PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Model 15 S&W Project

Jkrem
12-27-2018, 10:44 PM
I’ve been wanting a K frame Smith, and could not pass up this old beauty. I picked her up today for $279, and hiding under some crud and patches of surface rust is a nice old pistol with probably 50% of the original finish. Sn is K164xxx. This is a local police department trade in, and I am amazed how tight the fit is, the smoothness of the function, and the quality of the machining. Absolutely zero cylinder endshake. From a SN list I found, it looks like it was assembled in 1952. I hope to shoot it tomorrow, weather permitting, and need to find the proper grips to replace the nasty Pacmyr rubber one that it came with. I understand I need a set with diamonds on the sides of the grips, I would appreciate it if anyone has a similar timeframe pistol and can confirm that. 232809232810232811232813

shooting on a shoestring
12-27-2018, 11:02 PM
Ah, nice find. Yep I’ve got a soft place in my heart for old K-frames. I couldn’t have left that one either. A long action M&P with adjustable sights. Nice. I’ll bet it’ll shoot boolits where it’s pointed.

If it was mine, or in my hands, I’d pop the side plate off, give her a bath and change the oil.

Closest one I have is an M&P from 1945 in 32-20. It has diamond stocks. I’ll bet a look through the Smith and Wesson big book could answer your question. Mine is about a week away from me right now or I’d have a look for you. Maybe someone else can beat me to it.

Hope you get to give her a try soon. Those are good’urns.

SNDBGGR1484
12-28-2018, 12:41 AM
Per Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 4th Edition serial number K136691 to K175637 were made in 1952.

rintinglen
12-28-2018, 03:23 AM
Back in the 80's, when the LASO and LAPD traded in their M-15's I bought a bunch of them at 99-169 dollars ea and resold them at a 10-15 dollar profit to Security Guards and the like who needed quality firearms but couldn't afford the 300 bucks a new one would cost. I regret that I did not keep one for myself, though I have an M-66, and an M-10 from that era that I did manage to hang onto. These are excellent guns, and typically in good to great mechanical condition.
You did good to buy it and will have a lot of shooting fun. IME, the 38 special in a K frame revolver is the best choice going for a reloader. Brass is not as cheap as it once was, but it is as easy to reload as ever and there are tons of molds out there.

Tracy
12-28-2018, 08:46 AM
Nice find. Those pre-model number K frames are great revolvers.

Thumbcocker
12-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Pinned and recessed k frames are pure art.

Char-Gar
12-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Ah, nice find. Yep I’ve got a soft place in my heart for old K-frames. I couldn’t have left that one either. A long action M&P with adjustable sights. Nice. I’ll bet it’ll shoot boolits where it’s pointed.

This pistol was named "Combat Masterpiece" before the change over to model numbers and it is more than just an M&P with adjustable sights. The S&W peope put allot of thought into this pistol to make it the premier police pistol of it's day. The barrel has a taper to it, that allows the pistol to come free of the leather in just a short pull. The barrel has a rib that allows the front sight to be lower. The sight rib and rear sight were serrated and matte to prevent glare. The action was the newer short action and not the long action with it's sight blocking hump back hammer.

The pre-15 models are not rated for +P ammo, so milder loads are the order of the day.

Some years ago, I bought a NIB 1957 vintage Model 15 and it is a grand pistol. The best 4" 38 Special ever made, at least in my not so humble opinion. Here she is.

I also include a photo of my 1956 Colt Trooper which was it's head to head competitor for the high end service pistol market. The Trooper was little more than a 4" barrel version of the Colt Officers Model Match. Both the Colt and the Smith 15 are the nee plus ultra, for those of us who are over the top 38 Special fans.

Of course, the service pistol market changed when Bill Jordan and Smith and Wesson came out with the Combat Magnum, a K frame in 357 Magnum a much lighter and more portable than the previous 357 Magnum revolvers by either Smith or Colt. For fun, here is my 1966 Model 19 as wel.

condorjohn
12-28-2018, 02:23 PM
The Mod 15 (Combat Masterpiece) was the issue sidearm for USAF Aircrew. I was never actually issued one but had to qualify with annually. So they have a place in my heart.

The one I have is a -2. When I shoot it I put these black plastic grips on it. Found them at a gun show, 232841very comfortable.

Jkrem
12-28-2018, 05:25 PM
I’m in love. I bought some Ballistol this morning and re-cleaned the whole pistol. Even took off the side plate after watching the proper technique on YouTube. Pistol looks entirely different, the bore is now pristine. Amazing what Ballistol got off of a gun I had just cleaned with Hoppes #9! I had 12 rounds of 38Spl loaded with 358311 bullets over 4.3 grains of Unique and got this group at 10 yards. Going to try powder coating some of these bullets and get loading!! Thanks for the comments and help here.232858232859

Der Gebirgsjager
12-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Here's mine! Grips are Altamont.

