "can" but have you? I'd be interested in the results and wonder if the deflection during normal reloading would occur or be enough to matter.

HangFireW8
01-01-2019, 12:43 AM
I have.

Does it matter? On one short action 308 rifle of mine, a COAL just .002" over SAAMI will not eject properly. That is less than half of the range of deflection values found on my worse press, now gone.

GARD72977
01-01-2019, 12:50 AM
Have not been impressed with modern lyman quality. The stuff they made years ago was nice

L Erie Caster
01-01-2019, 01:19 PM
I thought Lyman was done with that putrid orange color. Maybe that is just me.

HangFireW8
01-03-2019, 11:45 AM
Color is a highly personal matter. I don't care one way or another.

Lyman quality has been hit and miss for me. I'll get their cheap dies that do as well as expensive ones for dimensions, finish and being concentric. But yet the first 4500 I got the top and bottom were out of alignment by 1/4" or so.

I love their new stadium style case blocks.