PDA

View Full Version : Sig 2022

crankycalico
12-26-2018, 11:10 PM
Ive finally been able to fondle one in the flesh, couldn't get the trigger lock off though. stupid store trying to screw customers.

There are old inferences from 8-10 years ago of batches with "bad machining causing the trigger to lock up after the first shot".

Any known problems with it?

And how does it deal with cast bullets? Ive always drooled over the old 38 special wadcutter 1911s, but cast bullets are close enough in a 9 or 40 sw case.

worker
12-27-2018, 02:09 AM
never heard of a problem with them..

are you looking for a 9 or .40 ?

there used to be a conversion barrel for .40 to shoot 9, by EFK Fire Dragon.

However, they stopped making them years ago -- because, they said, the barrel lugs on that gun are so beefy, that that they needed a different type of steel stock -- and the price of that did not justify demand...

Silvercreek Farmer
12-27-2018, 02:50 AM
I've put a couple thousand cast rounds through mine in 9mm. Got moderate leading despite trying just about everything suggested for 9mm. PC was the only thing that stopped it. A trip to Doug for some throat work might be the answer. The leading did seem to stabilize after a mag or so, and accuracy was still good enough to connect with an 8 inch plate at 25 yards most of the time. It seems to shoot low with the factory sights with several different boolit weights. Replacement front sights are available from Sig, but I haven't ordered one. The trigger is fine SA, but breaks far to the rear in DA. Changing the back strap to a larger one (Medium?) helped, but I could still use more despite having fairly average size hands. The largest back strap was unavailable last time I checked. It has never choked on a factory round.

crankycalico
12-27-2018, 03:10 AM
until now the only semi autos that felt GOOD or RIGHT in my hand were 1911s , beretta 92, and Taurus 92 and long discontinued variants they made.

I just found the factory installed grip rather nice, and not much of a hindrance in getting the controls to work.

I really don't know what caliber to go for.

osteodoc08
12-27-2018, 04:09 AM
I’m sure a 40 could be had for exceptionally cheap. Check out the P226 if the 2022 fits you well.!

Petrol & Powder
12-27-2018, 07:52 AM
I haven't shot one but the overall design seems fairly normal for these days. The upper end of the pistol is about as conventional as it gets. (Browning short recoil with a SIG type barrel to slide lock-up via a squared ejection port). If you like the grip angle of the 1911 it may work for you.

The French have adopted the pistol on a large scale. The overall design is very SIG like, high bore axis, de-cocker DA/SA action, hammer fired.

My first impression is they are priced a bit over what I would pay for one. If I wanted the combination of a hammer, a fairly vertical grip angle and a polymer frame, it would be a contender. I can't comment about its performance with cast bullets.

Texas by God
12-27-2018, 02:26 PM
I had a 2022 with .357Sig and .40 S&W barrels. The only thing I disliked was the feel in my hand so I let it go for something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

shooting on a shoestring
12-27-2018, 09:15 PM
I bought my Sig 2022 in 40 used. It was my first Sig, first pistol with night sights, first DA/SA gun. It taught me that the night sights and DA/SA are great for a defensive gun.

It did have two issues that were both deal breakers for me.

First, the feed ramp was finished with the same coating as the outside of the barrel. It would feed jacketed bulkets fine. Lead boolits would grind to a halt before they would climb it. I tried to polish through the coating but couldn’t. It would only shoot boolits if I greased the ramp. That was good for about a magazine or a bit more.

Second, the trigger quit working one day while shooting. Turns out there is a sacrificial o-ring like retainer on the right side of the trigger pivot which extends outside of the frame. To pull the trigger out, the retainer is crushed/broken to allow the pivot to be pushed out. On mine the retainer disappeared and let the pivot move out enough to disengage the trigger. I bought a few new retainers only to have it shed one and turn the trigger loose about every hundred rounds or so.