Texas by God
12-28-2018, 09:48 PM
My idea of a perfect DA revolver. My wife likes her m67 too!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181229/2608925bca12b6d840d50a144cdbeede.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

shooting on a shoestring
12-29-2018, 12:04 AM
Yep you’re right Char-Gar. I thought the first pic showed the hammer spur at the top of the hammer. But on a second look, the other pics show the spur mid-hammer. Yep short action. Actually I prefer the short actions. But I do get along fine with my mid thirties M&P in 38 Spl and my mid forties 32-20. But those K-Frames are the apex of the revolver curve.

rintinglen
12-29-2018, 02:33 AM
If that was the only handgun you had, you would still be well armed. That cleaned up really nice. And it shoots good, too!

Papercidal
12-29-2018, 11:36 AM
The only thing better than a old k frame is a old k frame with usable sights.

Petrol & Powder
12-29-2018, 11:43 AM
A 4" K-frame chambered in 38 Special is an amazing tool.

crankycalico
01-01-2019, 05:16 AM
any 4-6" barreled medium to full size revolver in 38 special is an amazing friend to have.

beagle
01-01-2019, 11:27 PM
I have one of the old CA surplus guns and two Model 18s. I love 'em all. Carried a Model 15 in VN as a "go to" sidearm in VN and all through my Army career. We still had them in the Army when I retired in 1989 (I was in Aviation). Too bad Smith don't make another run of the .32 Longs in the Masterpiece configuration./beagle

rintinglen
01-02-2019, 03:58 PM
I have one of the old CA surplus guns and two Model 18s. I love 'em all. Carried a Model 15 in VN as a "go to" sidearm in VN and all through my Army career. We still had them in the Army when I retired in 1989 (I was in Aviation). Too bad Smith don't make another run of the .32 Longs in the Masterpiece configuration./beagle

Amen to that. A Model 16 would look good in my hand and safe.

Green Frog
01-02-2019, 07:07 PM

In the course of building my two custom K-frame 32s (blue 32 S&W Long and stainless 327 FM) I purchased a Model 67 and a Model 15 that for various reasons could not be used for the projects. I cleaned both of them up, replaced damaged sights on one and the grips on both then sold them to friends for only a little more than I had in them... I made the decision to keep my early post-War K-38 and my Baby Chief for 38 Special duties, but all this raving about 4" guns makes me wonder whether I should have kept one or the other? :???:

Froggie

LAH
01-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Mine is a 67 but always wanted a 15.

Patrick L
01-03-2019, 04:07 PM
I too have a soft spot for older Smith's, especially the "pre" models. I have 2, a nice pre 25-2 in .45 ACP and my pre 29 .44 magnum. Something about them old ones...

Harry O
01-07-2019, 05:50 AM
I bought about a half-dozen of the Model 15's back when they were being traded in by Police Departments. This was one at a time over a 3 or 4 year period around the turn of the century. I think the first one was about $125 and the last one was about $250 (high, but it was stainless and in excellent condition). All but two of them were rough on the outside, but essentially new inside. The two were a stainless steel model and a sandblasted/reblued one. Nice inside and outside.

All shoot accurately, nearly as good as my K-38's. I take them out once or twice a year to make sure they all still shoot. They do. I bought them to give to close relatives in need of a handgun for self defense (along with ammunition). I have given away two of them so far. They are a nice gun that anyone can learn to shoot well.

Baltimoreed
01-07-2019, 12:30 PM
233516I’ve always liked the pre model 10’s. Great .38 snubnose. Got another in the safe that I need to have a 2 inch bbl screwed all the way in and refinished but I can’t decide if I want another that’s nickel or a blue one.

Mackay Sagebrush
01-13-2019, 11:51 AM
The Model 15 is a favorite.

Well balanced and easy to shoot double action on targets. :)

https://i.imgur.com/sqOoBl4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CyReUZm.jpg

Mackay Sagebrush
01-13-2019, 11:56 AM
https://i.imgur.com/aTGNd4E.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6kaRibR.jpg

cabezaverde
01-13-2019, 07:02 PM
Jkrem,

Mine is from 1956 - birth year. I had to buy it when I figured that out. It has about 95% blue. It will get shot a lot once the weather breaks.

These are the grips you are looking for.

Edit to add. I have also managed to buy a Model 19 made the year I graduated high school.

Dale53
01-19-2019, 06:40 PM
I, too, am a fan of the Model 15. I picked one up at our local club sales table for a nominal fee three or four years ago. It was everything I had remembered in the past. What most today don’t realize is what great field pistols they are when properly loaded (as those excellent rabbit pictures show). The .38 Special with a proper load is about as good as it gets for edible small game.

They are one of the most undervalued pistols out there. When they were THE duty revolver, thousands of them were made. They are not as readily found in good shape but there are still deals out there. They are VERY useful.

FWIW,
Dale53

LAH
01-19-2019, 07:08 PM
The .38 Special with a proper load is about as good as it gets for edible small game.

