PDA

View Full Version : HiPoint carbine barrel that just won’t get clean!

ghh3rd
12-29-2018, 03:11 AM
I bought a HiPoint 4595 carbine just for fun after discovering that they are actually regarded well for the price.

The issue that I am having is really puzzling and frustrating me. Before using it the first time I cleaned the barrel with several patches soaked in Balistol, same way I have cleaned all of my new firearms. I didn’t inspect the barrel afterward before going to the range.

After 100 rounds of my HiTek coated boolits I cleaned and inspected the barrel. It was still very cruddy looking after my normal cleaning process. I then ran patch after patch soaked with Balistol and with Hoppes 9, and even pushed a brass bore brush with chore boy wrapped around it literally 100’s of passes and it still was cruddy inside.

I sent it to HiPoint and they said they replaced the barrel, and they sent several test targets back in the rifle box.

I’m heading to the range tomorrow and decided to clean and inspect the new barrel first and ran into the same issue. Looking through the barrel with a light it appears to have crud embedded that will not come off.

I have scoured the internet searching for any mention of this and haven’t found anything.

I’m used to seeing a shiny barrel after cleaning... anyone who has a HiPoint carbine... have you experienced anything like this?

Thanks

Lloyd Smale
12-29-2018, 06:50 AM
maybe try a couple dozen lapping bullets to smoothen it out. Your not going to get a mirror finished match grade barrel on a high point. Ive got a few cheap guns that lead. I find that usually after shooting them a couple jacketed bullets clean it out so I don't worry to much about it. Id even consider trying to shoot 50 jacketed bullet through it to smoothen things out and seeing if that helps. bottom line is I doubt high point builds guns with concern for cast bullets. 90 perecent of the people that buy them use factory ammo and if they go bang everytime for 300 bucks you got your moneys worth.

OS OK
12-29-2018, 08:54 AM
I think those dog gone bumps and chatter marks in the bore are the cause of that land laying down lead between the bad spot/area and on towards the muzzle. The cast swages a bit smaller at the bump/chatter marks and then allows gas cutting or blow by in that land. I dunnoh really, just wish the manufacturers would put out a non-flawed product...the money I give for a weapon works, why not the gun?

I have one .45ACP pistol barrel that has one land with chatter about 1/2 way down the barrel...it lays some kind of carbonized gunk or burned PC or even lead down the bore towards the muzzle but the funny thing is that it shoots pretty well and a bore brush and some #9 cleans it up fairly good.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Looking through the barrel with a light it appears to have crud embedded that will not come off.

I've owned a 40 cal HiPoint carbine and several HiPoint pistols. While the barrel bores on all of them, when visually inspected by the naked eye, looked roughly finished instead of finely finished like a nice S&W Revolver, they didn't look to have crud embedded in them?

I'd suggest what Lloyd mentioned, "Id even consider trying to shoot 50 jacketed bullet through it to smoothen things out and seeing if that helps".

But maybe what you think is crud, is just how HiPoint makes 'em? and quite possibly, shooting 20 boxes of J-words won't make it "look" much different. The shootin' and accuracy and actual amount of fouling is more important to me, than the "look".

GhostHawk
12-29-2018, 12:37 PM
A I like Dextron II or III for almost all firearm needs. Did a better job of removing lead than Hoppes or anything else I tried.

B I really like a tumble lube with 2% carnuba wax. Does AMAZING things for bores.

C If it was me, every week I'd go run 100 rounds of cast through it. Making sure the cast FITS. IE is big enough. Then clean it with a tight patch and a drop or 2 of ATF.

D Before looking down a bore run a clean DRY patch through it to remove any powder residue. This can fool you into thinking you have issues when you don't.

How does it shoot?

Texas by God
12-29-2018, 04:48 PM
If it shoots well I'd just shoot it and not clean it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gpidaho
12-29-2018, 05:03 PM
I've had a HP 40 S&W for a couple of years and yes, I have had problems with leading. Other than that the gun is very reliable. Just noticed a couple days ago that the instructions that came with the gun say "Jacketed bullets only" This has never stopped any of us before from shooting lead bullets but it does mean HP knows their barrels are a little rough. I'm going to shoot plated and see how that goes. Gp

Freightman
12-29-2018, 07:23 PM
I have a 45 carbine and have about 1000 rds through it (all PC cast) not cleaned it yet but bore looks good, I run a bore snake through it after each session.