I traded it to my LGS with full disclosure. Traded it on a new P229 in 40. The 229 doesn’t have either of the issues the 2022 had. It’s feed ramp is polished and feeds boolets just fine. The trigger is engineered differently and has no issues coming apart unexpectedly. The 229 led me to buy the P226 in 9 mm. Another outstanding piece. That led to the P220 in 10.

That’s my experience. My cousin has a 2022, shoots only factory and not much of that. He thinks his is fine. My 229, 226 or 220 is way more gun, reliability, shoot-ability, hit-ability than the 2022.

Petrol & Powder
12-28-2018, 08:31 AM

Second, the trigger quit working one day while shooting. Turns out there is a sacrificial o-ring like retainer on the right side of the trigger pivot which extends outside of the frame. To pull the trigger out, the retainer is crushed/broken to allow the pivot to be pushed out. On mine the retainer disappeared and let the pivot move out enough to disengage the trigger. I bought a few new retainers only to have it shed one and turn the trigger loose about every hundred rounds or so.

Something is not right about that /\

Anyone with a 2022 care to chime in?

Sounds like the original owner may have improperly assembled the pistol before the OP received it or it was modified.

crankycalico
12-30-2018, 01:53 AM
anyone able to comment on the recoil difference between the 9mm and the 40 sw?

osteodoc08
12-31-2018, 01:44 AM
The 40 will be more “snappy”. Doesn’t bother me as I love my 10mm guns. Buy what makes you happy.

9.3X62AL
12-31-2018, 09:57 AM
That’s my experience. My cousin has a 2022, shoots only factory and not much of that. He thinks his is fine. My 229, 226 or 220 is way more gun, reliability, shoot-ability, hit-ability than the 2022.

That is my view as well--a whole lot more gun for a bit more money. If "saving money" is important without sacrificing durability & reliability, buy a Glock. The Sig-Sauers' high bore axis is off-putting to some people. I get along with it OK--but maybe I am less discerning or less refined than other arms hobbyists.

Osteodoc's comments on 40 S&W recoil parallel my own. Of course, I enjoy a shooting interlude with a Glock 29, too (sub-compact 10mm). See above comments regarding "less discerning or less refined".

Silvercreek Farmer
12-31-2018, 10:35 AM
Something is not right about that /\

Anyone with a 2022 care to chime in?

Sounds like the original owner may have improperly assembled the pistol before the OP received it or it was modified.

I looked at mine yesterday. The barrel and feed ramp are coated with something that looks like blueing. It is slick and not grabby at all. The finish is very worn on top of the barrel. I wonder if someone had it coated to make it look newer than it was. I didn't get into the trigger at all, but it has worked fine for thousands of rounds. My buddy's has as well.

crankycalico
01-01-2019, 05:11 AM
the insides are still standard sig 226/229 components that are on the 8-1000 sigs. So quality IS there.

2022 uses the REAL take down system that John Moses Browning came up with, its proven. And I myself get the heebee jeebies with the glock take down method. Its the only reason I never into the sigma line by smith, no way im gonna fire a gun to remove the barrel or reseat the barrel.

Petrol & Powder
01-04-2019, 08:53 AM
OK, not to start one of those Glock Lovers vs. Glock Haters rants but you do not "Fire" a Glock to field strip the pistol.

If you can't clear a gun before disassembling it, there are no words that I can write to address that issue.

You do have to dry fire a Glock to remove the slide but "dry fire" means you clear the gun before pulling the trigger. Do you disassemble your 1911 with a round in the chamber? Come on people.

crankycalico
01-05-2019, 02:42 AM
OK, not to start one of those Glock Lovers vs. Glock Haters rants but you do not "Fire" a Glock to field strip the pistol.

If you can't clear a gun before disassembling it, there are no words that I can write to address that issue.

You do have to dry fire a Glock to remove the slide but "dry fire" means you clear the gun before pulling the trigger. Do you disassemble your 1911 with a round in the chamber? Come on people.

I do remember a guy in basic training who was able to achieve the very desirable accidental discharge into a clearing barrel... on a day we weren't even issued ammunition.