FWIW,
Dale53

Agree, my choice.

Texas by God
01-19-2019, 07:54 PM
Even though it seems like I was born with a .45 auto in my hand, I'd probably grab the m15 when I needed to take a gun and GO.....

jonp
01-19-2019, 08:09 PM
I've got one next to my bed right now. The 15's are fantastic and with the right loads, tackdrivers.

IMHO some of the best SW made in weight v power. You stole that one for that price.

Jkrem
03-18-2019, 04:48 PM
I continue to be impressed with how this gun shoots, or rather how i’m able to shoot it. Unlike Cabez and Mackay’s beauty above, the finish on my pistol looks like it “fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down”. Probably has less than 50% finish and in fact it appears it may have been reblued at some point in its life. I have an old school gunsmith who specializes in fine bluing that has offered to reblue for $100. Would I be committing some sort of 5 screw K model owner’s law violation if I give in? I normally am in the school of not messing with guns. Opinions please.

tazman
03-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Currently, your revolver is a shooter. That isn't going to change just because you have it re-blued.
If you want it to look nicer, have it re-blued and enjoy.

TNsailorman
03-18-2019, 08:27 PM
My wife has a Model 15-3 beside the bed on her nightstand. I bought it for her for our 40th wedding anniversary years ago. I has a target hammer and trigger. I had a 15-2 that I bought in 1966 but turned it into a match gun with a heavy barrel and shot it in matches until I finally sold it for more than I had in it. My bedside gun is a .45ACP Revolver. I believe in a bigger hammer to drive nails. james

Texas by God
03-18-2019, 09:44 PM
I love to ply my paltry DA shooting skills on tin cans with my m15. The Lee 105swc saves lead and is a flat shooting wonder over 5grs of B'eye. It removes raccoons from trees much better than a .22 does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2019, 08:11 AM
Ive got two 15s and a 64 I bought as police trade ins about 10 years ago for a 150 bucks a piece. All three were in excellent shape. As a matter of fact I bought 3 more 15s that ive given away to family members. Big mistake I made was not taking a loan out and buying all 50 of the guns that dealer picked up. It probably would have made more money then buying silver.

JoeJames
03-19-2019, 10:10 AM
I like Smith's. Favorites are the kitguns and combat masterpieces. My Model 15-3 is about my favorite.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-19-2019, 11:37 AM
I continue to be impressed with how this gun shoots, or rather how i’m able to shoot it. Unlike Cabez and Mackay’s beauty above, the finish on my pistol looks like it “fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down”. Probably has less than 50% finish and in fact it appears it may have been reblued at some point in its life. I have an old school gunsmith who specializes in fine bluing that has offered to reblue for $100. Would I be committing some sort of 5 screw K model owner’s law violation if I give in? I normally am in the school of not messing with guns. Opinions please.

"Opinions please." Opinions are probably more easily obtained than are top quality bluing jobs on revolvers. If your gunsmith will do it for $100 and knows what he's doing, it's a good price and I'd go for it. Personally, I like my guns to look the best that they can. It's always a balancing act, deciding whether the reblue balances out against the present appearance and any alteration to the gun's value. In the case of M-15s, they're not as yet as scarce as original Schofields, so I wouldn't hesitate on that account. Would I hesitate to make my M-15 look better? No. So for me it would just be the level of skill of the gunsmith. I'd ask to see some, at least two, examples of his rebluing work, especially revolvers. Look for rounded edges that should be sharp, dished out screw holes, blurred lettering. I'm speaking as the voice of experience here, because I used to be in the business. Revolvers are just about the hardest rebluing job to get right. Scratches, pitting, etc. can only be removed by appropriate polishing and buffing, some filing if necessary. Once the metal is removed it can't be put back, and a goof-up remains eternally visible to the trained eye. The photos of your revolver show a badly worn finish, but not too much real abuse. The way to proceed might be to just chemically remove the remaining finish and the put the gun into a bluing tank without any further work. You'll come out with a nice even, all over blue without any of the irreversible horrors I've mentioned. This should cost much less than a polish job, will look much improved, but any dings or scratches will remain visible under the new bluing. So, there's an opinion, for what it's worth! Below is an example of a good polish and blue job. This was in poorer condition than yours is presently, and required a lot of hand work.
click to enlarge.

DG

Der Gebirgsjager
03-19-2019, 11:47 AM
Click to enlarge.
Sometimes one has trouble with the photo posting system. I reblued the revolver in the first photo, but not the second. I have another just like it which I did do the work on, and selected the wrong picture. I was unable to remove the second photo, and reached my photo storage limit for this website. I'll have to remove some photos from other posts in other threads to free up some space, and will then add the correct photo to his post as an edit.

DG

Just FYI, I think the 1917 in the wrong photo in the preceding post was reblued by the US Govt. between the world wars.
I did No.s 1, 3, & 4.