Harter66
12-30-2018, 08:17 AM
I actually read the first 1800 posts in the now 4000+ HyTek thread . Probably it is the HyTek coating sticking to the barrel ..... There is a solvent that removes it but you'll have to sift through the first 10 or so pages of the HyTek thread for it .

I have a 4595 at my disposal also . It has been known to foul a little bit with naked cast but those were sized .453 to play nice with a Smith revolver left .454 it's no problem . Darrs lube does the job .

Have you tried a 0000 steel wool wrapped brush in the bore ?

I have a 429424 that was relieved to .448 . Paper patched it's perfect in 45 cal pistol dia barrels . A few of those , 100 maybe , down the clean bore with bright white ink friendly paper patches should do the job . Read the paper thread in the BP paper patch forum . It explains why the above is a lousy choice for long term use but good for this .
Of course you can always use the fine Clover lapping compound on naked cast for 10 or fewer shots too .
The paper will go from fire ball to a white/grey cloud to visible bits and pieces to actual strips as it removes the rough places .

ghh3rd
12-30-2018, 03:43 PM
I am going to clean it well in my usual manner and then will JP paste it. Think I’ll PC the boolits for this carbine and if it shoots fine all is good. Fun gun to shoot.

Bigslug
12-31-2018, 12:44 PM
Brownell's Double Tuff bore brushes are your friend!

However, I will second that you aren't likely to be getting one of Krieger's finest match tubes on a Hi Point. Sounds like you've got high spots and low spots that a handful of fire-lapping rounds would help level out, but if it runs reliably, groups decently, and only gets to a certain point of nasty and goes no further, why lose sleep over it?

ghh3rd
12-31-2018, 04:18 PM
Correct 8-)

lar45
12-31-2018, 08:44 PM
For cleaning out hard fouling I've found that Ed's Red works much better than Hoppes no9. I use a bronze bore brush with a soaked patch over it. I think that it helps to scrub out the nooks and crannies.
I don't use Hoppes much anymore, although The wife has been known to put a dab behind each ear to get my attention ;)

sghart3578
12-31-2018, 09:45 PM
I had similiar concerns with my 9mm Hi Point. It always shot well but I am used to seeing barrels look a certain way.

I gave it to my son. He put a scope on it. He dings the plates at all distances routinely with my cast reloads, 124 gr LRN, sized .356", loaded over 5.4 gr of A #5.

I asked him "How often do you clean that rifle?"

He gave me the same look he used to give me as a kid when I asked him if he had finished his homework.

Steve in N CA

GhostHawk
12-31-2018, 09:56 PM
I have 3, technically, I have yet to clean one. Well I sorta cleaned the used 9mm when I got it. Single patch with Dextron 3 down the bore. Scrubbed out the action with some q-tips with the same lube.

That's it.

Shoot it till it significantly loses accuracy. That's my motto.

Conditor22
12-31-2018, 11:00 PM
I heard Hickok45 mention not to mix ballistol with oil, I don't know if that is the culprit. You could wrap the treads from a brass/copper scrub pad around your wire brush and see if that helps.

This will get any HiTek residue out of the barrel
https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-N-methyl-2-pyrrolidinone-N-Methyl-Pyrrolidone-Stripper/dp/B00H7JTQXO

reddog81
12-31-2018, 11:18 PM
I shoot powder coat cast through my 4595 and don't have any problems with it, however I don't clean the barrel until it shines. I stop cleaning once crud stops coming out which is after 2-3 patches. The barrel still looks a little "dark" but it works OK.

flyingmonkey35
01-01-2019, 02:10 AM
maybe try a couple dozen lapping bullets to smoothen it out. Your not going to get a mirror finished match grade barrel on a high point. Ive got a few cheap guns that lead. I find that usually after shooting them a couple jacketed bullets clean it out so I don't worry to much about it. Id even consider trying to shoot 50 jacketed bullet through it to smoothen things out and seeing if that helps. bottom line is I doubt high point builds guns with concern for cast bullets. 90 perecent of the people that buy them use factory ammo and if they go bang everytime for 300 bucks you got your moneys worth.Exactly zero firearm manufacture make guns for cast or reloaded bullets. Every one says it voids the warranty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk