PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog in a Ruger #1

Potsy
10-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I asked this on the single shot forum and thought this might draw a few more replies.
Will a Ranch Dog .460-350 work O.K. in a Ruger #1 .45-70?
I know the Ranch Dog has a wide front end and the Ruger has very little throat; but I really like the design and price of the mold.
All replies appreciated!

Bass Ackward
10-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Buy the mold. Learn to make it work.

gcf
10-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I recently sold a No.1-S in 45/70, that shot cast bullets great. I never fired any RD bullets in that rifle, but would guess that depending on sizing, alloy, & powder selection, you will be a happy camper.

W/ 300 - 405 grain, gas checked bullets ranging from 15 - 22BHN, I found that the slower then traditional IMR3031 produced the best groups. Some were truly outstanding.

I tried IMR4198, but aside from jacketed plinkers, never had much luck w/ it.

Suggest you size at .459" - .460", & use a good lube. If the cartridge chambers (bet it does) w/ the bullet seated to the crimp groove, you should be good to go - once you find your load.

One further suggestion. An awful lot is made of the Level #III 45-70 loads, possible to use in the No.1. Unless you are a regular glutton for punishment, I'd recommend you stick to Levels #I & #II, from Lee 2nd. Better accuracy, plenty of knock down, & less pain - for you and your rifle.

Just my $0.02 - your mileage may vary... ;=]