PDA

View Full Version : Had and interesting sizing experience

MSD MIke
12-26-2018, 08:34 PM
So I have recently begun powder coating with good results. However, I did have interesting experience when sizing. I have used Lee push through sizers (No lube for sizing) for most calibers I powder coat and had great results. I don't have a push through die for 44 so I used my lube-sizer with a .432 die. Thinking I was smart I spritzed the bullets with some spray on case lube (Frankford Arsenal) to ease the sizing operation and despite the lube I was having a lot of difficulty and even had to knock out a couple of stuck bullets. So, I cleaned things up and started pushing them through dry and surprisingly (To me anyway) it was an effortless operation after that. Has anyone experienced this, where lube actually made it harder to push a bullet through a sizing die?
Anyway, if your lubing bullets before sizing and having a hard time you might give it a shot lube free and see how it works.

Mike

12-26-2018, 09:22 PM
No personal experience, but perhaps the carrier/solvent was making your PC a bit tacky?

jcren
12-26-2018, 09:36 PM
I did try tumbling pc bullets is johnsons liquid floor wax, turns out it softens pc.

Conditor22
12-26-2018, 10:02 PM
MSD, I'm concerned that your PC is not completely cured. I've sprayed pc'd boolits with case lube and had no problems.

murf205
12-27-2018, 01:09 AM
For what it's worth, I have a push through 44 sizer die and I use a light coating of light weight synthetic machine oil (3N1) to ease the pressure required to size boolits. I have noticed no softening of the pc at all and I am squeezing my boolits down as much as .004. The more I use this die the smoother it gets.

44Blam
12-27-2018, 02:10 AM
With PC'd boolits, I put a very tiny bit of Ben's Red on a boolit about every 10-20 boolits.

MSD MIke
12-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys, I just went dry and it worked perfectly so I don't really have a problem to solve. Powder coat (Powder by the Pound Gloss Black) passes the smash test, and doesent seem soft from the lube.
I just thought it was strange that putting something slippery on the bullet caused it to stick in the die. Lol, my first reaction was to add more lube but that didn't help. Ran them dry and sizing (about .003) was smooth as can be.

Mike

farmerjim
12-27-2018, 10:16 AM
I use a tiny bit of Hornady one shot to make the job of sizing Hi-Tek and PC coated about half the effort.

David2011
12-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Most of my boolits are sized in a Star. I find that powder coated boolits size far easier than nekked lead. Once I had the very bad idea of putting Kroil in the die in the Star. Boolit stuck HARD and was very difficult to get back out. I don’t understand what happened but won’t do it again.

fredj338
12-28-2018, 03:13 PM
I have used oneshot before, does make things easier with harder bullets & more sizing.